SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shimla81

Those 'special' seeds

shimla
16 years ago

I'm working on a huge garden redo (going from sun to shade) and had a bad run 2 years in a row. I had hardly anything to plant this year and almost all that germinated were the sun lovers. I had some really wonderful varieties that I lost, mainly all sent in to me via the 'wish list' swaps. I was really disappointed that so many took the time to select some beautiful things for my garden and I botched it.

I'm in another swap now and I've also ordered a bunch of seed as well. I know most everyone has at least a pack or two of 'special' seeds and I'm trying to come up with a game plan for this year. I'm going for my normally high success rate again! The best idea I could come up with was that I should split the seeds into two planting times (like Dec/Jan and then late Feb/Mar). Has anyone that's already done this kept records of how it worked? Did you notice that one pot germinated and the other didn't? I'm going to be doing a huge sowing this year and don't want extra pots if it's not needed.

I have the whole grow-light set up and could do a back-up this way (I actually really enjoy it). However, I've got a large variety I'd like to grow and would prefer to WS since the hardening off process is not an issue.

Thanks in advance,

shimla

Comments (6)

Sponsored