SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flutterbug_gw

Eastern Tigers and Prunus Species Besides Serotina

flutterbug
17 years ago

I've checked the facts for Eastern Tiger Swallowtails host plants for a year, hoping that others might be added. They seem to have a large amount of hosts according to butterfly books, but the faq only lists Prunus serotina and Tulip Tree. I want to plant some host plants for them, but I have read negative things about P. serotina, as far as it having tons of seedlings to remove every year and it's suckering habit, etc. Plus both of these get much larger than I would like, I had about 30 trees cut down so I wouldn't have so much shade, so I could plant lots of nectar flowers and host plants, so I don't want trees that get real big and shade my yard. I have been considering trying something like a beach plum, or american plum since they are much smaller. What I am wondering is if there is anybody out there that has had success attracting egg-laying Tigers on any other Prunus besides serotina? I don't like raising cats (I am too nervous I'll kill them) so I definitely need something they'll want to use in the wild. I just don't see why they wouldn't use other Prunus species if they are native in their natural range.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH