SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chaparralgirl

NononoNoNoNONONONO!!! Not Aloe Cancer!!!!!!

chaparralgirl
12 years ago

So I've finally found an opportunity to sit down and prep Erin's plants for shipment, and when I got to the Aloe Walmsley's Blue, as I was feathering the soil from the roots, I started to notice something peculiar on one of the plants...

{{gwi:497480}}

And it set off little warning bells in the back of my mind.

{{gwi:497482}}

The word "cancer" popped into my head, so I jumped on the laptop and did a search. And I'm almost positive now that is is, in fact, Aceria aloinis - the dreaded aloe mite, aka Aloe "Cancer."

{{gwi:497483}}

{{gwi:497484}}

{{gwi:497485}}

{{gwi:497486}}

{{gwi:497487}}

What's interesting to me is that the infected plant seems to be growing right out of the base of an otherwise perfectly healthy-looking aloe.

{{gwi:497488}}

{{gwi:497490}}

I'm reading up on this cursed little bug and what I can possibly do about it; but I'm worried:

1. All four aloe plants were root-bound together in the same pot. Do I need to pitch all four of them?

1. I've been keeping all of Erin's plants together in the same box. (I take them out and put them outside to sun, then put them back in the box to bring them in after dark.) Should I be worried about the other plants, too?

I certainly don't recall seeing this "cancer" when I first bought the plants. I do, however, remember seeing other aloes at Lowes with it.

What should I do?? I don't want to send Erin mite-infested plants!

*CG*

Comments (9)