SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

American Ladies and Others

MissSherry
10 years ago

The weather has been beautiful for the past several days, so I've been working in the garden and on the property as much as my old body will allow. While I was out in the garden, I saw an American lady - she fluttered over some cudweed the way butterflies do when they're laying an egg. I've been seeing what I thought were ALs for several weeks, but never got close enough to positively ID them until today. I took this time to check out cudweed growing all around here and found three caterpillars, two real small ones and one in a late instar, should be pupating soon. I brought these in to finish raising myself. I didn't get a picture of the American lady, speaking of which, I had to return my new camera. It was ONLY for WiFi, and I didn't see that when I ordered it. We don't have WiFi out here in the country, so I'll have to check for that on any camera I may buy in the future.

American ladies reminded me that I wanted to plant something for them in the raised bed with the new pipevines or one of the other available spots. I've always wanted to grow pearly everlasting/Anaphalis margaritacea, but have never found a source for the plants. But today I did, so I'll see how they do. They're supposed to be evergreen? If anybody has ever grown this plant and has any tips on how it likes to grow, please let me know.

I'm still releasing pipevine swallowtails, and everywhere I go on the property I see them - it's wonderful! More eggs are hatching and more are being laid. I saw a red admiral on the gravel road today, but the false nettles are so small, I don't know if it'd lay eggs on them, even if it was a female. The cold winter and cool spring has apparently delayed their development, but then the weather had made everything late. In addition to the ones I mentioned, I've been seeing a few palamedes swallowtails, a few tiger swallowtails, a pearl crescent here and there, a red-banded hairstreak, a few cloudless sulphurs, little yellows and sleepy oranges, and jillions of Carolina satyrs. And I have a LOT of hummingbirds, plus I'm seeing and hearing the avian spring arrivals, like flycatchers, vireos, hooded warblers, indigo buntings, and the like.

I love spring!!

Sherry

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction