SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brandymulvaine

Today I sowed...

brandymulvaine
14 years ago

I'm going to try to keep better track of what I've sowed!

I thought the "journal" part of our page was for keeping an actual journal-not a list of plants. So here it goes!

In one gallon milk jugs:

1) Northern Catalpa

2) Rowan

3) little tree from work

4) Quince

5) Hinoki Cypress

6) Spruce mix

7) Beautyberry Bush

8) Basswood

9) Pin Cherry

10)Black Locust

11)little tree from Brendans school

12)Yellowwood

12! 12 little containers! Mwaa-haa-haa!! mwaa-haa-haa!!

-B

Comments (56)

• daisydawnny
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks Brandy!

I feel your pain, last year I worked weekends so most of my sowing was done on Mondays. Fingers crossed I do not have to go back to weekends anytime soon. Happy dumpster diving! :P

I think I have about 80 jugs so far...have lot's of people saving them for me. I'm going to need a lot more than that with all the wonderful seeds I have received.

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

So many have started sowing already,will we be doing a count again this year.
    I am sowing today,have 5 done so far,yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    cAROL

• Related Discussions

today I sowed II ...

Q

Comments (8)
    I've got a few more perennials and am waiting for the last shipment and excited about some coming from trades. My larger containers are running low as all I have left are some pepsi bottles I'll try to prep later and one candy container. I think I have plenty of cups to sow all my annuals HOS or very sparingly depending, and cell packs for individual seeds but will be out of Jiffy flat covers so will use gallon ziplock bags and a few 9 oz cups I have left covered with baggies set in my daisy trays, started with 20 of those. I'm glad I stocked up, saved during the year and saved from last year. Today it was Blue Violas, Bottle Gentian, Jack-in-the-Pulpit, a few Virginia Bluebells, 9 cups of Purple Milkweed and 9 cups of Butterfly Weed. The last two I meant to cover with some seed starter and spritz with a spray bottle but forgot, didn't want to take all the lids off again to do it. Do you think those will be OK, seeds are just sitting on top of the soil as scattered? I set my flats on the snow, a couple are a little crooked but not bad. Does anybody know if that will hurt anything until the snow under them melts when they'll be level? I tried to clear away some of the snow but didn't do too good of a job of it, am going to have to start setting out on the other side of the house.
    ...See More

Today I sowed

Q

Comments (15)
    This is my first year wsing so I was scared to loose my seeds but I am doing it all. I kept a couple seeds of each just in case. But I figure if all of you can do it I can too. So here is my list 2/2/2009 Gloriosa Daisy Shasta Daisy Gaillardia Fanfare Rudbeckia ÂCherokee Sunset Aster  Crego Mix Echinacea  White Swan Chinacea  Sunrise Columbine ÂMcKanna Giant Carnations 2/2/2009 5-Blackberry lily 5 Balloon flower 5 Dalhia Uniwin 5 Bat flower - Tacca nivea (white) 5 Clematis ÂSweet Autumn (Can this be winter sowed??? I did but wasnt sure) 2/7/2009 Clasping Coneflower Zinnia  Green Envy Giganteum Poppy ÂPapaver Somniferum Amaranthus Caudatus 2/8/2009 Mary Washington Asparagus Asparagus c. NEED CONTAINERS FOR: Lobelia Kaiser Wilheim - Mix Petunias - Sunshine Petunias - Wave Pink/White/Purple Mix Impatients Nicotianas Pansies Aquilegia  Star Red Amaranthus  Candelabra Gerbera Daisy  (3) Pink, Mix, Orange Geranium  Mix Acroclinium  roseum goliath Lavendar  Augustifolia Lavendar  French  Purple Ribon Lavendar  Verea Celosia  Red Velvet Bachelors Button  Mix Cleome  Spider  Four Queens Mix Hollyhock  Black Hollyhock  Bright Pink Hollyhock  Hibiscus trionum "Luyona" Echinacea  Purple coneflower Calendula  Mixed orange/yellow Balloon Flower Agastache Blue Fortune Agastache Blue Licorice Agastache Golden Jubilee Begonia Hybrid  Show Angels Chinese Paper Lantern Malva Zebrina Maltese Cross ÂRed Moonflower vine  white Dahlia  Bishop  Mixed colors Dahlia  Uniwin Milium  Purple Majesty Malva  Windsor Castle Morning Glory  Star of yelta Impatience  Balsamina Don't think I will get it all done this year so I am organizing it by want most - to least on what is left. Tammy
    ...See More

New Here

Q

Comments (7)
    Nan-6161 - umm, yes, that is what I mean, lol. Oops. I measured the depth at 3 inches, and I *thought* the headroom was ok, as it seems from what I have read that people plant stuff out pretty early - am I wrong in that? I was comparing them to the clamshells I have from salads and stuff, (which I will be using today, in my never-ending denial of this snow) and it looked OK in comparison. Would I be able to re-pot stuff if it starts bumping it's head on the top? I have also been saving yogurt containers and baggies from the produce dept. Thanks for the heads up - I seem to learn best from doing things wrong the first time, lol. T.
    ...See More

Today I sowed...

Q

Comments (150)
    Today I sowed... Hosta (sum & substance) Money Plant Staghorn Sumac Hibiscus (hardy) Clematis (Polish Pride) Chinese Lantern Datura Lilac Laflear Rose Campion Armerid Bees Malva Pink Lambs ear Coreopsis White Trumpit Vine # types of pitcher Plant Mexican fan Palm- both we and inside thought I would experiment Dogwood red osier White Birch Buchthorn glossy Elderberry Evergreen E. Burning Bush Lilacs Canna Red Canna Marabout Tennessee Coneflower Purple Coneflower Coneflower Ruby Star False Solomons Seal That it for today... Bonnie
    ...See More
  • conniemcghee
    14 years ago

I sowed yesterday and today, just a few things. Errands and visitors keep sidetracking me. ;)

Yesterday I sowed:

Eryngium, Blue Star and Miss Wilmott's Ghost
    Blue Eyed Grass
    Green Jewel Echinacea (from my own garden, an experiment)
    Something else...

Today:
    Echinacea Tiki Torch
    White Beautyberry
    One other thing.

I sure hope I am doing this right. I feel very unsure of myself!

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Today I sowed:
    3.Milk weed***3 containers
    4..Galardia
    5..Penstemon
    6..Apple Seeds ( organic )
    7..Lily Seed,unknow type
    8..Gas Plant**4 seeds,wish me luck, i really want this one.
    9.K.M.O.T.G.G.
    10.Mexican Mint
    11..Littleleaf Peashrub
    12.Clematis-Savannah
    13..Honey Ball Bush
    14..Soapwort
    Tomorrow I will do more.I am so surprised at how tired i am.
    And it took me most of the day,last year I was soooooooo fast,ho,hum, age..:0(
    cAROL

• floodthelast
    14 years ago

Yesterday I did 12 containers
    2 of fever few
    my collected hosta's
    oranges and lemons gaillardia
    burgundy gaillardia
    ligularia rocket
    ligularia othello
    Rudbeckia hirta
    and I'll have to check my list after that.

So far today 6 containers
    2 feverfew
    potentilla melton fire
    gold gaillardia
    blue rose of sharon
    siberian iris ceasar's brother.

• brandymulvaine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jan 7 I sowed 12 daylily containers! Some from my garden, some from my moms garden, a few from some businesses, and some from a little old ladies' yard. I always ask if it's ok to collect seeds-I know I'd be miffed if someone came into my yard and started taking seeds!
    1)pardon me x ? from my yard
    2)oranges from moms
    3)reds from the bank
    4)yellow from??
    5)oranges from moms
    6)stella x ? my yard
    7)talls from ladies yard
    8)reds from apts
    9)stella x reds from corner
    10)reds by apts
    11)shorts from ladies yard
    12)reds from corner

a couple of the places also didn't care if I hand-pollinated the flowers and came back later for seeds.
    All together I think I collected about a pound of daylilly seeds!!LOL!!
    -B

• Judy Brown
    14 years ago

So far 6 jugs:

Hardy cyclamen (2 different type but in 3 jugs)
    Soapwort
    Fuzzy Peach tomatos (these seeds came from Wintersow.org)
    Eyeball plant

Tomorrow, I'm going to try to do 5 more jugs.

Brandy - I'm impressed with the daylillies that you sowed. I've not had any experience with daylillies but would like to add to my garden at some time. Can you really get them to grow from seeds or is it tricky?

• floodthelast
    14 years ago

I did some daylilies from seed last year winter sow style. Germination was somewhat poor but at least half sprouted. Of that I planted out many and at the years end I'd say half of those were still going. I put the seeds on top of the soil in cups that were in a larger clear bin. It was exciting and although I'll have a long wait I will do more this season.

• gardenweed_z6a
    14 years ago

Just for grins and giggles, back in August I tossed some daylily seeds into a Ziploc baggie with seed starting mix, Perlite and a tablespoon of water, placed the baggie near a sunny window and two weeks later had 3" tall sprouts. I'd seen an article somewhere that they were easy to grow from seeds with this method. They grew to 9" in height after I transplanted them to 4-inch pots.
    jdbheartease - I harvested a TON of seeds from 'Happy Returns' daylily plants wherever I saw them--neighbors, work, along the drive to work. If you would like some to try WSing, shoot me an email and I'll be happy to send you seeds.

• brandymulvaine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gardenweed, I think I'll try that there baggie method with the extra seed!!
    I want to get them thick enough to choke out the weeds!
    -B

• gardenweed_z6a
    14 years ago

I would never have tried it because Diane's Flower Seeds website says daylilies are difficult to grow from seed. The word she used might have been "challenging" rather than "difficult" but it left me thinking they might not sprout under less-than-ideal conditions. Then when I read about the baggie method, I figured why not give it a try? The seeds were free from my neighbor's plants so I didn't have a lot to lose. I sowed 12 seeds; I got 12 seedlings. Seems like a pretty good germination rate from where I stand! They're such cuties, too--they look just like miniature daylilies.

• laurelin
    14 years ago

I just did my first 14 containers of the year.

Johnny Jump-ups (violas)
    Amaranth 'Hot Biscuits'
    Verbascum bombyciferum (mullein)
    Oriental poppy 'Brilliant'
    Marigolds (two different kinds)
    Alyssum 'Carpet of Snow'
    Four o-clocks (mixed)
    Foxgloves (mixed)
    Lavender ('Munstead,' from our old house last year)
    Rose of Sharon (from my bushes at the old house)
    Fern-leaf bleeding hearts (Dicentra eximia)

I winter sowed daylilies two years ago, and had fantastic germination. Many were my own crosses, some I bought from other daylily fanciers. I brought a bunch of those seedlings with me to the new house, and I have quite a bit of daylily seed that I saved (refrigerated) from the old house left. I'll be sowing those as soon as I get more containers. I didn't find them to be difficult at all.

Laurel

• clc70
    14 years ago

I'm so glad to see other people sowing seeds with a discription. ie "tree from work" and "red tall flower". I don't always know what I'm planting, but I know I like it! I finally got started today. Too many to list (52 gallon milk jugs). Whew. This is my 3rd year. Last year I planted over 300 milk jugs. I'm NOT going to go that crazy again. I've already planted more than I intended. I saved my milk jugs from last year. I work at a nursing home and they saved them for me (5-6 a day). It sure beat dumpster diving.

• token28001
    14 years ago

A small sample of the 50 containers I sowed today:

Dianthus Firewitch
    Cardoon
    Hardy Yellow Hibiscus
    Red Mexican Hat
    Great Blue Lobelia
    Lobelia cardinalis
    Ageratum
    Alstroemeria
    Verbena hastata
    Yellow foxglove
    White Buddleia
    Siberian Wallflower
    Creeping Thyme
    Monarda citriodora
    Echinacea purple
    Alyssum Maritimum
    R. hirta "Cherry Brandy" and "Autumn colors" both collected from last year's plants. May not come true. Who cares? They're still pretty.

• luckynes13
    14 years ago

Today, I planted 5 containers of mullberry seed.
    I did alot of transplanting of tiger lilies from the back of my house to a sunnier local. Hope to have a 30 ft. row of them next year. It's a present for my husband.
    Never knew you could save seeds.

• topie
    14 years ago

Today I did one more Giant Purple Hyssop and another Yellow Coneflower. I've done about 41 jugs and bottles of various wildflowers now...it's my first year winter sowing so hope I have not gone too crazy...it was kind of hard to stop myself because I'm so excited about winter sowing!

So far I've sowed:
    Marsh Blazing Star, Starry Campion, New England Aster, Wild Geranium, Tall Bellflower, Cardinal flower, Wild Sweet William, Eupatorium/Boneset, Perennial Phlox, Black-Eyed Susan, Brown Eyed Susan, Joepyeweed, Virginia Bluebells, Ohio Spiderwort, Purple Coneflower, Wood Lily, Harebell, Foxglove Beardtongue/Penstemon, Red Columbine, and New York Ironweed.

Plus some Rosemallow and Ninebark shrub seeds...
    and a Flowering dogwood tree seed or two...not sure if the dogwood seeds will work or not...

Kind of have to wind down now since I'm running out of recycled milk jugs and juice bottles! But I'm gearing up to do my annuals in the spring. Have to find some kind of containers for those...

• brandymulvaine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

On Jan 9th I sowed:
    Milkweed
    1)orange(from my yard)
    2)yellow(from my garden)
    3)drk orange(from the gas station near my work)
    4)pink(from my garden)

Echinacea
    5)white(from a B&B near my house)
    6)purple(ditto)
    7)pink(short ones from my garden)
    8)purple(shuttlecock form)

9)german catchfly
    10)sweet william
    11)foxglove
    12)rose campion
    -B

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

I read thru what everybody is sowing. Can't do everything in one year, but I want that Oranges and Lemons Gaillardia, was planning to order from BS. Do have some mentioned from prior years in the garden.

I'm having to guess on ones I've saved. Some I'm pressing in soil, some I cover w/soil, and some I cover w/vermiculite.

Today, Jan 10, I sowed:

Coreopsis (double) - saved
    Rudbeckia Cherry Brandy (my own double/triple - saved)
    Canoe Birch - saved
    Ultima Morpho Pansy (2 pkts in one jug)- lost some seeds!
    Columbine Blue Star
    Tuscany Burgundy/Eye Verbena
    Aquilegia Nora Barlow
    Tithonia

Everything in one gal jugs for now. Questions:

1. I deadhead my daylilies (neatness) and have some pretty yellow ones I'd like tons of. Do you let all the scapes go to seed or does that set the plant's energy back for following year? Those I'll have to be careful they don't cross w/my tangerine ones, not sure how.

2. Some of my containers I didn't mean to but think I only got 2 inches or a little more of soil. Is that going to matter?

3. Do you think my pansies have a chance (I'm sowing some differently later)? It said to cover w/newspaper but I covered w/soil instead.

4. I have some seeds that are 2 years and more old, not kept in freezer but at room temp. Is it worth wasting potting soil on those?

5. Guess I don't dare WS any of my lupines, right?

Have lots more to go and enough to fill several jugs with one kind. I'm holding off on my tomatoes and peppers. Will sow herbs inside.

I cannot find my iris seeds, purposely let one go to seed. I hate that. Those I wanted to WS or not bother with.

A couple people kindly helped me with my Ultima Morpho Pansies; I've still got those emails and will have to find them and try what they said to do.

• brandymulvaine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Finally was able to get some more jugs done!!
    1)balloon flower blue
    2)canadian columbine
    3)iris-pale yellow
    4)tulip-rosalie
    5)caterbury bells blue
    6)columbine-yellow
    7)scabiosa-tall yellow
    8)colulmbine-barlow/grandma cross
    9)sedum-black jack
    10)centaura montana
    11)pincushion-from kids creek
    12)pincushion-from Olivia's

Hopefully I get do the rudbeckias next week!!
    -B

• laurelin
    14 years ago

Hi Aliska -
    "I deadhead my daylilies (neatness) and have some pretty yellow ones I'd like tons of. Do you let all the scapes go to seed or does that set the plant's energy back for following year? Those I'll have to be careful they don't cross w/my tangerine ones, not sure how."

Daylilies are self-fertile, but also freely cross with any other daylily nearby (they're insect-pollinated). If you want identical plants to your favorite, you'd have to transplant divisions of the original plant. If you want to self-cross them (which will result in mostly similar but not necessarily identical flowers on the new plants), early on a morning, take pollen from one flower and dab it on the pistil of the same flower. The tip of the pistil should be sticky, and you should really cover it with pollen, just pile it on. If the pollen "takes," you'll see the ovary at the base of the flower thicken and swell. If the pollen doesn't "take," the ovary will shrivel and snap off easily - you'll be able to tell in a couple days. (The petals may not fall off on their own if it's a heavy-textured flower - you can just break off the petals once they've dried a bit, or you can snip or tear them off above the ovary.) If you want to cross different plants, it's the same technique: dab pollen in the AM (fertilization success is better while the temps are below 80-ish), and then put a little label on the ovary so you remember what you crossed. If you're really concerned about keeping the pollen "pure" you can gently fold a little square of foil over the tip of the pistil after you dab the pollen, so no bee spoils your hard work, lol. (Of course seeds of unknown parentage are just as lovely.)

Letting the plant set a handful of pods won't set it back at all. The pods take 45-60 days to ripen; you'll know they're ripe when they begin to split (the pods don't have to be completely brown, but the seeds should be BLACK). Each pod can yield 6-16 seeds. The seeds should be dried on a windowsill for a week or so, then refrigerated in a plastic baggie until you're ready to sow them over the winter. (I keep mine in the onion drawer of the fridge.)

If you know the name of your plant, you can find out if it's diploid or tetraploid (two sets of chromosomes, or 4 - daylilies can be either). Dips usually won't cross with Tets. Dips usually have narrower foliage and thinner scapes, while tets are often sturdier plants with thicker scapes. Check out Tinker's Daylily Database (www.tinkersgardens.com) to look up ploidy. Not all daylilies are equally fertile. Some will set as many pods as they have flowers; some won't set any at all no matter how much you dab pollen on them.

If your tangerine daylilies are the wild "ditch" lilies, they'll be sterile (or only rarely fertile), and won't be likely to cross with your yellow ones.

Winter sown daylilies develop robust root systems - I plant 4 to a milk jug, so they don't get too tangled up in each other.

I hope this helps you, Aliska!

• brandymulvaine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Monday the 1st of Feb I did 9 jugs of Rudbeckia:
    1)lrg flower
    2)lrg flower
    3)lrg drk flower
    4)yellow tall
    5)indian sunset
    6)gloriosa daisy
    7)lrg dark flower
    8)short dark flower
    9)marmalade
    -B

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    14 years ago

From 1/29 to yesterday I have sowed:
    Daylilly Stella D'oro
    Rudbeckia Cherokee Sunset
    Dianthus Siberian Blue
    Burgundy Gaillardia
    Milkweed
    Joe Pye Weed
    Honey White Agastache
    Cranberry Yarrow
    Rudbeckia Cherry
    Lweis Blue Flax
    Rudbeckia yellow/orange

My first time sowing perennials, so excited.
    All of the above except a couple thanks to Becky!
    Except for Yarrow which I picked from a plant growing wild.
    And Burgundy Gaillardia which finally arrived from seed company.
    Becky, your seeds are going far and wide.

ellen

• brandymulvaine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow there's such variety! Isn't funny how you can always find something else that you want? Oranges and lemons gaillardia, more nine bark would be nice(hope I get seeds this year from mine!) I've always wanted to try ironweed, and mulberries...I remember eating them as a kid! Mmmmm!
    Today I sowed..
    1) beautyberry bush
    2) elderberry bush(never came up last year-grrrr)
    3) goji berries-got these from the health food store
    4) rue
    5) heather
    6) witch hazel
    -B

• gardenweed_z6a
    14 years ago

I can't believe the very long list of new perennials I've WSd so far. Over 200 containers; more than 50 new perennial varieties. The most recent additions include:

Dwarf hollyhock
    Lupine 'Tutti Frutti'
    Delphinium 'Fantasia'
    Mallow 'Vulcan'
    Blue sage
    Columbine (blue/white)
    Cupid's dart
    Foxglove 'Apricot Beauty'
    Cushion spurge
    Blackberry lily

So many seeds...so little time...an endless supply of milk jugs. My enabler neighbor who dumpster dives for me called this morning to say he's back from vacation and to ask if I want/need more milk jugs. Let me know if anyone on this forum could have found the willpower to say NO to him!
    Go ahead--ask me if I'm still buying seed packs? Oh yeah! Anytime I see something that (1) I haven't already winter sowed or (2) isn't already growing here.
    Wal-Mart finally put their seed racks out last week. I met a woman buying seeds and told her about winter sowing since she looked interested when I mentioned what I was doing. She said she was going home and check out this forum and Trudi's website. The cashier at the job lots store (I was buying more duct tape) asked how my containers are doing, if anything's sprouted yet. Wait 'til I tell her about the green wave.

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

laurelin, I'm sorry I didn't see your reply until I happened to look at this thread just now. I have trouble remembering all the threads I post on, mostly here but occasionally other forums.

That was excellent information, and I saved it. Thank you so much! So I don't have to worry about ditchlilies crossing, but they must scatter seed else why do I see so many lily seedlings around when I deadhead mine? Maybe I forgot to deadhead one. Franz Hall. It bloomed last year, it's first year but not this. I wonder why not? I yanked those seedlings all out (maybe I said this up further).

I'm excited about a new one I've ordered "Going Bananas" will put it with my other two yellow ones. It's supposed to bloom most of the summer. Got "Purple D'Oro" last fall, planted it and got to see a couple blooms, don't like it but will give it a chance.

Thank you again, read a little of this piecemeal on the daylily forum, but you summed it all up very neatly.

Usually don't post what I sow when I sow, but today I sowed 18 cups of Blue Jay Delphinium and 18 cups of Blue Bird Delphinium. I had trouble getting the tweezers to hold the seeds and rather slopped through some of it.

I had way more seeds for 18 cups so just went round and round until the seeds were all gone. But most got in a small depression I made, and if I have multiple seedlings, should I thin them out by pulling? I don't want to risk disturbing them all by transplanting.

My son just brought me a pecan roll his young wife made from scratch, smells yummy. He said to plant him tons of flowers, so I showed him the newest seeds I'm waiting for and told him about planting the delphiniums today, showed him the tiny photos. He wants them all lol. So WS'ing them better work, spring sowed the ones I have going. He asked if they "come back every year". I said they were a short-lived perennial. Sounded disappointed.

He spotted some Foxglove Candy Mountain a couple years ago and wanted that (they take 2 years! as will the delphs), so I found a couple spares, dug them up, put in a couple pots neatly, let sit a few days, gave them to him. I wonder if he appreciates it. He can buy anything he wants. The only thing he has I'm a little envious of is his large, immaculately-kept lot and his beautiful dressed rock retaining wall. It faces south (I'll ruin the thread with another of my photos, did post it on another forum here, can't remember which), there is nothing but grass. How I'd love to be able to have an area like that to plant. He's got other areas planted very nicely with some professional designer help, but does have watering and irrigation problems and soil probably needs amending and composted because it's new and probably mostly clay from disturbance during building a few years back. I'm happy if he will be able to use my plants, just don't want them wasted after all my hard work.

{{gwi:238703}}

To the right of the double doors:

{{gwi:238704}}

• auntyara
    14 years ago

Oh wow!
    I just had to tell you Aliska,
    when I saw the pics of your son's rocks my mind started racing. lol I would LOve to have a new garden to work on with such good back bones in place. I'm drooling!!!
    I'm sure I'm not the only on who would love to dive into that empty arch. starting with a bird bath.
    :) Laura

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    14 years ago

I had the exact same thought.
    What a great place to sow flowers!

Lawn is so boring to me now.

• brandymulvaine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A thousand possibilities go through my head!!
    Yeah I hate lawns now too, I always feel like something is missing when I see the manicured lawn and a few evenly spaced bushes-it all looks so sterile...

Aliska
    When you thin the delphs don't pull, just cut them off.

Your son's retaining wall would look great with some soapwort cascading from the gaps! Soapwort comes back every year and blooms in the spring-pink flowers(it'll go nice with the spirea bushes)He's such a lucky dog, wish I had a wall!
    -B

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

auntyara, ellen and brandy,

I know. It's a dream for us wintersowers and gardeners. I loved the feeling of openness there when I took those first photos I posted, so I would prefer undulating borders around and leaving a little lawn. He wanted an iron gazebo, but I think that would ruin the feeling and detract from the beautiful stonework, so I hope he doesn't go through with that desire or puts one somewhere else. I saw some really nice iron gazebos on the antique roses forum BTW, think they were priced under $1000 and looked sturdy, can try to find that post if anybody is interested, always wanted one myself.

Thanks for the suggestion of soapwort; he was asking what he could put in the chinks in the stones, and I never saw anything I thought would work very well. I thought he was being wildly extravagant (and crazy) when he had those stones trucked down from a quarry or dealer in Dubuque, but they might not have been that much overall, and it turned out to have been well worth it. I'd like to do something similar on one terrace to give more planting room, but stones that large wouldn't work for me. Maybe they have some smaller ones of the same style cut more uniformly as I love the mellow look of them. This discussion helped me think of that rather than match the ones behind the garage which are very nice but more gray, have weathered, of course.

Thanks about the delphs, went to sleep wondering about them. Will do that, but it will hurt. After starting my first delphs last year, I don't think you want them crowded although a couple closer together than the recommended 12" might not be too bad here and there.

I will suggest a nice bird bath.

Here's when it was in the building stage in June 2005, first it was more of a circle and he lost his first evergreens, but he redid it. I like it much better now. I dub it his stonehenge. I'll pass on some of the other suggestions.

{{gwi:455408}}

Here is what I think is soapwort I found growing on city property in July 2006, was charmed by it and meant to go back and try to collect seeds but wasn't sure how or when.

{{gwi:455410}}

• brandymulvaine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The soapwort I was thinking of is "saponaria ocymoides" rock soapwort, I'm not even sure if it's related to the real soapwort(in your picture).
    I agree on the gazebo. It would look very busy maybe just an arbor? Then again maybe not.
    Creeping thyme would also work in the stones and depending on what zone there's a rosemary that creeps also.

Man, that's a lot of rock! Stonehenge indeed!!
    -B

• ten_steps_ahead
    14 years ago

Busy afternoon for me. I sowed:
    American Beauty Berry bush
    Canna
    Rutgers Tomato
    Money Plant
    Coral Honeysuckle
    Yellow Yarrow
    Delphinium Yankee mix
    Galilardia Burgundy
    Hollyhock Charters double mix
    Blackberry Lily
    Columbine McKana's Giant mix
    Alyssum Golden Tuft

Coral Honeysuckle is new for me. I have a large vine of it and decided to take the dried berries and give it a try.
    Also delphs give me a hard time but I "try, try, again". Anybody have any tricks for getting delphs to germinate?

• auntyara
    14 years ago

Aliska,
    you should start your own thread...something like what would you do to this space?, I bet your son and his young wife would love all the Ideas!
    Just a thought.
    still drooling,
    :)Laura

• auntyara
    14 years ago

I would love to see everyone's Ideas too!!!
    lol.
    still drooling,
    :)Laura

• kim2grow
    14 years ago

This is my Soapwort wintersowed. pink flowers in the front

• brandymulvaine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

finally got some more done! used all the jugs that weren't smashed or stinky(had to go to recycling center to "acquire" these!
    1) Aster blue short
    2) aster purple short
    3) aster purple tall(from munson ave)
    4) aster purple tall (from a garden near my oldest sons girlfriends house, I just call it Olivia's aster, hope she doesn't mind!!LOL!!)
    5) aster blue italian(started there from seed several years ago the only ones that came up were the blue ones)
    6) fennel-zefo-from a trade
    7) fennel-bronze from my garden-first time it seeded
    8) horehound-from a trade
    9) red hot pokers-from a trade
    10) monkshood-trade
    11) maltese cross-trade
    12) stock-from my garden
    13) verbascum-trade
    14) inula sonnenspeer-08 trade-hope they're still good
    15) inula goliath-08 trade-hope they're still good

Now I have to decide if I want to clean out jugs or deal with lumpy ones
    Hmmm-lumpy jugs, that's kinda funny!
    -B

• laurelin
    14 years ago

Today I sowed more daylilies, four different zinnias, more marigolds, and 'Russian Yellow' hollyhocks from a trade a few years ago. I'm still cruising off of seeds from a big exchange in Jan. 2008. I'd love to participate in another exchange, once I have seeds of my own to share again this fall.

Laurel

• drippy
    14 years ago

I planted my ritual solstice containers back in December, but hadn't done anything since then. I think fear of not having a place to put them in the spring has been holding me back, but I finally decided to go ahead anyway - I have so many zillion seeds, and I don't want them all to go to waste. I figure if we can't pull off getting a house in time to get them in the ground, I can give them away to DH's coworkers.

So in the last two days I have planted 72 containers - mostly herbs & perennials that need some cold strat (praying there is still enough cold strat time to make this happen here - nights are still cold but daytime temps are due to start rising later this week). I've also been planting a lot of my 2008 gathered seeds - in that growing season, anticipating my move, I gathered as many types of seeds from my garden as I could. Now I am hoping to reproduce some of it.

More to come!

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

Just an update to those who suggested I start a thread about my son's rock wall. He sells, among other things, certain investments, only those he's licensed to sell, and says all his clients are coming to him scared.

So now he wants to buy a different kind of property and has started looking for one with more land, within commuting distance from his business which wouldn't be good to change the location.

So I can't see starting a thread on that.

But it would make me sad after all that work for him to lose that wall. I sure hope he doesn't act impulsively. As to living out, would love to have a couple acres at least but hate to lose the nice location I'm in despite problems. It would not be an option to buy his house, too big for me and too risky financially.

• enestvmel
    14 years ago

I am currently living in MN for about 3-4 more weeks, and then we're moving to NM up in the mountains at 9000 ft. I really wanted to winter sow this year, but didn't want to do it before we moved. Is it going to be too late towards the end of March to still do this? I don't think their regular planting season is until late May or early June. So it's a pretty short season. Am I going to be better off just planting seedlings this year? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Sorry if this isn't exactly the right place to put this post, but I thought you all would have a good idea.

• ladygladys
    14 years ago

Corncockle
    Bachelor Buttons
    Morning Glory
    Marigolds
    Baby's Breath
    Convolvulus
    Moss Rose
    Scabiosa

• brandymulvaine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

enestvmel, I think NM in late march might be too warm, I don't know if the altitude would make it cooler or not. You could always try it and see what comes up, there are some plants that don't need much of a cold period. Maybe ask around and see what plants grow well at that altitude in NM. I picture it being hot and dry(I could be wrong, never been to NM!) that's quite a change from MN :-)
    -B

• hortelano
    14 years ago

Hi ten_steps_ahead 6 NJ,
    Where did you get your Ramapo tomato seeds? I have been buying plants at Rudgers because I can't get seeds. Did you WS your Ramapos? What seeds have worked well for you so far besides your present posting? I'm just starting doing the WS bit.

Thank you

Patrick

• sapphires3
    14 years ago

Today was one of those days when I could not get out of my own way. Frustrating. So, I came home and sowed:

Cauliflower
    Echinacea
    Bachelor Buttons

It made me feel better. I am going to sow more tonight, when the counter is done with dinner duty.

• gardenluv
    14 years ago

enestvmel- I don't think it will be too late at all! Instead of starting with only perennials, you can start with some annuals as well. You will just need to keep an eye on them so they don't dry out. Good luck with your move!

• bhnash
    14 years ago

2/16
    Cosmos 'Rose Bon Bon'
    Zinnia 'Giant Lime'
    Zinnia 'Green Envy'
    Zinnia 'Violet Queen'
    Zinnia 'Purple Prince'

Yay! I'm starting my annuals :)

• brandymulvaine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ha Ha!! Was able to sneak in 14 jugs when no one was looking for me!
    1)columbine-lime sorbet-trade
    2)clematis sweet autumn-trade
    3)gaillardia-my moms
    4)geum mix-garden
    5)little blue stem-trade
    6)blue fescue-commercial
    7)grass w/flat seed heads-side of the road
    8)candy lily-trade
    9)penstemon rocky mountain-botanical interest
    10)penstemon pinifolius-thanks highalttransplant!
    11)pyrethrum robinsons red-garden
    12)dianthus knappii-thanks highalttransplant!
    13)agastache apache sunset-ditto!!
    13)lambs ear-trade
    -B

• sapphires3
    14 years ago

More! I seem to be doing a lot of edibles - yum!

Cilantro
    Lavender Munstead
    Kohlrabi
    Dill
    Spinach
    Rudbeckia Hirta

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

Today was my most productive day so far, and I gambled all my expensive delphinium seeds and others by not holding any back for spring sowing. I may regret that, and I doubt T&M will replace them if they fail because I WS'ed them and didn't follow their instructions.

One or many containers, clear cups, cell packs, 4" pots, 1/2 gal jug.

I think the clear cups with the lids in daisy trays go the fastest if the seeds can be handled individually or a few in each cup. Otherwise gallon jugs or large containers sprinkling seeds go even faster per unit. The cups with lids I fill to a certain line, tamp down and have 3", the lids are a little awkward but faster than baggies (once I have them prepped).

Strawberry Sundae Pansy
    Delphinium Bicolor (lavender and blue)
    Delphinium Purple Pagan
    Geum Triloba (Prairie Smoke, my seeds came from Prairie
    Moon yay!
    Aconitum (Monkshod) lots
    Celandine Poppy (scattered some in the 1/2 gal jug)

• brandymulvaine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

March 1st and I just finished my perennials!
    1)coreopsis(from Olivias)
    2)lupine-wild-thanks aliska!
    3)lupine-wild-ditto
    4)lupine-wild-ditto
    5)agastache-apache sunset-thanks highalttransplant
    6)milkweed-gay butterflies-ditto
    7)echinacea paradoxa-botanical interest
    8)pansy-got the blues and carmel spice-ditto
    9)coreopsis-from garden
    10)crosemia-I think...
    11)penstemon pinifolius-thanks highalttransplant
    12)lynchnis-flo jovis "peggy"-from tiffy I think
    13)malva-mix-garden
    14)masterwort-the lt pink one-garden
    15)rudbeckia-cutleaf-botanical interest
    16)goldenrod-botanical interest
    17)mum-orange-from garden-maybe seeds maybe chaff..
    18)dianthus-knappii-thanks highalttransplant
    19)lavender-mix-trade
    20)hyssop-trade
    21)pansy-mix-garden
    22)agastache-anise hyssop-value seed

Now I need to save up containers for the annuals!!
    -B

• brandymulvaine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

march 17th and have started the annuals
    1)Holly(not an annual but just got it)-trade
    2)batch buttons-blue-trade
    3)california poppies mixed-value seed
    4)nigella-miss Jekyll-trade
    5)amarathus-orange-trade
    6)money plant-trade
    7)poppy mix-garden
    8)poppy-drk purple-garden
    9)nigella-mix-value seeds/garden
    10)prairie aster-botanical interest
    11)pampas grass-home repo
    12)poppy watermelon color-garden
    13)cosmos and african daisy-garden/trade
    14)cosmos and calendula-garden/trade
    15)wild lupine-trade
    16)cosmos and calendula-garden/trade
    17)lemon balm-trade
    18)cosmos and calendula-trade/garden

Has anyone put two in a container like that?? I was running short and thought those two would look great together-hope it works out!!
    -B

Sponsored