SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lopaka_mikale

OT: Tillandsia (Ionantha?)... Lenette

lopaka_mikale
15 years ago

Lenette... You asked about Tillandsias, back in September and I told you I would take a pick when mine bloomed. The time is now. I purchased this at a green market, years ago, when I didn't even bother looking at plant tags, so I am not sure of the variety. A quick google search leeds me to think it might be Ionantha, but I can't be sure. The grouping is getting to soccer ball size. The best care advise I can offer, is to forget that you have it, until one day, you run across it and discover that it is blooming. Works well for me!

Bob

{{gwi:460144}}

{{gwi:460145}}

{{gwi:460146}}

Comments (10)

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

But what a interresting beautiful plant. Wonderful pictures you took there.

Lucy

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

Wow Bob that is so cool. I saw one of those on a garden show once I think the lady said she had them hanging on fishing line. They looked so cool. Are they naturally a ball shape or do you put several together to make the globe form? I wish they had some of those around here. If you ever see any for sale let me know what the site is please.

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

Bob I hope you are home or tell Laura. Then I do not know if it gets as cold where you live as it will be tonight in Orlando. But Andrea just told me it will be the coldest night yet for this winter. PROTECT your beauties!!!

And dress warm :-)))

Lucy

• chena
    15 years ago

That is Beautiful!!! I want one too! LOL

• lopaka_mikale
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kristy... When I purchased it, there were a few plants attached to a piece of bark. Over the years, the plants have grown a bit, and multiplied. They have made their way around the sides of the bark, and mounded in the center, to give it the round shape. I am sure that they will, eventually, totally engulf the bark, forming a ball. Even with my color blindness, I can see the red color of the plants... they are beautiful.

Lucy... yes... its going to be a cold one tonight. I checked the forecast, about two hours ago, and it was for 35 tomorrow morning. I've been hauling everything into the garage. Just checked on-line again, and now the low is predicted to be 31! The bad thing is, that with the last two cold-fronts, it turned out to be 3 degrees colder than predicted. Every potted plant is coming in. I just finished out front, and am now headed to the backyard. All of those plants are coming into the Florida-room. Laura's going to have a cow, when she gets home from work. Its going to look like hurricane time around here, less the plywood on the windows.
    I guess some of the in-ground plants may get damaged, but I'm not too concerned. I've lived thru 3 recent hurricanes, and the damage they do. The only thing I am concerned about are the Plumerias. Not sure what I can do about them, at this point. They are good sized, and would be difficult to cover. I will just hope the freeze doesn't last to long.
    Oh... you don't need to tell this wimp to dress warm! If I had the time and money, I'd hop a flight to Puerto Rico.

Bob

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

roflmao Bob. If you leave home when the coldfront hits you...Laura would love you even more if SHE had to move all the plants back out ha ha ha

Bob just make sure you water the plumerias! Guess it is to late now :-( Cross my fingers that it will NOT get as cold as predicted.

Oh one more thing Bob, I bettcha you wished you had a Pedro don't ya lol

Look at it this way...muscle training and it does not cost you a penny ´:-)))

Lucy

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    15 years ago

I love that. Let me know the name when you find out for sure. I looked and came up with the same name as you did. Does it only get really red when it flowers? I agree about the forgetting about them part.
    I killed a tilly by watering it too much even though it was hardly ever LOL! I have a couple small ones from a local nursert and some wild ones that blew down from trees in our yard; and other than an occasional misting, I have to basically ignore them.

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

Thanks Bob, I wonder how old those were on that show. That whole yard was full of cool zone 9 plants and had brugs too, lol. I thought it was a round ball type but I guess they are formed like that by how you arrange them. Cool anyway. Would be fun to experiment with some. I got a neat piece of wood from Kylie I want to mount some on if I can find them here.

• lopaka_mikale
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lucy... For sure, Laura would never let me live it down, if she had to move all the plants in... but she would do it. The Plumerias seem to have come through just fine. Just some claws turned black.

Lenette... it is definitely Ionantha. Yes... they only turn red like that when they are blooming. I double checked with Laura... who is not color-blind!

Kristy... if you ever get one, or more, just mount it and eventually it will multiply and form the ball shape naturally.

Bob

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

Thanks Bob, I'll be helping the economy in a few weeks then and get a few, lol. I hope I don't kill it. The only ones I have seen I got at walmart last year and they do ok outside but always die when I bring them in for the winter. Too dry with the heat on I suppose. Now that I have the greenhouse maybe they will do better.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH