SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chrisdotson34

Optunia (species?)Blooms like crazy but never bears fruit!ADVISE?

Aloha amazing gardeners!!!
I live in Kauai, where it rains pretty often- I am actually about 10-15 miles from (maybe 20-25miles) from one of the wettest spots on earth- Mount Wai'ale'ale's peak gets on average more than 452 inches of rain a year!!
So, my problem however is that my home has an amazingly beautiful and super healthy prickly pear cactus on the south facing side and its root ball is in a covered area so it can stay somewhat dry (this is the good stuff) however, she/he flowers much of the year as we have mostly minimal seasons- BUT these flowers won't ever bear fruit!!
I just recently attempted to hand pollinate about 15 of the flowers to see if that will help as I really want some fruit- but that was only 4 days ago- so no noticeable difference on those buds yet- anyone that can share some advice or any insight into what might be the issue or any tricks I can try here would be SO GRATEFULLY APPRECIATED!!! And if I get fruit ill send the advisor free seeds no shipping once I get fruit!! Thanks everyone!!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths