SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Giant Swallowtail & Pearl Crescent

MissSherry
14 years ago

My first giant swallowtail of the season has emerged. I'm pretty sure by her thin horizontal bar that she's a female -

{{gwi:474261}}
This pearl crescent nectared on the red pentas in my garden today. I've always wanted to raise some of these little beauties, but I've never found any caterpillars. I've even planted some asters that I thought they might use, but so far, no luck. Maybe some day -

{{gwi:474262}}
I released two more American ladies, and a female common checkered skipper is hanging around some of the sida plants close to the bottom of the porch steps. Three of the red-spotted purple cats have pupated, the others are growing, several more red admirals have pupated, also. I found three sleepy orange cats. The palamedes and spicebush swallowtail cats are doing fine. I saw a newly emerged looking male tiger swallowtail today, there are lots of silver spotted skipper cats on the locust trees and lead plants - 'no long-tailed skippers yet. Other than not having any pipevine swallowtails this year, everything is going normally.

I can't wait for the zebra swallowtails to emerge from their chrysalids!

Sherry

Comments (9)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH