SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bronxfigs

Adenium....Approach-Grafting Techniques

I have seen approach-grafting techniques used on braided Ficus benjamina, money-trees-(Pachira aquatica)...various Hibiscus, lucky bamboo...etc. The individual stems of these plants eventually thicken, then fuse into one much thicker, composite-trunk. I've seen Ficus benjamina where the braided stems are just about completely fused into one main trunk.

Question:

Do you think that this technique could be used to form a massive caudex if used to graft Adenium together?

I would like to plant 3-5 Adeniums very closely together, and restrain the basal caudices, possibly with tape, so that they are forced to grow, then eventually fuse together into one lumpy base with branches growing out of the top of the composite-caudex. Of course the Adeniums would be all the same variety, so they would all grow at the same rate. The root system could also be trained to grow in a flattened pattern while the plants are fusing together.

If graft-unions eventually heal over and become less noticeable, I'm guessing that the individual basal caudices will also look like one, lumpy, fat, base after some years of growing and training.

Am I way off track? Has anyone ever tried this method? The Asian Adenium growers seem to use all kinds of artificial techniques to create plants that look like "bonsai" Baobabs...so I was just wondering if approach-grafting might work to this end also.

Interested in your viewpoints, comments, opinions, etc. Thanks....

Frank

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!