SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daniellalell

Fish Emulsion..EEWW

daniellalell
16 years ago

OK so I bought it, not planning on using it till I got the plants outside, but I'm just too impatient. I read the bottle and it said it was deodorized and good for indoor use. Yeah OK! I opened the bottle and damn near threw up. I thought "alright, well once it's watered down it'll be better". Talk about non-stop gagging while I was mixing it, lmao. That stuff is still stinkin!! I won't be doin that again till they are outside! O, I felt like I was out at sea usin chum..just nasty!! I wish it was nice weather so I could open the windows. I keep waiting for DH to say "What the F is that smell??" lol Kids havent complained either. I'm surprised since I have fishy plants in the kitchen, bedroom and front room. Lesson learned.

Comments (31)

• eloise_ca
    16 years ago

Funny Daniella, guess you had to find out on your own what others have said about the smell of Fish Emulsion!

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

LOL Daniella

I don't have that problem with the stuff in the white container. There is a gag factor when I pour it, but past that, it isn't too bad.

Then again, it is out in the green room, so even if it was horrific, it isn't in my house.

Which brand did you buy? Mine is the Lily Miller. White container, Alaska in red letters.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

My cats love the smell. lol
    Karyn

• daniellalell
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes El, I guess I am a have to see for myself kinda gal. lmao..I still smell it! I even had to take a shower when I was done, then I kept puttin my hair in front of my nose as I walked by em so I would smell shampoo and not fish, lol.
    Yes Annette, it is Lily Miller Alaska Fish Fert.
    I expected it to be nasty, just not that nasty, lol. I didn't expect it to be that color either, than again what other color would it be. Looked like liquified dog poop, lmao.
    Karyn, I was surprised the cat and puppy weren't trying to lick the pots, lol. The puppy did come over and smell the tub I was bottom watering from..she turned her nose up and walked away, lol.
    Daniella

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I decided to give the plants in the GH some FE in their water this morning. OMG! The smell in the GH is so bad, even 3 hours later. The sun is strong and the GH is so hot and humid with the doors and the vents closed the smell is overpowering. I had to pop the vents and leave the door open even though it's only about 40 degrees outside. When I've used it in the house the smell dissapates in a short time. Even when I use it in the big GH it doesn't linger for long. I guess this one is just so small, hot and humid. I hope the stench is gone soon. It even clings to your clothing if you go in there. My kids asked why I smelled so bad when I walked inside. Great, it's a good thing I didn't go out in public yet. lol
    Karyn

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

Sorry about the GH,Karyn. My nose is offended for 24 hours when I use this stuff outside!!!!! Did some of the Brugs about 2 weeks agao, thinking that it wouldn't be so bad outdoors. Wrong! It took until the middle of the next day for the stench to disipate. To top it off, don't see any difference in the Brugs! Used it once inside ... Never again!! (gagging) Even the Great Dane was whimpering.;0)Gloria

• daniellalell
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LMAO Karyn..I feel for ya! See, that's why I had to hop in the shower when I was done, lol. Get a fan goin out there!!

I'm wondering if I am gonna have every cat in the neighborhood in my yard when I use it outside.

Gloria, poor doggy, lol. Nasty stuff, that's for sure.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

The exhaust fan was going, window vents popped open and the door was open. It still reeks a bit. I'll never use it in that GH again.
    Karyn

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Lol, I am like that with smells. I can gag over a funky smell a block away and hubby could get sprayed by a skunk and never know it. That was why I was amazed he could smell the brug blooming.

• shortyhead
    16 years ago

LMAO Daniella and Karyn. For about 30 dollars, you can get gas masks with 2 canisters at Lowe's and other places. I can just picture it. Everyone in the family walking around with gas masks on, sitting down to dinner. "You look like a fly, mom. Shut up kid, so do you. Then at bedtime, everyone going to bed with their mask. And intimate times with the mask that sticks out a bit--clack, clack as you try to kiss. A riot.:)

Jim

• daniellalell
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kristy, I'm usually not too bad with smells, but fish is the absolute one thing I can not stand. I can go fishing, handle bait and live fish..but once they are dead I just can't deal. Fish is the only thing that will make me gag. DH on the other hand, forget it..he gags when the cat dumps in the litter box, lol. He's a gagger.

Jim, That's funny, lol. I can see it. Could you imagine..the mailman knocks at the door with a pkg, and I answer..he sees us all with gas masks. The police would probably wind up being here, lmao...especially since I live right across from the P.O., Hazmat teams. Callin us terrorists. Where's the anthrax??
    OK maybe thats not funny.

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Eh, I can't throw stones. I'm a gagger with doggy doo-doo.

and that becomes a problem with his accidents now that he's older.

I was told by DH that he is now convinced that LISTENING to me clean the dog's accidents is almost as unpleasant as cleaning the dog's accident.(grin)

Yeeeeeeeep, yeeeeeep, yep. It's 3am and talkin' gagging? Something is definately wrooooooong here. . .

Wierdness. . .

• jeep461
    16 years ago

I bought a gallon of Cod Liver Oil a while back for the dogs. They barfed so here it sits a year later. I may try it on plants. Not as smelly as emulsion. I have 0 plants inside so it will get used outside. Anyone tried Cod Liver oil? I read up on it and somebody has a patent on its use ??????? Weird...

Here is a link that might be useful: Cod liver oil on plants

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

What is Cod liver oil used for on a plant?

Would that be like a hort oil?

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I'm a gagger when it comes to the litter box. I solved that problem about 15 years ago. When I first got pregnant I couldn't change the box and I never took that nasty job back from DH after the kids were born : ) A bigger problem was dirty diapers. I'd barf every time I saw a dirty diaper. Luckily that was only until I had my own children. I still can't stomach any other kid's diaper but my own children don't make me toss my cookies. Jim I'd never heard of that for plants.
    Karyn

• daniellalell
    Original Author
    16 years ago

interrestind Jim..didnt even seem like english to me, lol.
    It's really not as bad as the emulsion? I can't even deal with products like Desitin for diaper rash that have mainly cod liver oil. So I'd prob be gaggin on that tooo, lol.
    O look at me, I type so well, lol. Too lazy to go back and fix it.
    Why did you buy it for the dogs? And how much of it did you give them?
    I give my dogs olive oil. About 1 Tsp a day in with their food. Makes coats soft and shiny, lessens if not compleltly rids them of dander, And they shed less.
    Daniella

• daniellalell
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wondering if the soil in my pots will smell every time I water them now? Why do I have to be so dang impatient?

Karyn..hows the GH smellin?? ANy better?

• karyn1
    16 years ago

It finally dissipated by the evening. I've never had the stench linger for that long before but I've also never used it in such a small humid GH. It was so funky, nasty, yuck!!!
    Karyn

• daniellalell
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL Karyn. I only smell mine now when I get really close to the pots. Its worse in the kitchen since one of the pots is nose level at the sink.
    Daniella

• jeep461
    16 years ago

Oh, now you have to try shrimp emulsion !!!!!!! Makes fish smell like perfume.

Dan, I bought it cause I used to feed it to livestock and it made their coats real shiny. shiny coat= healthy animal. It was some type of English, but seemed to try to cover every base possible for a patent. So I guess I might be in patent violation using my livestock oil on plants??? Who cares, it cannot sit another year at $ 30.00 a gallon.

PS, I am going to try mop and glow on some plants. It is an acrylic polymer. Maybe a cheap AS ?? Now that said I have tried muratic acid to lower the soil ph. LOL it does work and is real cheap. I will try anything once. Just tinkering.

Jim

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Jim you crack me up with what you put on your plants, lol. My hubby is the same way. If I tried any of that I'm sure I would kill mine the first attempt, lol. I may need to get my dog some of that stuff if it will stop the shedding and dander. Man the little one sheds bad. I was oustside last night and smelled wood smoke like a fire was burning in the area. I was really worried since we had such high wind and all the fires we have been having in the state so I watched the news and the closest fire it showed was about 100 miles away. Boy I really do have a good sniffer, lol. I have to diagnose the smells at the shop too. Its like yep they accidentally put diesel instead of gas. I can tell from the smell and can detect an exhaust leak a mile away, lol.

• jeep461
    16 years ago

F4F- It has been windy here. It blew the tops off some young 2 footers and destroyed a bunch of flowers. Hope it stops my plants are flushing . Then that is spring in Texas. I am the what if and why person. LOL too boring just as is. I start small and work up until I get results one way or another. I used mop and glow on my offshore boat made it look good all the time. Also hit my Teak with transmission fluid made it look like a million. This break your back work is for the Birds. Trial and few errors. Using Teak oil was my worst error stains everything, tranny fluid worked so much better.

I have a super sniffer also. I was in VFD for 10 years and could sniff one out and locate direction. Bad for winter winds and cedar. I can tell what is cooking and what ingredients are in it. The summer is good, wind off the water carries no pollen.

• daniellalell
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jim, O I'll pass on the shrimp thanks, lol.

I really dont think it would be a patent violation. Your not selling it. And besides, if I remember correctly from when I read it..or tried, lol..the ingredients are many kinds of fish oils in that concoction, not just cod.
    I agree, I would use it too so it didnt just sit around getting wasted.
    Mop and GLow? Like the stuff you use on floors? Are you serious? How do you plan on doing that?

Kristy, glad the fires aren't clsoe to you.

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

We did have one fairly close last night that burned about 60 acres but no homes were lost. Maybe my nose has ESP now, lol. Jim I told hubby about the mop and glow for the boat. He is going to try it. He loves to make the boat nice and shiny, lol. I hope we get to come to the coast and go fishing this spring. If we do I will come see you and Barbra while I'm down that way. I hope your buds hold. This wind has been brutal.

• jeep461
    16 years ago

Mop and glow LOL. keeps the floor clean also. No stains. A lot of the toothy fishes had to be killed on the deck or they would come back to life in the fury of a strike and fight and try to bite your foot off. Snow bowl from Walmart for your toilet instantly removes any stain then mop and glow it. I know a lot of commercial fishermen these are things they use.

My place is fenced and cross fenced. If we had a brush fire they would destroy (trucks) all my oaks and plants. I have my own fire plan. I have enough water to fight one myself on my own property. They can knock the neighbors stuff down with the brush trucks.

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Ohhhh shrimp emulsion? Oh noooooooooooooooo. . .no nonononoooooooooo. . .

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Lol, Jim. Thanks I will try that toilet bowl stuff. Our water has a lot of some kind of stuff that leaves a deposit on everything.

• daniellalell
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Same here Kristy, it's terrible. Thanks Jim, I'm gonna try that too! Hopefully you willl never have fires on your properties!! And will never have to worry about that, always good to have a plan!

• hong2007
    16 years ago

I bought some fish emultion for my brugs and my roses, and I feed them this evenigh. This is the second time i use this stuff. the last time was couple of year ago! it smell so bad I hate to use it, but since I got interest in brug last fall, and I saw poses about brugs and fish emultion quite often in this forum, so i broke down and use it today. How often should I use this stinky stuff on the plants? I also feed it bone meal and systemic ferlizer once every six week.

• jardinerowa
    15 years ago

Everyone has been raving about fish emulsion so I tried some on a few of my greenery plants on the balcony and you're right..it smells horrible!! I used one of my watering cans and now I can't get the smell out of the water can!! Anyone have any ideas?

Zach

• daniellalell
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL Zach, it sure is nasty. After you use the watering can a couple more times the smell will go away. Did you use the right proportions? I use 2 tblsps for my 2 gallon watering can. The last time I used it, I didn't mix it with plain water, I used manure/compost tea..ya wanna talk about stench? I was outside and I was gagging, lol.
    I guess if the smell left in the WC really bothers you that much you could just squirt some dish soap & water in there, swish it around, let it sit a bit, then dump it, but I don't suggest you dump it on the plants. Vinegar would prob work too. Good luck!

Daniella

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner