SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chaparralgirl

to Kiwi or not to Kiwi...

chaparralgirl
12 years ago

Sorry again, Colleen. :) Here are some pics of the whole of the plant. If it's not a Kiwi, it's not a Kiwi - I'm just curious to know what it is. Some of these shots are for ID, but most are for artistic effect. Enjoy!

{{gwi:478679}}

{{gwi:478681}}

{{gwi:478684}}

{{gwi:478686}}

{{gwi:478687}}

{{gwi:478690}}

{{gwi:478693}}

{{gwi:478696}}

*CG*

Comments (38)

• CorpsmanCooper
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oooooh I don't know what it is but I like it! You should really move to Florida! It seems we have the same taste :-)

~Erin~

• hijole
    12 years ago

Difinately Kiwi chaparralgirl and nice plants that send out many aerial roots seeking soil and at my house are easy to grow in hard soil in the ground, but especially in cacti soil. Nice hues in color, pinks , purples, tan, reds, and nice lime greens. I like to use them in community pots they make nice color background. Enjoy them.

Greg

• Related Discussions

Anyone want to swap? Here's my list:

Q

Comments (1)
    I have some one year old Valiant grapes if you want some. I could dig them and bareroot them. if you wanted some Frontenac or Catawba, I could graft them over for you, as these will make a fine rootstock. I could use some strawberry's, but do not know much about them. I think my email is in my profile if you are interested?
    ...See More

Green Zepri kiwi and Jumbo hardy kiwi

Q

Comments (11)
    The green Zespri brand kiwis are small like the first kiwis I saw in the grocery stores many years ago. I bought some very large green kiwis a few months ago, and they almost looked like two fruits fused together. The cashier told me she used to enjoy kiwis, but said she didn't like them anymore. The flavor of the large fruit was bland, and I remembered why I stopped buying them. When I saw the Zespri brand green kiwi, I decided to see if they were as good as the golden kiwis. They were not, but still alot better than the other green kiwis. So that is what had me suspecting there was more than one clone used other than Hayward. Is the ZespriGold a single clone grown only by Zespri growers? It will be a while before my gold seeds grow into fruiting plants, so if anyone knows where mature plant material can be found for sale or trade, I'd love to get a a pair. They should mature well here in Virginia. mescalito@operamail.com
    ...See More

Growing Hort16A Kiwi PDF guide (in French)

Q

Comments (20)
    Searching the scarce information about Hort16a growing guidelines, I have found this document (sorry, again in French) dated in January 2001, when Hort16a was a novelty. If you don't understand french, I have extracted, in my opinion, the most important things for Hort16a growing (it probably is useful for Hort16a seedling too): - It is more vigorous than Hayward - It is very productive. The fruits are disposed along all the cane. - The percentage of non-fruiting buds is less important than in hayward (30% against 50%). - There aren't double or flat fruits. - The branching habit over the cane is with spur trend, which permits (when the number of replacement canes aren't enough) to keep a cane for a second year of production. - Due to its vigor, it is necessary 4 to 5 pruning passes during the summer, instead of 2 to 3 for Hayward. - In the case of "T" bar training, the Hort16 vigor is stressed in the bent of the cane. It is better a pergola training. - When grafted on adult Hayward rootstocks, it is capable to make the 70% of the canopy in the first year. We can obtain the full yield in 3 years. - It is cropped before Hayward, but it is the flesh color what determines the crop date.
    ...See More

WANTED: Correction: Want to Trade Kiwi Full Monty for Kiwi Blue

Q

Comments (0)
    Correction: Want to Trade Kiwi Full Monty for Kiwi Blue Flash see my trade list: http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/angelonia_anne
    ...See More
  • Colleen E
    12 years ago

Ah, see, Greg already took care of it for ya. Cute plant, but probably among my least favorite Aeoniums, surprisingly, because I love a thicker trunk. Again, also like Aeonium haworthii a lot, but have slight trunk sadness.

But still, on the bushy side with thin little limbs, I do go for that periodically. Aeonium lindleyi I've always liked...and I'm not sure if I possibly picked up a relative of it recently, but the limbs are maintaining a green appearance. Delicate little thing.

{{gwi:478699}}

My 'Kiwi' looks pretty sad. Had scale twice during the summer, and then last week while walking over an icy spot the pot slipped out of my hands and fell and broke, and broke off leaves and branches, so I'm re-rooting the remains...poor thing just looks like crap.

• chaparralgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Erin: Hehe. Several years ago I was considering moving to Florida, but to Tampa - that's where my dad's family is. Being married now, however, and both of us being tied to SoCal for work, that doesn't look like it's anywhere in our future plans (although last night I had a bizarre dream about moving to Wyoming or Wisconson or somewhere like that, along the Canadian border).

Greg: So it is a "Kiwi," then. :) Thanks for confirming! This was a Petco find. They carry a modest selection of succulents for folks to put in their reptile terrariums. Ridiculously overpriced, and not labeled worth anything. But it was really cute, and so far it's been doing well for me - not counting the recently discovered mealies, of course.

Colleen: Really, no kidding - your least favorite? But it's so cute! :) I gotcha, tho. Good to know, too, in case I ever decide to "surprise" you again. ;)

If your "poor thing" that "just looks like crap" is what's in the photo, I'd say it looks pretty good. My Aeoniums are looking fairly dismal, IMO. Part of the problem is our foster dog keeps getting at them and pulling them up. Not a lot of options for other places to keep them right now, unfortunately.

*CG*

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Ah, no, I meant that's possibly A. lindleyi there in the photo--not lookin' too bad! 'Kiwi,' trust me, doesn't look too delighted with life or with me right now.

Aeonium arboreum luteovariegatum is less popular than A. 'Kiwi,' but I think it's much more stunning, personally. And Aeonium castello-paivae f. variegata 'Suncup' is so little and variegated that it's adorable.

Bad, bad dog! Pick another plant to pull up! Of all the things to be pulling up.

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

CG, I believe your plant is Aeonium decorum.

• paracelsus
    12 years ago

I agree with Rosemarie.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

CG, very nice succulents, just beautiful!

I received a nice Christmas gift from my daughter and the person/vendor she bought it from said its Aeonium 'kiwi'? Does this look like the right name? Does it like direct or filtered sun?

I hope you don't mind me asking on your post CG, Thanks!

{{gwi:478701}}

{{gwi:478703}}

• CorpsmanCooper
    12 years ago

CG - That reminds me! We're up for new orders in 2 months! My husband's deciding if he wants to stay active duty or not. If we stay in one of our choices in Camp Pendleton. Problem is there is two and I'm not sure if it would be the one in NoCal or SoCal. Hrm! May have to reconsider! We were thinking back to North Carolina but Cali isn't looking too bad now!

~Erin~

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Erin,

TTBOMK, there's only one Camp Pendleton (Oceanside, CA) - it's the only thing which has prevented San Diego from becoming a suburb of Los Angeles.

• chaparralgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pugsie: I don't mind at all! :) If mine is a Kiwi, then I think yours is a Kiwi - they do look the same. I keep mine in filtered light to full sun, depending on how strong and direct the sunlight is. This time of year (winter) I'm ok with giving it direct sunlight; come summer, however, it'll go back to filtered/dappled. (I just try to place it in the shade of another plant.)

Rosie: From what I've found online, Aeonium decorum is Kiwi. Would you say this is correct?

Erin: As far as I know, there's only one Camp Pendelton, and that's in San Diego County, just north of Oceanside. It sure would be cool to have you nearby! (I suppose that's a relative term, tho - I'm still some 150 miles from Oceanside.)

California is a beautiful place to live, to be sure - SoCal weather can't be beat (very Mediterranean), and NorCal is just gorgeous, IMO. Important to remember, tho, that it's expensive to live out here, especially if you're coming from Florida. Cost of living is high, although the Navy should compensate you appropriately (and if you live in gov't housing, that should help a lot, too). One BIG thing I think is very important for potential new residents to be aware of is the cycle of Fire Season. California burns. It always has. It's a part of the natural cycle out here. The major problem is that we (humans) have decided to put our communities smack dab in the middle of fire country - and then we get all panicked when it burns. Camp Pendelton is known to burn as well, especially given all the artillery exercises they do out there. None of this is to deter you from coming out here, it's just something folks need to be aware of, and, unfortunately, far too many new Californians just aren't given a proper primer on how to live with fire. So when it does come, it's this great big huge shocker, instead of something that's been properly prepared for.

I can talk more about this in an e-mail if you like; and if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer as best I can.

*CG*

• CorpsmanCooper
    12 years ago

Hahaha I'm thinking of 29 Palms! Duh! It's too early for me! Kids had me up at 7am and I'm sick on top of that! The Navy would compensate for the cost of living as far as housing but not food and bills. Meh! Something to think about I suppose!

~Erin~

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Erin, maybe you think there are two Camp Pendletons, because on the base they call one part/location South (near the beach) & one part/location North (closer to Fallbrook).

Puglvr, not sure about your plant. I'd say no, not 'Kiwi', unless you see some drastic changes in variegation through the year (also, leaves should be wider, I think). I'll go find some pix of mine to post. BRB

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Thanks CG especially for the sunlight advise!! I live in FL and in the summer especially I can't leave my Jades/Succulents in full sun more than 4 or 5 hours a day...just too much with the very high humidity.

Rosemarie, thanks also, if you find out what it might be please let me know. I do love the pretty colors though!

• chaparralgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Erin: Ah. A whole other ball of wax, that. You won't need to worry about wildfires in Twentynine Palms; but you will need to be prepared for the summer heat. Triple digits, even in the shade. 90s at night. Joshua Tree National Monument is close to there. (There's a technical rescue camp up there I keep meaning to attend, but it's major cha-ching and I always manage to miss the application deadline.)

If you were to move to Twentynine Palms, the care for your plants would change considerably. Still south-facing windows and all that, but the air out here is extremely arid, so you'd be watering more often, and any houseplants you have would absolutely have to remain indoors, or else they're shrivel up. (I had a big, beautiful ginger plant that ultimately dried up and died - not for lack of watering, but because the air gets so dry that the leaves just dried out.) Also, you can keep some C&S outdoors out here in the summer, but they have to be properly acclimated. I've seen some P. afra in broad daylight, full direct sun all day long, and it doesn't faze them at all, but they're acclimated. Winter days here are quite nice - 60s & 70s; nights can get downright frigid, down into the 30s. I was keeping some of my plants outside in a protected area and covering them at night, but I found that sometimes the cold still got to them (i.e. my poor S. arachnoideum), so I brought them all indoors. (I put them outside during the day so they can get sun, and bring them in after dark.)

*CG*

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

*differentiate BETWEEN, rather. Dear Lord, why can't I type.

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

I have three plants that have been identifed as Kiwi. I swear they are three different plants. Maybe you can help me out with my confusion.
    I think the one on the left is Suncup and the one on the right is Kiwi
    {{gwi:478705}}

I have no clue who this is
    {{gwi:478708}}

Did I get this right?

• chaparralgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Penny: I'm inclined to say that the first one is a Suncup and the second is a Kiwi; but all things considered, I'm really better off defferring to others in the area of identification. :) It would seem I can't make hide nor hair of any of these, other than the fact that they're Aeoniums.

Colleen: I'm happy with mine being A. decorum, then. It's cute, either way.

Holy cow, there's a dust storm going on outside! We've got some gnarly winds blowing through, but it was all bright and sun-shiney last time I looked out the window!

*CG*

• hijole
    12 years ago

Ok I agree , they all look like this or like that, mine from the same branch look so different giving them different shades of greens and hues

as I first mentioned but rest assured it is an aeonium Kiwi.

Greg

• chaparralgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here. NOW it's a Kiwi. :)

{{gwi:478710}}

*CG*

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

YUP,only one Camp Pendleton,and i live just outside the main gate in Oceanside.DH is a retired marine,and this is where we stayed when he retired in 74.Your plants will do well here if you live along the coast,but if you live inland,they will still do ok,you just may have to make some adjustments for them.

Maybe we will soon be neighbors!!

Kathi

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Penny: Aeonium castello-paivae f. variegata 'Suncup,' A. 'Kiwi,' and Aeonium haworthii...? :)

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

Teatree, I looked up photos of Aeonium haworthii on Dave's Garden and I'd say you got it right! Thanks! There were 24 photos and there were a lot of variation between them; however, there was one that looked it was grown more in the shade like mine and it's leaves were the same color, shape, etc. Also the photo of the flowers were the same. Interestingly, this plant apparently grows like a ball naturally. I'll have to try that as I like that ball look in succulents...that means I'll have to buy another pot...

• chicagardens
    12 years ago

i think i might steal the spot light too and submit my pic for what i've identified as a kiwi. i'll post later. :D

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

I started to compose a post the other day, then gathering pix to share. Got sidetracked & then we went out to buy a car! Now, feel like napping today in the rain~it is calling to me. Ha! I'll be back with pix, etc. asap! Sorry for the delay!

Laughing at your "Kiwi" plant, CG!! :D

• lzrddr
    12 years ago

Teatree's plant is indeed Aeonium lindleyi, not decorum. A decorum is very similar to haworthii, with rough, sharp edges. A lindleyi is a smooth, shiny-leaved plant with flattened, densly leaved rosettes with all curves... no sharp edges on that species. Pretty uncommon species, though so many not familiar with it (I find it a bit tricky and finicky). A decorum is a super-easy species and much more common. Will show photos later when I have time...

• chaparralgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rosemarie: You're the first (only?) person to say anything about my "Kiwi!" :) Thanks!

*CG*

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

CG, I've often wondered why they named that succulent Kiwi, now I know.

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Sorry to take so long to get back...life is crazy busy!

My thoughts on Aeonium 'Kiwi': [I may be stepping into muddy waters. LOL]

I didn't watermark my photos (as so many pix would take even longer to get posted), so I'm hoping anyone wanting to use any pix, would be considerate enough to ask me for permission first. Thanks!

Long ago, (more than a dozen years), when I first bought my Aeonium 'Kiwi', there wasn't much information one could find on the Net about it. Garden forums were fairly new online. Info for plant IDs on the Net was (and still is) often mistaken. Some folks think just because they find it on the Internet, it must be true. I was told that 'Kiwi' was a cultivar of Aeonium percarneum back then. The rosettes are much larger than A. haworthii. My plant looks like that species (as you will see in pix below). Later, many said it came from A. haworthii or A. decorum. Books on Aeonium now say it is derived from A. haworthii. I understand it is called 'Tricolor' in some places (like Australia) & 'Kiwionium' in Europe.

Examples (click to view larger pix):
    {{gwi:478712}} {{gwi:478714}} {{gwi:478716}} {{gwi:478718}} {{gwi:478721}} {{gwi:478724}} {{gwi:478727}} {{gwi:478730}} {{gwi:478733}} {{gwi:478736}}

I also bought other plants over the years, tagged as 'Kiwi'. To me, they looked more like A. haworthii decendants or more like A. decora f. variegata, but I was not sure if it was because of the growing conditions. I had to wait & see~and then I was not paying attention, lost track~and now have a hard time when comparing them.

June color:
    {{gwi:478737}} Fall coloring: {{gwi:478740}}

May blooming:
    {{gwi:478743}} {{gwi:478746}} {{gwi:478749}} {{gwi:478752}} {{gwi:478755}} {{gwi:478758}} {{gwi:478763}} {{gwi:478767}} {{gwi:478771}}

I'm hoping some pix will show what I mean & not confuse further. One of our rare freezes took out most of my original 'Kiwi' (here, beautiful colors before it died)
    {{gwi:478775}}
    & flowering branches later took out more. I only have a few rosettes left from the original plant. Funny thing is, NOW they look more like those others I bought, with smaller rosettes like that of A. haworthii.
    Ones I considered imposters:
    {{gwi:478778}} {{gwi:478781}} {{gwi:478784}} {{gwi:478787}} {{gwi:478791}}

What’s left of the plant in the 1st photo:

{{gwi:478794}} {{gwi:478797}}

Hope it wasn't so long it drove you bonkers!!

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness, Rosemarie. Your original plant was/is absolutely to die for. The sheer size of those rosettes takes the cake. Thank God that freeze didn't take out the whole plant. Man, I'd buy a rosette of that plant in a heartbeat. The color you get is just exquisite.

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Thanks, Colleen! Yes, I LOVED my original plant-would have to say it's in my Top 5 list (the color changes being a large part of the reason)! LOL BTW, the plant you posted above on the 20th, looks more like an Aichryson sp. to me than Aeonium lindleyi, which I believe has pudgy leaves (although I could be mistaken).

CG, I hope I answered your question about A. decorum-'Kiwi' is not derived from it. That does not mean your plant could not have a variegated form.

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

Beautiful photos! I can't wait until mine grow big enough to look more impressive. I especially enjoyed the photos of the ones that were not cresting, that clean rosette look is so appealing to me. Seems that the vast majority of mine are cresting and they look like balls instead of rosettes.

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

OK, Rosemarie, I think you very well may be correct there. Far be it from me to know what that plant was. I'm not familiar with Aichryson species and will have to do some looking.

Penny, can I trade lives with you? Because I would love mine to be cresting, lol.

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Penny, I think you may have your terminology mixed up a tad. I looked at all of my pix again, and none of the plants are "cresting". I think what you may mean is when they start to form any inflorescence (and stretch out). Is that right? The buds will form at the end, creating a panicle of blooms.

Cresting is when the stem spreads out in a fan shape with many leaves/rosettes crammed together (instead of individual stems for each rosettes) forming along the top. See link below to some examples.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cresting plants

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

Oh, I meant that mine are cresting and yours (mostly) are not. I enjoy the single rosette appearance.

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Oh gee...slap me! I was not awake & misread that!!

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Absolutely Amazing Rosemarie. Thanks for all the beautiful pictures...I'm SO envious of your plants!!

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Thanks, puglvr1! I'm tempted to make a post w/some other pix, but fear I wouldn't have time to reply to responses. We shall see! If time, maybe I will.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor