SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jodik_gw

Opening Soon!

jodik_gw
16 years ago

Hello everyone! Just another update on my Hippi population! There are a few bulbs growing nice scapes... among them are Limona, Amalfi, Sweet Lilian, Exotic Star, Aphrodite, Red Pearl and Hermitage. Red Lion is growing a nice set of leaves, but no scapes are visible yet. Below are a few new pictures, taken this morning, of Sweet Lilian and Amalfi, both near opening, and Limona with a nice fat scape!

Sweet Lilian, with Amalfi to the left...

{{gwi:438131}}

Amalfi...

{{gwi:438133}}

Limona...

{{gwi:438135}}

Thanks for looking!

As a footnote, Sweet Lilian has opened significantly more since morning! The petals are beginning to separate and open! As soon as it opens fully, I'll snap more photos! This is so exciting!

Comments (56)

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I must say, it's very delicate looking, and the colors are soft and pretty... I'm impressed so far!

I was wondering the same thing... is it a Diploid? or a Tetraploid? Can it be self pollinated? Should I save the pollen, since I have nothing else small-flowered in bloom yet? The only thing that might open while Sweet Lilian is still blooming is Amalfi, and I'm sure that's a large-flowered variety... I wouldn't want to do a cross between those two even if I could... it just doesn't seem worth while, color-wise...

• salpal
    16 years ago

jodi are you a night owl like me? I get on some crazy schedules sometimes because I work nights several "days" a week. You could try self-pollinate, I think "the" Hans said diploids are less likely to self, also even if you didn't want the seed you could try to put a tetraploid pollen on it to see if it would take. However, if it took the flower may not last as long...(none of mine have ever lasted long enough...)Anyway, it appears that the most foolproof way to figure out ploidity is to experiment.(THIS is what I most like about gardening!) But it might be nice to cross them, I am not the expert, I wonder about that. I have some crosses which are unlikely to be spectacular because I first started the hippeastrum crazy/crossing before I did any researching. Now they have survived 2 summers and there is nooooo way I'm giving up my results. Thanks for all of your beautiful photos!

• Related Discussions

A Late Christmas Gift... and others.

Q

Comments (8)
    If you think it's really nice now, just wait until the bulb season begins next fall! You'll positively freak out! As late summer/fall approaches, we begin to put some bulbs to rest, or bring in the ones we had outdoors enjoying the sun... at that point, many of us are looking forward to the bulb catalogs we know will be coming soon... by Christmas, we're in full swing, buying bulbs and beginning to enjoy their blooms... it's awesome! After Christmas, the bulb sales begin... and we all scramble to find the varieties we're looking for at better prices! The photos are posted more frequently, and we're in the throes of our bulb addiction! By this time, we're about done with the purchasing... March is considered very late for buying the previous season's bulbs. Those of us who let our bulbs bloom on a natural schedule are now beginning to post more bloom pictures... and then, we fill in the slow summer months with garden photos, photos of other bulb types, etc... and we await fall again! It's sort of a full time forum... summer being the slowest season, and fall/winter being the busy time. I doubt you'll find another group of gardeners anywhere that are as special as this bunch! Everyone here is wonderful... I feel very fortunate to belong to this little online family! :-)
    ...See More

Arborea ready to open soon!

Q

Comments (16)
    Congrats! That's what I remember Edna's Arborea looking like. I don't much care for white brugs but I really like that one. I hope she continues to grow well for you.
    ...See More

Daisy Wilcox should bloom soon

Q

Comments (7)
    All my cuttings have done well and have been putting out lots of foliage and surprisingly inflos. I did receive 2 that had visible inflos but the rest developed after I potted them. I'd never rooted a cutting that had an inflo and was going to cut them off. I'm glad that I didn't because they've all been growing fine. I think I got the majority of the cuttings 2-3 months ago. I do have 2 that I got a few weeks ago. I think I have somewhere around 15 cuttings that are rooting or have recently rooted but they are all still inside on seed mats. My mature plants and seedlings have been outside for a while. Karyn
    ...See More

Northeast Pool Owners....You opening soon?

Q

Comments (10)
    We opened (in Southern NH) 2 weeks ago. It was the first time I opened myself, so I wanted time to work out any kinks for NH vacation week in case things warmed up (it didn't). We just cranked up the heat (Propane) on Thursday and it was warm and toasty by Friday. Had two great swim days with friends on Saturday/Sunday (water stayed at about 84 with our heat pump while we were swimming) and the air fluctuated between 70 to 45 (by 8pm)...It was cold to get out... We definitely opened too early, but enjoyed looking at the open pool, so it was worth it. Now that I know how easy it was to open my pool, next year I can wait until I see mid-70s in the weather before opening.
    ...See More
  • soultan
    16 years ago

Amalfi is also a "miniature", though when you'll see the flowers, you will not think so. It is a middle sized flower.

About pollinating: only pollinate when the flower is at its end... This way you are not accelerating the wilting progress. It works for me. The flowers still take pollen when they are about to wilt. You can see when the petals start to look fragile and tear for the touch. That is the time (for me) to pollinate. This way, I can enjoy the flowers as long as possible.
    And I would cross pollinate with Amalfi. Why not. What is the worse that could happen? No seeds. :o) An experiment.

• cuddlyotter
    16 years ago

Jodik:

GORGEOUS pictures there...I love some of the effects you put in there with photoshop filters. Man...one could spend DAYS doing all of that with dozens of pictures.

Thanks for sharing.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Salpal - I am only a night owl because I have terrible insomnia... I'd love to be able to sleep at night like everyone else! It's ok, though... my husband is a night owl, so at least we spend time together! I used to work a split shift job... 12 hour shifts, 3 days on, 2 off... then it would change. It was really good money, but the hours about killed me! So, I know how you feel! I might just try crossing Amalfi and Sweet Lilian, after all... if Amalfi is not large-flowered, then it might work.

Soultan - Thanks for that information... I'm not sure yet about which flowers are large and which are small... but I am taking notes and keeping lists. Also, I will wait a couple of days before pollinating, so I can enjoy the flowers longer!

Cuddlyotter - Photoshop has some amazing filters and effects... I used to play with them a lot when I was working on web sites... imagine, if you will, what a close-up of a puppy's face looks like "wrapped in plastic"... it's hilarious because you know it isn't real! There are all sorts of other effects packages out there, like Kai's Power Goo... we used to use all those to tweak photos for fun!

• irish_rose_grower
    16 years ago

I'm really enjoying these pics. That is amazing how fast it opened. I have amalfi too but I haven't potted mine yet. Thanks for sharing these pics.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Ooooohhh Jodi, your photos are splendid! You are getting to be really talented there girl. Tell me more about Photo Shop...I am a frustrated commercial artist. I only do works for myself and friends anymore, couldn't stand the pressure of others flat-visioned criticism. I have been wanting to get Photo Shop. I had a small version of it years ago. Will you tutor me if I venture into buying it?

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cindee - Don't buy any software until you read my email!

Thanks, you guys! I'm having a blast photographing these flowers! They are wonderful subjects!

Here's more pictures, taken this evening... Amalfi has decided to open, and I think Exotic Star will open tomorrow or the next day... Enjoy!

Sweet Lilian, again...
    {{gwi:438157}}

and again...
    {{gwi:391316}}

and once more...
    {{gwi:438160}}

Amalfi, just opening...
    {{gwi:385361}}

another angle...
    {{gwi:385362}}

Exotic Star and Limona, opening soon!
    {{gwi:438163}}

Thanks for looking, again!!

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Ohhh Jodi-Smashing!! I can't wait to see your Exotic Star. It was one of my all time favorites last year. I love it's stripes.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks! I'll post a picture as soon as it opens! I wouldn't be surprised if that happened today, or later this evening!

• mariava7
    16 years ago

Lovely pics Jodic! Now your making me want to get a Sweet Lilian. I'll have to look into WWF website again.

My first bloomer for the newly purchased bulbs will be Top Choice. It will be opening it's flowers in a few days. I won't be having much blooms soon for I had to plant the bad bulbs first. I am planning to hold the planting of the newly purchased bulbs till maybe January or February if I can.
    My winter growing space is so limited this year with the seedlings getting first priority and I don't want to set up more lights. The established cybisters/exotics just decided to wake up and started leafing out. They didn't even shed their old leaves yet. La Paz (again)and "sick" Papilio have scapes peaking out.

I'll post pics of Top Choice when it's flowers open.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Opening soon at Cindee's.....San Remo
    {{gwi:438165}}

I can't wait! I must have gone out to the patio to look at it a dozen times today! lol

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I swear they open right before your eyes, Cindee! At least, that's about how fast both Sweet Lilian and Amalfi opened! They were buds one morning, and by evening, they were nearly open! Looks like San Remo has a huge bud, there! The stalk looks really nice and fat!

Thanks, Maria! I'm really having fun watching my flowers open and taking pictures of them! If I'm not careful, I'll be too busy watching them and forget to pollinate! I can't wait to see pictures of what's opening for you!

I wish my Papillio would bloom this year, but I think I'm going to have to wait until next year... I think it's still a bit young. And I also wish that La Paz would begin growing... it's been planted for the same amount of time as the others, but it's still waking up, I think.

• soultan
    16 years ago

Exciting. Everything is blooming for you, and I got this mutt as Angelique. :o) I need some success too!

• elizabeth_jb
    16 years ago

Soultan!

I think they got a head start on us, don't you?

My older bulbs will not start blooming until after the new year, but thankfully, I will have a few this year in December, I hope!

In the meantime, I am enjoying everyone else's.

• soultan
    16 years ago

No. They have not, I am just still planting my old bulbs and this cold weather does not help them to develop. Actually, as I see, my new house is quite cold, so it is not really amaryllis friendly. I might have hard time getting my bulbs starting well and blooming for me. It might take longer for them to do everything. Though it is true, I might have longer blooming periods as well.
    And I just bought a blooming Angelique... So I have flower in my house right now. The fake Angelique and the Brasbonitas Angelique.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Anticipation
    {{gwi:438167}}
    Anticipayaytion, is making me late
    {{gwi:438169}}
    Ant 2 of my other favorite blooms...Emerald Eyed Smudge and Golden eyed Tootie....
    {{gwi:438171}}{{gwi:438173}}
    {{gwi:438175}}{{gwi:438178}}

• anna_in_quebec
    16 years ago

I love those furry blooms!! Is Smudge a male? Male tortoiseshells are very rare.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Hi anna, both my babies are female. Tootie actually adopted Smudge at the vets once when I was boarding her. Tootie was born at the vets, and they never put her in a cage. She just roamed the back rooms with the technicians. One night one of the gals was bathing these 6 week old Torties for aboption. Tootie jumped up on the table and took Smudge over to her corner blanket to sleep with. Needless to say I had to bring Smudge home. Tootie spent 3 days crying until I went back to get Smudge.

• soultan
    16 years ago

Maria!
    Look at these furry flowers. This is where the flea bath comes handy!

• cindeea
    16 years ago

LOL my furry flowers DO NOT have fleas!!

• soultan
    16 years ago

You see... The bath has helped... :o) We have to justify the flea bath for Maria!

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Soultan!! Behave!! My cats are indoor pets and have NEVER had fleas or a flea bath...now, Maria, well that's a different thing. Do you notice she scratches a lot??

• soultan
    16 years ago

Hehe... I am not a Beehive!

• mariava7
    16 years ago

Hahahaha...You guys are crazy!

Guess who opened its blooms for me today while I was at work? Top Choice!!! Very interesting one... I will be needing fresh pollens for this one. Now...where are my friends? :-) I'll post pics tomorrow.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Photos Maria?? I have some frozen pollen from that dark red undecided beauty. Do you want it?
    Mystery Velvety Red.
    {{gwi:438180}}

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cindee - Love your kitties! I'm glad I'm not allergic to pictures! And your flower is almost open! Yay!

I pollinated Sweet Lilian last night

spilled coffee in my keybord... must find replcment... be bck ltr..... lol

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm back, with a different keyboard! Thank goodness "Old Guy" is a collector of junk! There are times when his pack-ratting is actually a blessing! I, like an idiot, spilled coffee all over my keyboard... I blow-dried it, but apparently that's not going to work this time... (yes, I've spilled coffee before!) It will have to be taken apart and cleaned the right way. New Jodi Rule in effect: No Liquid On Desk!

Ok... that out of the way... I did some pollinating last night... I did Sweet Lilian x Sweet Lilian, Sweet Lilian x Amalfi, Sweet Lilian x Exotic Star... I also did Amalfi x Amalfi, Amalfi x Sweet Lilian, Amalfi x Exotic Star... and I did Exotic Star x Exotic Star... so, now I hope for the best!!

I believe that Exotic Star is a diploid, and that's according to information I gleaned reading past posts from this forum... as for the others, I'm not sure... I'm keeping detailed notes for future reference. As other flowers open, I will do more pollinating... I even made little tags out of Nymo thread and address labels so I could "tag" each flower that I pollinate!

• cindeea
    16 years ago

I hope your Exotic Star crossings take, jodi!

• soultan
    16 years ago

Cindee,

Top Choice is small flowering. You can try the Undecided-large-flowering-deep- red with it. Sometimes small flowering ones take large pollen and vica versa...

• mariava7
    16 years ago

Yes Top Choice is small flowering with LOTS of flowers/scape. Ten flowers/buds on the first scape. A good small flowering variety like SG, Jade Serpent and Cupido would be good candidates as pollen donor. The problem is, most of my pollens are old, from last season. I don't know if they are still viable.

Cindeea...I would LOVE to have some pollen of that deep red. I will save them and use them with my new large flowering varieties when I plant them. May it have the same magic as the L&L pollens you sent me before. Thanks honey!

Jodic...Nice crosses you made there. Good Luck with Exotic Star. Everything I did with it failed.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Maria, the pollen has been in the freezer since this Sept. it should be good. I will send it to you m'dear. Anything else your lil heart desires? Some AV leaves, perhaps?

• mariava7
    16 years ago

Mwwwaaaa!!! Thanks girlfriend! Nope, no AVs this time of the year please. I'd just kill them. Anything? Are you for real? I would love you forever if you can get me a Grand Cru and a Sumatra. I'll send you a check for cost of bulbs and postage. :-)

Come to think of it. What else do you want from this side of VA? seeds? seedlings? bulblets?

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well... if Exotic Star is a failure, at least I can say I tried... "Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed."

Since this is my very first time pollinating anything, I'm not expecting much. If, by some stroke of luck, I get a seed pod or two, I'll be thrilled! And if, by the same stroke of luck, there are viable seeds in those pods, I'll be even more thrilled!! But, I expect nothing, thus avoiding major disappointment.

Hey, Cindee! Guess what I scored at Miejer's today? I got a white, I think it's white, Christmas Cactus!! I wanted to get more than one, but I wasn't buying, so I'm happy with the one! The buds are very light colored, so I'm assuming it's a white flowered one. None of the buds are open yet.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

OK I am taking a last order for WalMart. Those interested check out the post for Zombie.

• soultan
    16 years ago

Cindee,
    You could buy up all these cheap bulbs and sell them on Ebay, like that Illinois lady, who bought all the bulb from Jodi and now sells it online on ebay. The question is: where is she making profit on it if she sells for the same amount of money she bought them for, plus, she paid tax on these bulbs. Something is not clear for me there.

Oh, and Maria, I almost forgot:
    I planted a batch of seeds. NOW I can wait, though I am not too hopeful: low lights and cold temperatures... I bought a heat mat, so that might help. I just have to figure out where and how to use it... I cannot put it on the glass surface.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

She bought all the bulbs, and didn't leave any for other customers, like me, Soultan... and she bought them at a discounted price, and will sell them for more money than she paid... if she bought them for around $3 a piece, and begins the auctions at $9.99 plus shipping, she's making a nice, tidy profit.

All I wanted was one bulb... but she cleaned out all the stores in the area we went to that day... oh well...

• soultan
    16 years ago

She bought them for a discounted price? How come? But then yes, she is making money on them if she can sell them.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

How much longer does a girl have to wait????

San Remo at sunrise
    {{gwi:438182}}
    {{gwi:438184}}

• hopflower
    16 years ago

Ooooooh! jodik, can't wait for this one. You will be taking a piture of the full blossom, won't you? :)

• soultan
    16 years ago

Cindee,

You will be in love... The whole coloration of the bloom consists of tiny pink-cyclamen dots.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here are a few more shots... Exotic Star, Limona, and a really pink picture!

{{gwi:372585}}

{{gwi:438186}}

{{gwi:385363}}

Thanks for looking!

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Oh Jodi, soooo pretty! Love Exotic Star. I got the Sumatra because it reminds me of the same.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I wish the flowers lasted longer on Exotic Star, but I still like it... the colors are so unusual! It's very much a decendant of Papillio... at least, I think it is...

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Yeah my exotic star blooms were short lived too, still I enjoyed them very much.

• soultan
    16 years ago

I simply love your Limona picture. Is it so green in real life too?

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Limona is creamy green with the tiniest hint of pink tips on the petals... it's beautiful! I will try to post a picture later today, of the fully opened flower!

This one, I like a lot!

• soultan
    16 years ago

Jodi,

That is the Limona I am wishing to get... I don't like the orange veiny Limona. That is fake... That is what I got last year, and that is why I had to rebuy the bulb this year. I hope I will be lucky now.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This is very faintly veined, but it looks more pinkish to me than orange... it is so very faintly veined, that I only notice it if the bloom is backlit... although, I don't know how it would behave in different light conditions... I really like it!

• soultan
    16 years ago

I will definitely take a look at your picture when you post it. It is advertised as clear greenish colored, so I expect that.

Sponsored
More Discussions