SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dancinglemons

WS potatoes

16 years ago

Hello,

Since I am new here I wanted to share this info. Is this considered Winter Sowing? I plant my potatoes in November or December. This year due to arthritis I will plant in large 32 gallon trash cans.

Here is my plan:

I will put holes in the bottom and 3 inches up the side with a drill. I will put one layer of medium size pebbles in the bottom of the trash can and then 6 inches of fertilized potting mix (not potting soil). Next is 6 inches of leaves and then place 4 or 5 seed potatoes in a circle at least 6 inches in from the side of the trash can on top of the leaves. Then cover the seed potatoes with another 6 inches of leaves. I will put this trash can down into the earth about 8-10 inches. The top of the trash can will be covered with clear plastic with holes(4 mil thick) kept in place with bunje cords (the kind you strap on your pick-up bed to keep stuff inside). It is my plan to add more leaves or peat as the plants grow in the spring/summer until they reach the top of the trash can. Any suggestions?? Should I just leave the trash can sitting on top of the ground -OR- is putting it down into the ground better? Here is a link about winter sown potatoes.

DL

Here is a link that might be useful: WS potatoes info

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus