SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linda_centralokzn6

Woo! Hoo! I'm in Pipevine Heaven!!!

linda_centralokzn6
17 years ago

I know that you all were probably getting tired of hearing my whining about hoping that this will be the year that I get eggs on my Pipevine. My "Ultimate" dream was to get a "Pipevine colony" established here, instead of just getting migrants in the fall.

Wellllllll, 2007 is the year!!!! It's official. I have pipevine eggs on my pipevines. Thurs. evening, I was trimming some pipevine stems, as Marlyn was bringing me some hungry pipevine cats, that a friend from Drumright had brought to her the weekend before as they had run out of food. The eggs were layed right before Easter weekend, when Drumright had a hard freeze. She brought about 250 eggs in with some vine. And they were down to the nubbins, Marilyn said when she got them. The lady had no leaves left after the hard freeze.

Low and behold, I found about 20 Pipevine eggs on a stem, as I was doing the cuttings!!! They have found my vines!!! And, early in the spring when I have lots of tender growth. It has taken them 3 years to find them. I hadn't had a chance to check out the rest of the vines until yesterday. I found 3 small cats. And, I got to watch her laying eggs on my tomentosa, my serpentaria, and my clematitis!!!

Back to the Drumright cats, Marilyn brought me 21 pretty good sized cats, Friday. I've been busy all weekend, feeding the hungry lil mongers. They've ate like there is no tomorrow. Now, they have slowed down on the eating. Some have started emptying their bowels, and they are running all over the cage, searching for the right spot to pupate.

Yes, I'm in heaven. :) Now, I'm hoping that I have enough food for everyone. Susan, how many cats would your vines handle? They eat ALOT!!!

So, they are in the egg stage for about 6 days. Cat stage for about 2 weeks? And, crys. stage for how long?

I may have to think about putting some eggs in the fridge, like Mary. But, I don't think that my vines would recover in 2 weeks, unless the weather stays like it has.

Comments (13)

Sponsored