zubababy
16 years ago

this was labeled minerva.... is it?

{{gwi:443758}}
thanks

Comments (20)

• ryan820
    16 years ago

I'm gonna vote no-- thats a pretty yet strange looking minerva if it is.

• zubababy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ryan that's what i thought. :) i've been trying to look at other posts and sites to id it. it looks close to gilmar, but not sure about that either.
    does anyone have any ideas of what it is?
    i purchased this at HD for $5. it is my first purchase. this is my second bloom, i already enjoyed red lion.
    since reading this forum and seeing everyone's beautiful pics of there ami's. i have ordered more ... the addiction has started :)

• ryan820
    16 years ago

I just saw a post on this forum about clearance bulbs-- Maria posted a pic of Gilmar (I think that was the name)-- this flower looks a lot like it!

This is my Minerva...

{{gwi:443759}}

This is another post ID-ing Gilmar...

Look Here

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

We are more than happy to enable you, Zuba! Plants are a wonderful addiction to have, and Hippeastrums are top of the heap, as far as I'm concerned!

I began with two bulbs only a few months ago, and have over 30 and counting now! I still have more on order, and plan to add even more next year!

I wish you luck with your bulbs, and if you have any questions or need information, we're here to help! Plus, there is a ton of great information in past posts... you'll probably want to do some reading if you plan on pollinating or forcing these wonderful bulbs!

I'm also addicted to orchids, mini roses, daylilies... and more... gardening is where it's at for me!

• zubababy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks ryan for the links.

jodik thanks for the warm welcome. i've been reading this forum and others everyday for a few months now. looks like my red lion has some swelling pods right now. i'll have to read a little more about germinating :)
    daylilies are another plant that i really like also. i'm afraid to try any orchids this year. before this year i couldn't keep a plant alive.
    i have really gotten into the whole gardening thing, and this summer i started redoing my whole yard and it looked great. maybe i'll be confident to try an orchid next year... i like the foliage and the flowers on the orchid.
    i still worry about every little issue on the plants that i have purchased for inside. except the amaryllis, there is so much info on this forum and it's very active. any question i've had so far has already been answered. thanks again

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Oh, you're welcome! Happy to help! Gardening has been in my blood since I was a little kid, watching my Grandma tend to her gorgeous peony beds and old fashioned bleeding hearts! I've had houseplants longer than I can remember, and I've gardened everywhere I've ever lived, even if it was only a few pots on a balcony! You'll get to the point where you won't worry so much, and you'll spend more time enjoying your plants!

Have you seen the vast numbers of new Dayliliy varieties?! How am I going to choose? Some are rather expensive, too! I have a small collection in the garden, but nothing compared to some people! The last one I planted in the fall was Hall's Pink... very pretty...

Anyway... keep reading, keep trying... you'll gain confidence and pretty soon, you'll be growing orchids, too!

• mariava7
    16 years ago

Hello zubababy and welcome to the forum! Yes, your Minerva is a Gilmar. Does it have a short scape?

What's up with HD having all of this mislabled bulbs turning out to be Gilmars?

• zubababy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mariava7
    thanks for the confirmation. the scape is apx 12" and the second scape is the same height. i'm happy with the flower, now i'll just have to get a minerva on my next order.

• mariava7
    16 years ago

Zubababy...Gilmar IS beautiful. Another question please. Does the scape have some red markings on it or does it grow sidewards? I have a funny feeling that you got what I got...a mite infested Gilmar.

• mariava7
    16 years ago

and these mite infested Gilmars that they are releasing in the market is so BAD!!!

{{gwi:436711}}

{{gwi:441936}}

{{gwi:441938}}

• bigshoes213
    16 years ago

Your amaryllis looks great by the way no matter what it is called. I had one not to long ago that I thought was Pink Diamond and was actually Exposure. It seems to happen alot it looks like.

This forum is so much more helpful than the others. I was really glad I got into amaryllis bulbs first and saw how helpful everyone was here. Because more than likely I would not of liked this website as much. A lot of the other people in the other forums are quite the downers. You can ask a question and immediately they respond " What you will just end up killing so why try!" This forum is so positive even if you are making a huge mistake. They just tell you what you are doing wrong then how to fix it and give you all the support you need. Way to go hippy forum!!!!!!

• zubababy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mariava7
    there are no red markings on the scapes or leaves. both scapes grew straight up, although it is starting to bend over from the weight of the flowers. it is a small bulb, and i'm thinking that it may get taller in later years. isn't that how that works? the 12" was just and estimate, it may be a little taller.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Zuba, you may have to stake the stem to prevent it tipping over from the weight of the flowers... I have several staked to help with weight... and also to help keep the leaves lassoed together!

I agree, Bigshoes... this is great place to find not only good information, but people with the same passion for hippis, as well! I've learned a ton here, from everyone! I'll certainly stick around and keep learning and sharing!

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Ain't we just a buncha fun? I knew nothing about amaryllis when I bought my first ones about 3-4 years ago. I began lurking on the bulb forum and digesting everything everyone had to share. Then, they gave us our own Amaryllis/Hippi forum and I began to speak up and participate. Everything I have learned about these beautiful bulbs I have learned here or by the encouragement to experiment. This is truly a great forum!

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Me, too, Cindee! I've had Minerva for a long time, and managed to keep her alive despite some neglect and several moves... she's never let me down, blooming almost every year! But I never even considered breeding plants or collecting more bulbs until I found this forum... and because of all the shared information and the encouragement of everyone, here I am with a boatload of bulbs and my very first seed pods!

This year is experimental, and a bit of a learning experience... next year will mark the beginning of my breeding program. I'm just having so much fun watching these go from freshly potted bulbs, to flowering beauties, to pollinated ripening pods! Even the green leaves are nice to see, as they mean I'm doing something right and they're happily growing!

This spring will be the first time I bring any of my indoor plants outside for the summer, and I'm anticipating some mighty healthy growth! As long as the insects don't attack, I think it will be good for the bulbs to regain size and strength outdoors! Without the information I've learned here, I would never even have considered taking my bulbs outside!

I'm so very thankful for all the shared information, pictures, experiences and experiments that everyone posts! It has all helped me tremendously in becoming a better gardener!

Yes, Cindee... we are quite the bunch! :-)

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Jodi, hold the phone, I just saw an Orchid named Minerva!!! You gotta have it girl! I don't care what it looks like, you just gotta have it!

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Minerva Cattlyea Orchid Ohhhhhhhhhh Ahhhhhhhhh

Here is a link that might be useful: Minerva for Jodi

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Cindee! It's gorgeous! How did you ever find this?!! Oh my... oh my... I'm drooling! It's perfect! I must have it! First, I have to get Larry to look at it... then, I must convince him that I have to have it because it's called Minerva, plus it's so pretty! And... I think that Cattelyas will do well here... better than Phals, anyway...

Thank you for thinking of me, Cindee! It's so perfect!

Actually, I was just now looking for Oxblood Lilies, Rhodophiala bifida... but not having much success in finding anywhere that has them for sale in spring... apparently, it's a fall planted bulb, and even though I would grow it in a pot, it's hard to get in spring... I was looking for those, and also the Red Spider Lilies, which are really awesome looking! I'm so addicted, I'm beginning to branch out into other Amaryllids! Hehe!

But I'm definitely getting more orchids in spring! I've been searching for Epidendrums, Encyclia, Dendrobiums, and checking out Cattleyas, of which there are way too many!

I'm going back to look at Cattleya Minerva, and their other offerings... they have quite a listing!

• soultan
    16 years ago

There is an Orchid festival in Santa Barbara every year. Last year, when we visited the French festival, we jumped over to check it out... I have never heard of an orchid Minerva before. But once again: I don't dig deep in orchids.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

I had never heard of an orchid named Minerva either, but Cindee found it! It's a very pretty one!

Sponsored
More Discussions