SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gail_ish

All this snow in Ontario has anyone started anywhere?

gail_ish
16 years ago

Hi all,

I don't know how the rest of you are faring, but we've had alot of snow in parts of Canada & I'm in Ontario & we got a good dumping on. When all this snow started, I was hoping it was a fluke and that it would melt so I could clean up the pot ghetto & get it ready for this winter sowing season. No such luck  it looks like this snow is here to stay. Some of you may already know that weÂve been renovating  we have a 150 year old log house and we gutted the whole top floor, right back to the logs, resized all the rooms, new wiring, insulation, drywall, flooring, heating system and we did all of it ourselves except the wiring (& we helped on that!). Which is why I have a pot ghetto  NO time for my poor garden this year  the odd hour here & there.

But now the upstairs is almost done (new bed is coming on Wednesday for the new master bedroom), so we will be working on the next floor & hope to be done by spring, so I would like to have some WSown plants ready to go. Other than the already-established border that I want to add to, I would like to start a red bed in the barnyard & fence off the old veggie garden & plant veggies. This old property has an honest-to-goodness underground root cellar, so IÂve been checking out the Harvest forum & learning about canning. But they also talk about the gardening side  most of them can what they grow, so IÂd like to have some WS veggies ready to go in there. And if some of you havenÂt seen a red bed, you should skip on over to the Cottage forum & check out what Gottagarden has created! I can just imagine what all that red would look like against my old grey barns. Just search for Âred bedÂ.

IÂm taking 2 weeks off at Christmas and hope to get lots of renovation stuff done, but hubby will be at work some of those days, so I may just work on some WSing stuff here & there. And by that, I mean to try to clean up last yearÂs containers so I can start on this yearÂs  lol. For some reason, cleaning them up is not nearly as fun as setting them out.

So, mostly IÂve just been planning & dreaming, no actual sowing. I sorted through what I have that didnÂt get planted last year & have made a new Âmaster wishlistÂ. I responded to some SASE offers  not having gardening time also meant that I didnÂt have time to save as many seeds as other years. I think this year I may put in an order to William Dam for seeds  their prices seem to be the best when I compare them to the other catalogues IÂve been getting. If any of you have started yet, let me live vicariously through you. Please post what youÂve been WSing or what else youÂve been doing to get ready. Something about this time of year, with all the snow, that gets me all obsessed again with next yearÂs garden.

All the best,

Gail

Comments (9)

Sponsored