SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob_71

Early Nectar Sources

bob_71
13 years ago

I live close to the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland. The earliest arrivals are usually the Cabbage White, followed shortly by the Spring Azure. Especially for these two, I have felt that I had little, or nothing, to offer for their nectaring needs.

This year I bought plants of snapdragons locally (even though I have had host plant usage ONLY in the past) and ordered Pentas from ALMOST EDEN down in Louisiana. I had the plants from ALMOST EDEN shipped on March 15. This is a full month before our "Last Frost Date" of April 20. Since I grow these in 5 gallon pots, I am able to move them into or out of the garage as needed. The Pentas came in as larger plants than I expected and had flower buds already formed. I ordered seven varieties since I had never previously grown Pentas and wanted to determine if the butterflies showed any preference for any of the varieties. Of the seven, three had leaf problems (wilt, crisp leaf edges, leaf dropping). The other four were fine. I wonder if any of you experienced Penta growers have had any leaf related problems with yours? I have been spraying every week with Banner-Maxx and Bayers Disease Control on an alternating basis. Two have shown signs of improvement and one remains rather sickly.

I am now getting some blooms on the Pentas...this is Penta lanceolata-White.

{{gwi:460136}}

Thanks,

Bob

Comments (7)

Sponsored