SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tdogmom

New tdogmom story to share :)

tdogmom
16 years ago

Okay, gotta share a new story to make you all smile...

Yesterday, while my little kiddies were at 'recess' a 1st grader came in to my room. I was busy scrubbing the Tacky Glue off one of the tables (despite my little ones' help in cleaning the room, Tacky Glue is one thing they just can't seem to get cleaned off the tables). This 'big kid' happened to have a plant in his hand.

I asked, "So, how can I help you?" as I continued to scrub (this is, after all, my so-called break time) and my munchkins are certain to either 1) come in to ask me some inane question, 2) tell me some inane thing, 3) come in because they have had an 'accident,' etc.

He said, "Mrs. Glover said to come and ask you if these are eggs. I'm the only one who has them on my plant." He then shows me his Nasturtium. What is on the leaves, you may be wondering? hmmmmm? I can tell you that pretty much ALL of my Kindergartners could probably tell him (obviously, he wasn't in my class when he was in Kindergarten!) the answer. He then proceeds to say, "We think they're eggs."

I then say, my hand stilled from the scrubbing, "I hate to say this but, now what's your name?" "Dylan" "Dylan, that just happens to be caterpillar poop."

"Caterpillar poop?!!" he exclaims. "Really?" "Yep," I continue to scrub, then I stop and say, "You know, I bet there is a Cabbage White caterpillar somewhere on your plant. Let's take a quick look around and see if we spot it."

He hands me the pot and I turn it around in my hands, scrutinizing the meager offering. Sure enough, there it was, the culprit. Calm as you please, was a lovely green CW larva, hanging on to the stem. Nearby? Another CW larva! I point both out to Dylan and say, "There you go, Dylan! These little guys are what' causing you to have the little spheres on your plant.

He was utterly astounded. I asked him if we could take the plant out to show my Kindergartners and of course, he was thrilled. My kids were so excited, as we had just discussed the 'camouflaging' that CWs do. I told Dylan that we'd be most happy to take the larvae from him and raise them but he wanted to take them back to his teacher.

Later, I found out from his teacher that he returned with the plant, only to share that the so-called eggs were nothing more than 'caterpillar poop' and that was it. He never mentioned the caterpillars to her! Typical, isn't it? tee-hee!

My Kindergartners, of course, were THRILLED, because the other 1st grade teachers, having heard this, told them that we could have any caterpillars we find because they wanted ONLY the flowers and plants. :) Talk about a heaven-sent message to a bunch of butterfly junkies! Instead of going to get picked up, they all hung out, checking out the various Nasturtiums planted by the 1st graders...

Okay, what type of monster have I raised?!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor