SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
metamog

Echinopsis seeds, light requirements for germination?

metamog
18 years ago

Hi!

I got inspired, by some photos uploaded here some week ago, to build a germination box for cactus seeds.

Built this box a couple of days ago. Planted 60 pots with different Echinopsis seeds in it (Trichocereus, Lobivias & Echinopsis hybrids).

The measurements of the box is 60 * 40 cm and the pots are 6*6 cm (in 10*6 rows).

I've placed 2 * 18 watts tubes in there, approx. 2 inch away from the seeds. One Osram Fluora and one cold white (I also mounted 2 reflectors over the tubes, these reflectors I got from a cheap IR heater that I disassembled).

When I measured the temperature today there was around 30 degrees Celsius, so I replaced the cold white tube with another Osram Fluora, since I've read that they produce less heat (now there's just 2 Osram Fluoras in there).

I have a question: Does my Echinopsis seeds require any light to germinate, that is not delivered by those 2 Osram Fluoras (grow lights)? (might be lacking red wavelenghts)

I have not seen any seed burst yet, and I sowed the seeds the day before yesterday.

Morgan

Image link:

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH