SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trudi_d

Big Storm coming to the North East

trudi_d
14 years ago

So what did I do today in the garden?

I took a bag of grass seed and scattered grass over the brown patches. The snow will cover it over and as it melts the snow will drag it down to make good contact with the soil. Throughout winter it will lay dormant and then sprout in very early spring--well, whatever survives decimation by hungry birds and critters that will find it. But I sowed heavily. I've direct sowed grass every year before the first heavy snow and its done wonders for my lawn.

Crossing fingers!

T--who also took in the last of the lawn chairs, tools, and whatnots from around the garden while Hubs got the snowblower running.

Comments (44)

• shoregrowin

Oh, I am LOVIN this! We have about 4 inches with MORE to come this afternoon. The waves on the bay are huge! Cedar trees in the driveway are almost bent to the ground with the weight of the drifting snow. Classic Nor'easter with 12-20 inches expected inland, less on the shore.
    There is a huge bin of hickory, oak and cherry firewood on the porch, Christmas music playing while I wrap gifts and the neighbors are slogging over at 5 for a poker party. WOO HOO!!!! And the best part- a brand spankin new bottle of Berentzen Apfel Korn- German apple schnapps liqueur to keep us toasted- I mean toasty....
    It's all good!
    Cheers to your butterscotch schnapps Trudi!

Shore

• shoregrowin

Oh, I am LOVIN this! We have about 4 inches with MORE to come this afternoon. The waves on the bay are huge! Cedar trees in the driveway are almost bent to the ground with the weight of the drifting snow. Classic Nor'easter with 12-20 inches expected inland, less on the shore.
    There is a huge bin of hickory, oak and cherry firewood on the porch, Christmas music playing while I wrap gifts and the neighbors are slogging over at 5 for a poker party. WOO HOO!!!! And the best part- a brand spankin new bottle of Berentzen Apfel Korn- German apple schnapps liqueur to keep us toasted- I mean toasty....
    It's all good!

Shore

• Related Discussions

How are you Roses holding up in the North East?

Q

Comments (8)
    urk, well it is something of a mixed bag on this side of the pond. After we all faced hosepipe bans after months of drought, it started to rain in April and has not stopped since apart from 1 freaky weekend of real summer heat (for England, 26C is almost tropical), So, blackspot has definately arrived early along with many, many evil beasties, Even so, some roses are quite stupendously lush as is (almost)everything else, especially weeds. I don't get around to doing much staking and boy, am I paying the price now, after another wet and windy week - giant foxgloves leaning drunkenly into oceans of massive ox-eye daisies and giant sowthistles which appeared practically overnight. So, I am finding myself somehat glutted with abundance, a tad anxious as I am really not keeping up with tropical levels of growth (East Anglia is the dryest part of the UK and water has always been much more of a limiting factor than heat or light) and the awful spectre of early blight is looming - although my tiny tomatoes are so small, any self-respecting blight spore will surely move on to leafier pastures. On the other hand, the tree-like potatoes are presenting a much juicier target. On a more rosy note, the multifloras (Ghislaine, Goldfinch), hybrid musks and the wichuranas are full of promise - just starting a full-on bloom cycle but the chinas are emphatically not happy with our cool wet spring (Mutabilis is a ghastly skeleton of mildewy and sparse foliage and Sophie's P and Cramoisi are looking glum. Bourbons are not having a great time either whereas a couple of rather 'meh' modern floribundas and climbers (Arthur Bell, Penny Lane, Meg) are having the time of their lives - I may have to make more of an effort generally with watering - after doing the veggies and rudbeckia type perennials I misguidedly planted (My ahem 'prairie'), I am dying of boredom from standing about with a hosepipe (there are shared standpipes at the allotment so soaker hoses and timers or sprinklers are not allowed).The slugs and snails are epic. Have resorted to sluggo for the first time in my life. It is a terrible year for butterflies too - almost as rare as hen's teeth.
    ...See More

Figs and Harsh Winters in the North East

Q

Comments (4)
    here is a note about bringing figs out of dormancy sooner in cold areas.i'm in buffalo, ny.and the last frost here is around memorial day. last year i had a bunch of small fig plants in my basement that i was afraid they would die in the cold. they broke dormancy early around first week of april. even with lights or a window they the new growth grew thin and week and a poor yellow color. then when it was time to bring them out , i had to harden then but within two weeks all the leaves fell off the growth from indoors. eventual it all grew back but i had spagehti branches and the figs grew late and never ripened. so i wouldn't suggest breaking the early dormancy. good luck with all atemps. kevin
    ...See More

North East Snow Alert

Q

Comments (13)
    I agree with Azzalea. The hype is enormous. If they were predicting three feet of snow, I could see it, but not for 18 inches. I am so grateful to be just south of the storm, nevertheless. I'd be happy to never see snow again. Our weather reporters have invented a new word this year --plowable. "Expect a plowable amount of snow." Good grief. Anyway, I hope those in the NE are hunkered down and have plenty of bread, milk and eggs. Good luck, it does sound like a heck of a lot of snow is on the way. Too bad for anyone who had planned to fly out this weekend.
    ...See More

North east weather!.......

Q

Comments (1)
    We got just under 6 inches of snow more than originally forecasted and count ourselves lucky given what the eastern part of the state had to endure. We had a lot of drifting from the winds so today we were able to get out and get the snowblower going to clean up as much as we could before our fingers started going numb. Sun is shining but the winds are picking back up again. Our weather forecast is calling for more snow in the coming days along with zero temps. All the plants are tucked under snow again but the deer have been visiting as I can see the prints in the snow. Julia
    ...See More
  • shoregrowin

It's all good!

Shore

• token28001
    14 years ago

It's been raining and sleeting here most of the day. We've had a few snowflakes. Just 20 miles north of us, it's all snow. The temperature is warmer here than there since they are at a higher elevation. Hopefully it won't turn to ice overnight. Tomorrow will be a good day for packaging 50 seed packs. I've got to dig into my box and pull out 100 for my own solstice sowing. So there's that to do. Lots of coffee and seeds. Couldn't ask for a better Saturday.

• lgslgs
    14 years ago

I was really hoping to have my direct sow seeds for goatland all set to go before weather like this came in. Babysitting Buster has put me behind schedule with that. Hopefully after this storm passes the ground clears and I can catch the next one.

Lynda

• Pamchesbay
    14 years ago

It is snowing here on Stingray Point (37.6° N 76.4° W)!! We are on a peninsula, surrounded on 3 sides by water. The Bay temperature is 45 degrees, so predicting is harder. Our favorite weather guys have a SNOW HOPE INDEX. This morning, our Snow Hope Index was 8, then 8.5. The snow is coming down steadily now, the air temps dropping fast.

Today, I worked on the hoop house. Put down several inches of sea wrack from the last nor'easter, then a layer of cardboard, then 45 pavers. I pushed the PVC pipe into the reebar, framed the bottom with lumber. We may get winds of 40+ mph so I decided to wait til the storm ends to cover with plastic. Now I need to work on WS containers. I'm sooo behind!

• pippi21
    14 years ago

You and Token must drink the same coffee..you both seem to have an abundance of energy all the time. Anxious to see those pictures of you putting the hoop house together. We've seen Token's already. The deer are already roaming down our court; don't know what they are eating in my flowerbeds but every morning, there are deer tracks in the mulch. There's batchelor buttoms left in one bed and azalea and in other bed, dried clematis vines, moss pink phlox, cluster bellflower and daisies. I saw where hunks of those volunteer snapdragons had been taken out. Yet next to Contesse de Bouchard clematis, the patch of snapdragons that I had planted last Spring, I'd go out and see where some animal had pulled on that bunch, but must not have liked it because it was spit out and on the sidewalk. Guess my cayenne red pepper and the liquid fence worked. Of course, a squirrel had dug a deep hole right behind the snapdragons. All of the grocery stores were like a zoo today, my neighbor said she went to 3 grocery stores(large chains)and no bananas. I bet the stores are probably already running low on supplies. When they predict about 12 inches of snow, our area panics and hits all the stores.

• drippy
    14 years ago

You still have lawn, Trudi?

• terrene
    14 years ago

Here in metrowest of Boston it sounds like we are going to be on the northern edge of this huge eastern US storm. We may get 1/2 foot, versus 1 foot or more along the coast of New England and south of there. Phew...this is not how it usually is. Often the coastal areas get less snow than the interior or they get rain.

This sounds like an impressive storm. Could be a white Christmas for lots of people this year!

• P POD
    14 years ago

Trudy, your WS lawn seeds sounds like a great idea that I'd like to try. Where do you purchase seeds, and do you get named turf-quality varieties?

Thanks for your invaluable contributions to GW and for information on the above.

• ontheteam
    14 years ago

ere in metrowest of Boston it sounds like we are going to be on the northern edge of this huge eastern US storm. We may get 1/2 foot, versus 1 foot or more along the coast of New England and south of there. Phew...this is not how it usually is. Often the coastal areas get less snow than the interior or they get rain.

This sounds like an impressive storm. Could be a white Christmas for lots of people this year! \

Yeah that 495 to 24 rain snow line ...it's practically drawn over my house. Normally we get the rain end..but it looks like we are gonna take it on the chin this time.
    Getting the snow blower shovels snow melt cars full of gas and Break milk and eggs of course...( it's an old running joke here in MA ... gotta go get bread milk and eggs if its going to snow..)

• PVick
    14 years ago

If this storm stays on track, they're saying 6-10 inches in NYC. I'm all set up for a baking marathon this weekend - cookies galore! Might even get a head start on Christmas dinner - spinach pies are one thing planned, but I'll have to run out and get the spinach before the snow hits.

It'll be fun with the snow falling and great smells coming from my kitchen!

PV

• dorisl
    14 years ago

" I'm sooo behind! "

??? how can you be so far behind when it hasnt even started yet?

got plenty of time to drink that coffee here.....

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have to do shopping on Monday for the local family but distant siblings were sent collections from Stash Tea which is my favorite gift for people who already have everything. Tea you can drink and enjoy for months on end.

Drippy, yes I still have some lawn. It gives me something to walk on between the beds ;-)

PPod, I bought the seeds this Fall at Home Depot. I always get a high-quality blend for "play" areas--it regrows quick. Of course, it doesn't survive being peed on by Lizzy, especially in summer when the hot sun just broils that in. I'm pretty sure it was a Scotts blend I used but I don't recall which one--the bag cost about $25, maybe seven pounds of seed. In my experience grass seed is something I won't skimp on because you get what you pay for. I do maintain the lawn in the summer by digging out whatever grasses sprout in the veggie beds and tranplanting them into the lawn. I do this before we have some serious rain--overcast weather is great for transplanting grass plugs. I'm very tough on the garden and rarely water the lawn or any of the beds. The tomatoes and planters sometimes but not anything else.

You can also WS trays of perennial lawn grass and cut it like brownies to make your own grass plugs to improve the lawn in Spring.

• Pamchesbay
    14 years ago

Paralyzing Nor'easter (from Accuweather.com)

"Make no mistake, folks. If you live anywhere from Virginia to southern New England, you are staring right down the barrel of a major snowstorm. This will be one of those classic nor'easters that can dump an inch or more of snow per hour.

"The belt of heaviest snow, and absolute worst travel conditions, will extend from Virginia through northeastern Maryland and New Jersey to southeastern New England. This includes the major cities of Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Boston. Basically, the whole I-95 corridor is going to turn into a real nightmare for highway travelers.

"This will become one of those memorable winter storms, and it's going to be quite difficult to get around."

Here is a link that might be useful: Paralyzing Nor'easter

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Milk? Yes.

Eggs? Got 'em.

Bread. Yep.

Meat, chicken fish? Yep, got all that too.

Butterscotch Schnappes? Hey Yeah! Thank you dear son.

• not_a_contessa
    14 years ago

I think we'll be okay with this one, the worst of it will be east of here, but we will get some snow. I plan to do some baking for a couple of days anyway, so I won't mind being indoors. I got a breath of fresh air this afternoon, we drove to the lake to see if any water foulers were about, nary a one in sight. But...I found a bunch of seed pods of what I believe to be Honey Locust tree, got 30 seeds out of them. Huge seed pods, dark brown, they look like Carob pods but not as thick. I get so darned excited over seeds!!!

Mary

• pippi21
    14 years ago

It started snowing here about 10:15 pm..streets and sidewalks are all covered and it's sticking to the grass now. Maybe the weathermen finally got something right for a change!

• ontheteam
    14 years ago

yep cookie baking planed here as well..and wrapping...and if I get all that done seed sowing. Not really a solstice kinda girl..and just the ones that need a long cold period.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

I've got to go to work. :(

According to the reports I've been following, it won't start snowing here until about an hour before I leave work, so hopefully I'll get home okay. I'm the world's biggest snow-driving wimp. I'm hoping the timing of the forecast is right.

My son has a hockey game at 8PM tomorrow. The rink NEVER closes or cancels anything. Which means the school will have to pay for the ice time either way. Which means they won't cancel the game if they have to pay. Well, at least it's a home game for us. No hour of travel... well, maybe it will be an hour - or more! - lol, but at least we're not leaving town.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a cancelled game and an evening looking through seed catalogs.

:)
    Dee
    P.S. Got my milk this afternoon, and, by sheer coincidence, picked up some eggs from the local farm this evening. Hmm, no bread. What is it with that anyway, lol? Do people sit around and eat French toast during storms...? I did get some toilet paper, though!

• tazebell
    14 years ago

we got it big time! snow snow snow.

I don't know that I will be able to plant any seeds till after New Year's although the kitchen is getting full with all the juice containers I plan on using for winter sowing this go around.

I have seed just sitting here, wondering if I still love them. I do.

Happy Holidays friends!

• ktinmd
    14 years ago

We have about six inches so far in Montgomery County. Woo-hoo! I hate snow when I have to drive to work in it, but it's great for weekend fun with the kids.

kt

• kqcrna
    14 years ago

Started here as rain last night. We only have about an inch of snow on the ground now, supposed to total a couple of inches.

I can't afford to be snowed in- still too much to do to get ready for Santa. Have been working my butt off at work (surgery center)- up to 12 hours/day. The whole world seems to wait until December to have their surgery. These people wouldn't die of carpal tunnel if they kept it until January.
    nuts.

Karen

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    14 years ago

8:30 am - no snow here yet. oops take that back. Just went to check and is snowing!
    sigh.
    don't like snow.

• tammyinwv
    14 years ago

We woke up to 5" of snow this morning and its still coming down. We have the wood stove going, and hubby is out trying to plow the driveway before it gets any worse. I guess now I can finish up the toy diaper bags and diapers I am making for the grand daughters, and get some cookies made if my electric holds out. it has been flashing on and off since the snow hit.Yesterday my 3 and half yo granddaughter woke up and looked outside all excited because she thought it had snowed. Actually there was just a heavy frost on the ground LOL. She will be excited when she wakes up this morning. She has gotten to go outside once this winter to sleigh ride, but the light snow didnt last long. This looks like it could hang around for a few days.
    Tammy

• ontheteam
    14 years ago

Poor Karen... I think it's to maximize the health insurance benefits... Nov Dec is the only time I see the dentist if I can help it..and DH makes me go lol

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    14 years ago

Trudi,

I heard smittens of this possible storm earlier in the week, and when I saw your post yesterday I went to the Environment Canada website, but saw nothing. This morning the 'reds' on the map are starting to show, and the warnings for snow and ice pellets are being updated every hour.

Our time for this one will come tomorrow at noon. I'd better get those 40 lbs of spent bananas in the compost today. :O) That's after I get the Christmas tree off the floor. UGH! The cat took it down last night so now I have 10 feet of green and broken decorations looking at me. Funny thing is my first reaction was to laugh my head off. I think right now I'm in denial...

• P POD
    14 years ago

Trudi, thanks for all the information on turf seed, plus sowing & growing suggestions.

Enjoy the snow....and the Holidays!

• Pamchesbay
    14 years ago

Last night, we had snow that turned to rain. It rained all day and I was seriously bummed out. At 6 pm, the snow started and is still going great guns. We won't get the amount that most Atlantic Seaboard folks get. Heck, at least we have snow in December (and another 1.6" of rain).

I believe another storm is forecast for Dec 24 & 25. Maybe we will have a white Christmas. I can't remember the last time.

• northforker
    14 years ago

Here out on the eastern tip of Long Island we have a winter wonderland this morning! Stunning - glistening white for as far as the eye can see. Weather station says about 20 inches dumped overnight and more coming down till noon.

Love it! Hubby is going to try to dig out our cross country skis, I've got homemade gifts to finish for Christmas (jewelry - hubby jokes I go from seeds to beads..)and all is good. I hope they can't clear the roads (there are huge drifts and it very blowy)and the office is closed tomorrow!!!!

Nancy

• kqcrna
    14 years ago

Keep it. Please, keep the white stuff away.

My son is supposed to fly home, from Seattle to Cinti, on Wednesday, connecting in Chicago. One year he came close to spending the holiday alone in Chicago due to a snowstorm closing all local airports, as well as O'Hare. He ended up getting a ride with a stranger by networking with friends by cell phone.

I don't need a white Christmas or any presents. I only want my son to arrive home safely as scheduled.

Karen

• drippy
    14 years ago

I'm with you, Karen - I have 2 flying in next week - but I think since the weather pattern is so active now, it should be quieting down a bit mid-week.

I'm a born & raised New Englander, but I am so happy to be where it is a bit warmer and no snow right now. There may be a certain charm to a white Christmas, but I don't miss it at all.

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

So how much snow did you get, nan & trudi? And those out east?

Watched the news and feel pretty worried for those who travel.
    I know how you feel, Karen & drippy. My son was traveling on Wednesday Dec 9 when 8 inches of snow was predicted.
    I was terribly worried. Hope everyone will be safe.

We had rain at first on Friday morning. It then turned into wet snow. It is still snowing now, a little bit.
    I might get off my b and start my WS today. :-D
    I already set out my makeshift table last week for my containers.
    Whenever I see sawhorses or futon headboards left out in the alley, I would grab them.
    They make the most beautiful shelves for my containers. :-)

• northforker
    14 years ago

We got around 20 inches (a offical report from Baiting Hollow, 15 min drive in good weather from here) but it has blown into huge drifts around the property. Hubby just woke up, looked out the window and groaned. Gonna be a LOT of shoveling just to get the cars out of the driveway.

I love it. Also have a daughter driving in from way upstate this week on Tuesday, but I think the snow will be cleared off the roads by then.

• terrene
    14 years ago

Here in metrowest Boston, we have about 6 inches so far. It's cold - about 17F and the wind is blooooowing. Rolled out of bed and went out to shovel the driveway at about 8:00 this morning. I was quite happy to discover that the snow is so light and fluffy, it was very easy to shovel! You can even sweep it with a broom.

Just watched New England cable news and they're talking about up to 2 feet of snow, and heavier wetter snow, down in southeast New England. Glad that's not happening here!

• kqcrna
    14 years ago

Mone, if my son gets stranded in Chicago again I'll just tell him to drop in to your house for Christmas dinner!

We only got about an inch of snow yesterday, about another inch overnight last night. We lucked out on this one.

Karen

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

Well, I just rolled my lazy butt out of bed and looked out the window. Still can't tell how much we got because of the snow drifts, but it's not as bad as I expected. Maybe 6 to 8 inches.

I don't mind snow at all as long as I don't have to drive WHILE it's falling. I lucked out - got home from work last night before snowfall, my son's hockey game was cancelled (still surprised on that one!) and the family was all tucked away safely home (or wherever they were going to be) before snowfall.

Of course it will take me all day to shovel out, but I really don't mind. I love to be outside, pretty much no matter what the weather. The only bad thing is I left my boots in my car last night, lol. I will have to rough it in my sneakers while I dig a path out to the car!

Despite the forecast calling for snow all day, it has stopped and it even looks like the sun is trying to break through!

:)
    Dee

• monkey665
    14 years ago

Hi

It started snowing here at 9 pm last night. Its still snowing. I'm not sure how much snow we have gotten. THey say somewhere around 18" and still coming down. I'm debating about going out to shovel now or waiting until later. I feel as if I need to get something else done today. made and cleaned up from breakfast and lunch. Straightened up. Should be sorting seeds but I know once I start I am going to get interupted. I have a 3 and 11 year olds here. One is as bad as the other. 3 year old will go home tomorrow night. I will say that the snow does look beautiful and as long as everyone is home and no one has to go out its great.

Linda

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We're now mostly dug out. THere's a path all the way around the house, the driveway is dug, the sidewalk is dug, we dug the neighbor's sidewalk too. Afterwards sliced and baked a roll of icebox cookies, I made chicken soup and Jackie made grilled cheese with turkey bacon. Everyone has eaten and showered and now there is snoring happening. We're all very tired. Sigh.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

Sounds like a wonderful day, Trudi! I did the same - shoveled all day. Just came in and made me some bacon and eggs, and then I'll shower and I think tonight we'll decorate the tree (finally!) Our poor tree was sitting outside in a bucket of water all week, where it froze solid, and then we brought it inside yesterday before the snow hit to thaw out. DH set it up this afternoon and now it needs some lights and ornaments.

If I can stay awake, that will be next on the agenda!

Hope everyone is warm and safe tonight!
    Dee

• northforker
    14 years ago

Snow day here tomorrow - :) -almost all the schools in the county are closed, kids are going to have a ball in all this snow! My office is closed too. While many coworkers will go in anyway, I for one plan to drink cocoa at home and not be a good girl for once!!! I'll probably end up working anyhow on the home computer.

We have some drifts on the property that are 4 ft high. We have the driveway cleared and did take the car out earlier but the roads aren't so good(especially by farm fields were the snow is blowing through like crazy.) Seems like the town workers are on top of the plowing but then it all blows around.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

I love that Trudi invents wintersown lawns :)

It's cold as I dunno what here tonight (cold for us) but thankfully the snow missed us!

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

GGG,

It's more attempting than inventing ;-O

But somehow, it works out.

• MLcom
    14 years ago

Well we got pounded up to 24 inches and then it drifted to 3 feet in areas. Hubby shovled the driveway on sat and I did 2 360's on the way to the barn. Spent sat making sure every one had food and water cause was not sure when could get back to them.

Hubby thought what a great day to do xmas shopping, he did his lol all by him self and honest did a great job, no one else was out with 4 wheel drive it seems and those like me did a slide decided not to venture out again.

Funny on 12/15 did my last sowing of the pasture grass here in south NJ 5 lbs of perennial rye. I bought alot of seeds at the seed store( think where the farmers go to get seeds).

Been saveing up kitty litter jugs for my tomato seeds this year and a few lettuce for the peeps and my self.

On thursday it was like 30 degrees here at 4 pm and heard a sound would not like to hear a week before xmas.
    PEEPS, my little bany hen hatched out 9 chicks. So nabbed up the mom and put them in the kitchen at the farm house to stay warm. She loves her little ones and since her first hatch was 4 ducklings this summer figured she needed her little ones. Going to be a long winter and need to grow them some lettuce. Thank goodness for this forum and winter sowing.

ML

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County