SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bernergrrl

Help with alternatives to traditional American Lady host plants

bernergrrl
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I planted some pussytoes (Antennaria plantaginifolia) and some Prairie Sage (Artemisia ludoviciana), but they are just coming up, and I didn't order enough for a CROWD which is what will be happening soon. The pussytoes have so many eggs on them, and I think there might even be a couple of nests already though I didn't pry to verify.

I have been looking around and can't find any of the typical host plants growing "wild," and I might try a sort of local place for more pussytoes (Possibility Place)--it's an hour drive if I need to do it.

In the books, it mentions that ALs will eat related composites of the Antennaria and Artemesia and Gnaphilium, so what does that mean? One book mentioned Burdock, which I have definitely seen and would be able to feed. Ladobe had mentioned Cirsium in an older thread. Will they eat just plain thistle (which I have and can always find more)?

Anything else that might be common? Will they eat hollyhocks? Don't have that, but maybe I can find a neighbor who has them, and they won't be treated with any pesticide.

Otherwise, I'll just bring one in and leave the rest to nature. If no one know if they'll eat anything else beside the traditional plants, I might experiment with this "related composites" thing.

Thank you for any help! :)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor