SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aveo5

My X-Mas Papilios, And A Surprise.....

aveo5
12 years ago

Well Papilios have turned out to be my 'Meth' addiction for this year. I have gone through Orchids, Stapelias, and now it is bulbs, 95% papilios. I JUST got 2 more. Yes, now I have 7 new ones,all together. And with these, I got a nice surprise, a 'Lemon Sorbet' bulb, throwing out a bloom spike, as a Christmas gift.

Well one Papilio has a HUGE side bulb on it, under a white scale and a brown paper scale, and it also has 3 other tiny bulblets,that are coming out from the basal ridge,totally exposed. So this one is sprouting out bulblets 2 different ways, from the same seller...from the same shipment from Holland...so the seller told me.

The other 2nd Papilio feels like it is developing a bulb under a few scales. I feel a bump under a few scales. I measured them, and they are 24cm each. So the 'bulblets' do come out from all over the place. These are nice and hard and 'forced' as all the others...I have to plant them and wait...and wait for bloom scapes. But I all these bulbs my Christmas gift to myself. Someone has to get me something.

And the person that is selling these great Papilios on eBay is "flower_girlinflorida" (if it is ok to tell that in here). She sells other bulbs as well. I saw a post about her and her great Papilios about a month ago on here, and thats what started my buying from her!

Yes she is the one that sent me that crummy one. With all the bulblets ripped off, the pictures that Donna posted for me. BUT she sent me a free replacement within 3 days, and refunded me my money as well! THAT is a seller that cares!

All the others I have bought from her are now all hard, big, and most have some type of bulblet..now one of these 2 new ones that I just got, has a HUGE bulb one under a scale, it is nearly half teh size of the mother bulb! And she sent me the 'Lemon Sorbet' as a gift, I guess since I bought so many, and it has been a month or so of buying and talking.

I was going to buy a 'Lemon Sorbet' last night on EBay, and it would have cost me over $18! So..I have one Papilio in 'bud', and the rest are waking up. This 'Lemon Sorbet' came with a pretty label, and it is a 'Hadeco' bulb? The real thing? I keep seeing that name on certain smaller bulbs.

Well anyway, I HAVE to take a few pictures of that big Papilio with the different side bulbs and bulblets on it, to let you all see it. All the bulbs I got from her are waking up from the dormancy, no flower buds yet, except on the replacement one, but leaves are starting to show on most of the others. Then these arrived tonight, and they are so fat, and with all those extra bulbs on that one, it is going to be one of those 'mother' type bulbs. I cant complain, and if you go to Ebay...you will be pleasantly surprised at the low price per bulb and low shipping. Yes i am shilling for her, not at her request!

She doesnt know I am doing this, I am just letting you all know. You might be looking for some good bulbs, some great Papilios at a GREAT price! I am doing this of my own accord.

Anyway, just wanted to let you all know, that I am up to my eyes in Papilio bulbs, only 1 flower scape so far, but between my original ones, and all these new ones from all corners of the USA, I think i will have some nice bloomers soon! I hope:)

Anyway. My 'Red Lions' are about 5 days from opening their buds, the buds are just coming out of their scapes, 2 per bulb. I just brought them into the house today, and staked up their scapes. I will take pics of the new Papilio bulbs and the 'Lemon Sorbet', I will email them to you, Donna:).

I am SO happy I didnt buy that 'Lemon Sorbet' last night!

It is tiny, but you and others tell me that these are big time bloomers. Like my 'Evergreen' is suppose to be. It is putting out a nice 'clump' of leaves, but no sign of flower scapes yet. And that bulb is gigantic! Hard to belive it is somehow related to 'Lemon Sorbet'.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm
More Discussions