SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amccour

Weird cactus rot.

amccour
13 years ago

One of my cacti rotted out on me over the three-week winter vacation in which I was away from my apartment. This strikes me as sort of odd for a couple of reasons:

- It's in a light and well-drained potting mix inside of an unglazed ceramic pot.

- I hadn't watered that recently anyway.

- My apartment got down to maybe 68F while I was away which is hardly cold.

One possible culprit I could suspect is mealies, as it DID have a bit of a mealy infestation. However, I had, to the best of my knowledge, taken care of that, and there wasn't much in the way of prominent damage. Or any visible damage, really. And I still don't see any remaining mealies on it at all.

However, looking back, I remembered that that cactus was always sort of deflated on one side ever since I got it back in May. Never really concerned me because it never felt soft and it didn't LOOK like rot, so I just assumed it was some kind of weird corking. However, that's the exact same spot that suddenly rotted out on me.

So is it possible that this thing's had a fungal infestation for the better part of a year and it just took that long to really go critical..? Or is it possible that the insecticidal soap I was using against the mealies set something off?

Comments (3)