SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
token28001

Farmers Almanac

token28001
14 years ago

Planting by the moon. Gramma used to tell my dad when it was time to plant his garden by looking at the phases of the moon. I just pull up this self-refreshing link from Farmers Almanac. Whether you agree or not, it's something that's been done for ages. Bad news: Dec 21 is a poor planting day. So I'll be sowing my first flowers tomorrow morning as I await the possible snow/sleet/rain mix we're forecast to get Saturday night.

December 2009

11th-13th. Good Days For Planting Root Crops, Fine For Sowing Grains, Hay, And Forage Crops. Plant Flowers.

14th-15th. Plant Carrots, Beets, Onions, Turnips, Irish Potatoes, And Other Root Crops In The South. Lettuce, Cabbage, Collards, And Other Leafy Vegetables Will Do Well. Start Seedbeds.

16th-18th. Do No Planting. 19th-20th. Plant Sweet Corn, Beans, Peppers, And Other Aboveground Crops, Where Climate Is Suitable.

21st-22nd. Good Days For Killing Weeds, Briars, And Other Plant Pests, Poor For Planting.

I used this advice last year to sow seeds all through the winter. It worked out pretty well, I think. Of course, it could just be wintersowing that works well, and it may not apply to us. Thoughts?

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor