SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pagrdnr

Have You Ordered any seeds/brugs Yet?

pagrdnr
16 years ago

Hi Everyone.

So what else will you be growing this season? I have been gettings seed catalogs and plant catalogs for a few weeks and placed some orders yesterday. Lets hear what you are growing...this is including but not limited to brugs.

I ordered some sanguinea seeds and the book Brugmansia and Datura Angels Trumpets and Thorn Apples. Also some Nautilus Vine seeds, Dwarf sunflower choco sun, petunia fragolino, profusion dbl cherry zinnia, and a plant of Ecinacea Coconut Lime.

And finally the brugs: I ordered a Miner's Claim and an Inca Sun (Which won't ship until May)

Comments (42)

• gramsharon
    16 years ago

And, I wonder if there are some favorite companies for ordering vs. don't even think about it? I know I toss a few of the catalogs from some companies as soon as they come because of unpleasant experiences.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I've ordered some brug seeds and friends have also shared theirs with me. I've already started a few varieties. I've ordered loads of other seeds, mainly exotics and I just placed an order for some seeds native to Australia and Africa. I love to grow plants from seed even though it can be years before they are mature. I have a few favorite vendors, most of them don't print catalogs but I love looking at the catalogs that come in the mail. I think the only favorites that print catalogs are Chiltern & JL Hudson. I love Summer Hill Seeds, Rare Exotic Seeds, Garden Store n More, Dianes, Lonnie's Bulk Seeds, Trade Winds Fruit and Country Garden & Seed Sprout for brug seeds. There's others that I can't think of offhand and a few Ebay sellers as well.
    Karyn

• Related Discussions

Have you started any seeds yet?

Q

Comments (30)
    I have started a whole lot of things the past couple weeks and am currently sowing trays of tomatoes. Leeks, green onions, broccoli and some lettuces have already sprouted and have been left on the enclosed (but chilly) back porch in grow racks to get as much light as possible - these specimens can take some cold. Eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, and certain herbs are out there during the day (not sprouted yet) when the sun makes that porch warm, but in again at night. It can be a challenge getting enough light to all the new plants as they come charging through the seedstarting mix - let's hope the weather is favorable this Spring with lots of sunshine!
    ...See More

Are you starting any autumn seeds yet?

Q

Comments (21)
    Those pics are from early summer. It solves the "cheap but ugly and takes up a lot of room" wire bin problem. There is a shallow layer of dirt and loop of dripper tube inside the bin. The tomatoes (five plants) turned into a jungle! About a month ago I whacked them back, pulled out the White Currant and left some stubs of Matt's Wild Cherry. It's growing back, has blossoms and is ready to repeat the performance. I made a new heap that has summer squash and a tomato from India growing in it (I'll be saving seeds). Next year I'll have a couple of new bins filled and ready to go really early - the slight heat of the compost that activates when the bin gets wet should protect against frost.
    ...See More

Have any of you planted out yet?

Q

Comments (23)
    Ciao all- Yes, it's raining and that's kind of a buzz kill as far as getting the yardwork done, but we're compensating now for such a dry April and that's a good thing. I've been hardening off some very early tomatoes for a few weeks now and just bringing them into the garage when temps fall below 4C or so or the winds are high. All of the main crop tomatoes are still downstairs. I probably won't start bringing them out until Friday. Peppers, eggplants, and basil won't get planted until the first week of June. Outside, I have Red Russian, Curled Blue Vates, and Dinosaur Kales, American Flag Leeks, Giant Red Mustard, Ruby Pac Choi, Tatsoi, Rainbow Chard, French Shallots, Long Island Improved Brussels Sprouts, Chioggia and Golden Beets, Rainbow Carrots, Daikon and Spanish Black Radishes, Sea of Red, Bronze Arrow, and Forellenschluss Lettuces, Arugula, Super Sugar Snap, Capujiner Blue, Golden, and Oregon Snow Peas. All of these early veggies except the peas have either been harvested or will be very shortly. I've also got tons of herbs and some over-wintered white onions that we've been adding to salads. I'm behind on sowing my flowers, though. Today's a good day to get that going.
    ...See More

Have you started ordering plants yet?

Q

Comments (27)
    @ Paphia I'm in Omaha NE. It's still brisk here, but the shipments of Hoyas look no worse for wear for it. Of course I wouldn't want to leave them sitting outside on the doorstep or anything... ;) @ Denise I know. I did shake in my boots a little when I placed the orders, thinking I might not be so lucky again this year. But the trend is holding so far. I don't know what's up with your luck. It's like they are running a campaign to drive you crazy. My package from Joni did show up super smooshed, which was unprecedented. Clearly they set something super heavy on top of it. Luckily the plants were packed well enough that they were undamaged inside. Do your cuttings look like they will pull through okay? And yep, I'm dreading the walk home right now...! Update on the cuttings: Well, I think I am going to lose maybe... 1/4 of the Aleya plants I ordered. That said, they were delicate species, and the prices are a steal so you can afford some risk. The Epiphytica plants still look outstanding. Just so hearty and bushy and in tip top condition. And Jack is so nice to work with. I just got an unsolicited email from him, checking in on how the elliptica was doing. Honestly, I always go through so little stress and frustration with orders from him. And of course Joni's pretty cuttings all rooted successfully, but that's easy peasy!
    ...See More
  • pagrdnr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sharon,
    I ordered seeds from Parkseed and Thompson & Morgan. I ordered from them before and had good results. The plants are from Territorail Seed Co. and Select Seed. I never ordered form these before but checked them out on garden watch dog. It is a good place to check reviews before ordering. There are a few things in the burpee catalog that caught my eye but their prices are way too high in my opinion. I will wait and see if the big box stores get the burpee seeds I want and if not I will do without.

• vaskirt
    16 years ago

Pagrdnr, I bought that book a while back, and have really enjoyed it. Thanks to "the queen of seeds..Karyn", I don't need to order any !! I have the Aborea soaking now. I am waiting to start some of the others. Some that had to be winter sown, I think I might try to do in a day or two.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

You might also want to check out Value Seeds. Everything is under $1.99 and most are under $1.00. S&H is only $1.99. I've been told that they are a part of T&M and sell their overstock. I don't think I've ever seen brugs but they have loads of nice varieties. I buy from them every season and have been quite satisfied.
    Karyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Value Seeds

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

Hey Karyn: Great link to Value Seeds. I've just ordered $15.00 worth of seeds and I am novice at growing from seed!!! (my first year!) Have to buy some more seed trays. Any suggestions on what sort of "seed pots" I should buy to put in the seed tray? I've already got 2 heated seed mats anything else I need to start seeds? Other than Good Luck? lol. Happy to hear advice and suggestions from All You Experienced Seeders. TIA G.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I would just get plug trays or cell packs if you are going to set them in trays. Have fun. Make sure you keep a fan going near your seeds to keep the air circulating.
    Karyn

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

Okay. Bought two 72 cell covered seed trays and bought these "flat" plugs that expand with warm water (not jiffy pots ... but similar) They were the only ones OSH had. Bought a light, moisture, PH meter, too, as well as plant labels. Also, they had the BIG bottle of Super Thrive! So I'll follow Karyn's example and do a 24 hr soak in ST water for my Datura seeds. BTW how do you know if you have to soak seeds, or scratch them, or refrig them? Someone HOLD MY HAND, please. I'm sooo nervous. Don't want to kill the seeds. Boggles my mind when I look at these little dried pellets and know there is such a life force within! g.

• karmahappytoes
    16 years ago

Well I'm all done!! Got the last of the seeds in dirt and the rest of the Datura seeds will be planted direct in the spring. Hanging my head here if all the seeds sprout we will have close to 1,000 Daturas and 250 Brugmansia that are the most important. We have many other seeds that area started but not as important, right?

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Oh Gloria - I'm so excited for you.

I'm gonna go get some of those also. They worked WONDERFULLY last year for my funky tomatos. Everyone was just confused when I grew tasty "evergreen" tomatoes - and black from tulas, and black pearls, white snackers, etc.

They just kept looking at me like "where are the red ones?" LOL. . . They asked me this year to pleeeeeeezzzzuh grow some regular red tomatoes. (grin)

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Gloria I soak almost all seeds that are big enough to pick up. Hard round seeds like morning glories can be helped along if you nick them before you soak them. I use an infant nail clipper for nicking seeds. Get a fan so you have air circulation. Damping off will be your biggest worry. Good air circulation helps keep fungal problems down. Many of the hardy perennials need a period of cold stratification. Make sure you remove the tray covers as soon as your seeds sprout. Water from the bottom and don't let the soil get soggy. Have fun and good luck.

Dweeb I think the heirloom "ugly" tomatoes taste so much better then the big red ones, besides that they are so cool looking.

Karma ya want to come over and get my seeds planted? I just got my shipment of Australian native seeds and have loads of other exotics to start as well as bunches of brugs and dats. I have started some brugs as well as some others already. I so wish it was spring. I'm glad that I can plant stuff inside and in the greenhouse but it's just not the same as working in the yard.

Karyn

• honeybunny2 Fox
    16 years ago

I went to Wal-Mart and they had 4 hugh displays of seeds. Less than a $1 each. I got stocks, and hollyhocks. It's 72 degrees outside, and sunny, it is a beautiful day. I cleaned out my flowerbeds, planted my seeds, and divided all my aztec grass. Spring I am ready. Barbra,

• gottahosta
    16 years ago

Thanks, everyone for all the places to go and get seeds! And for on how to grow them, too!!!

Does anyone know where I can get more obscure herb seeds?

I'm specifically looking for ruta, epazote, yerba buena (mint), and other Latino herbs. Karyn??????????

Brenda

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

Karyn: How do I keep the air circulating with the dome in place? Or is that for when they begin to sprout and I remove the dome? Told ya, I'm so needy!!!
    KHT: Yikes! I can't even imagine what 1,000 Dat and 250 Brug seedlings would look like! If I'm this nervous about my little project I'd probably have a Nervous breakdown with yours! LOL!
    Thanks for all the help. I'm sure these won't be my last questions .. (grin) g.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Brenda I might have some more epazote, I'll take a look. You should check out Sand Mountain Herbs. They have a good selection of relatively common and uncommon herb seeds.

Gloria use the fan once you take the domes off. You should remove the domes as soon as the seeds begin to sprout.
    Karyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Sand Mountain Herbs

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Holy smokes - I don't have time to now search all these kewel places!

Definately going to look into those.

Karyn - I love growing the funky heirlooms. I just get these strange looks. Black tomatoes - the black pearls taste soooooooo good. The white snackers - no one could get past the little tomato being white and tasting red. They were fun and colorful in a salad though.

The tastey ever greens were the funniest - watching faces as they tasted them.

Hey Gloria - can you yell if you find some of that low growing thyme? I'm going to use that down on the ground between some stepping stones. (Don't laugh - it's supposed to be really hardy and smells wonderful when you step on it.)

Yea - I know - strange. I was trying figure out how to buy bulk chive seeds and sprinkle the seeds in my lawn. (It grows so green and thick and loves the sun!)

LOL - just think how good it would smell when they mowed!

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Egyptian walking onions. Now THOSE things are the neatest things. It's like a green onion on steroids.

You've got to eat the stem early though because if you let it get over 1" in diameter - it becomes unchewable. But boy are they hardy and delicious. (Don't eat the bulb - you eat the green.)

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

Great idea on the Thyme, Annette. Will be on the lookout for it. There is one called Woolly Thyme that is hardy for mild traffic areas. See what I find. Don't know where bulk seeds are sold here ... esp. Chives, but if you mix Chive seeds with Garlic Chive seeds your mowed lawn will smell good enough to eat! Just an idea! G.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Dweeb I have a bunch of those walking onion bulbs to plant this season. I didn't realize that you didn't eat the onion part. Glad I read this. How easily do they spread?
    Karyn

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

Why don't you eat the little onion on top? The bulb in the ground will just keep on growing. The little top onion and its young green shoots are good additions to mashed potatoes! G.

• karmahappytoes
    16 years ago

karyn1, I can have that greenhouse full in no time! LOL

Anyone growing those variegated tomatoes??

• karyn1
    16 years ago

KHT my problem is it's already full and I haven't moved nearly enough stuff in! A nice thing is the height so I keep ordering the stackable benches and building up. lol I'm waiting on another set to arrive so I can move some more plants in. I also have to attach chains to some of my containers so that I can hang them. I want to make the most the of space without making it too crowded.

I had a few varieties of striped tomatoes, yellow/green and red/green as well as some solid obscure varieties. I wasn't planning on growing any this year. If I have any seed left I'll send it to you.
    Karyn

• gottahosta
    16 years ago

I grow a striped tomato called Mr Stripey- how original is that??? Also, one called Pineapple, also striped- exquisite flavor and unbelievably tender and juicy!! Yum, I could sink my teeth into one right about now!

Brenda

Karyn, I emailed you back! Thanks!

• pagrdnr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Forgot to mention I also ordered Hollyhock Queeny Purple and Zowie Zinnia. My T&M order arrived today with the Brugmansia and Datura book. Wow I love all the pictures and can't wait to read it and I might try doing some crosses this summer. Brenda I oredered a pack of those Pineapple Tomato seeds last yr to plant this year, glad to hear they're good. I don't actually eat tomatoes but enjoy growing them for my family, lol.

Karyn, I saw posts from you on other forums about the phaseolus vine. Do you have any tips on starting the seeds and when should I start them?

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I just soaked the seeds overnight in water. I didn't bother nicking the seed coat. I planted them about 1/4 inch below the soil and kept them warm and moist. They sprout in about a week. They can't take cold temps. Mine are container grown and come inside over the winter. They don't bloom well until the second year, at least for me so I wouldn't try growing them as an annual.
    Karyn

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Karyn:

You can eat the top like Gloria said - I usually plant the top. They spread VERY easily and they are perennials! YEEHA!

They grow - and fall over - the bulb on the top sprouts and grows. I found the bulb on the top to be firey - but the green stalk is like a green onion on steroids. The bulb in the ground is really mellow, mild. Almost a non-event. Besides, that's the part the comes back for you each year.

My dad accidentally pulled the bulb on his - I had to explain - you eat the green part. (grin) He wanted to try the bulb - and when he did - he said you're right, that's not the good part.

LOL

And I'm so thrilled they're perennials here in Illinois. I haven't had to replant them.

someone said they thought they were once called "Chicago Onions" but I don't know. . . .

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Gottahosta:

I had such a good time growing those heirlooms.

I had German pinks, Black from Tula, tasty everygreens, black pearls, white snackers, Yugslavian Reds, and some other ones. Can't remember now.

I had NO idea the germination rate was so high for some of them. LOL This year, I'll make sure I spread them a little more so I'm not struggling to save little baby plants. I thought they tasted wonderful! Everyone else did too, but everyone had issues with "green" tomatoes tasting red and the dark, dark purple (black) appearance of some of the flesh. The white ones blew them away. Ha!

LOL

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

ANNETTE: Yeow! Right, the little dickens on top is sharp tasting. One goes a long way. I think another name for these "walkers" is Egyptian Onion.
    BRENDA: I lost Mr. Stripey last year!!! The heat was just too much for him, and he couldn't cope. ( OMG. Think I dated a guy like that once!! lol) Just bought another plant. Anything special you can tell me about growing it?
    TIA Gloria

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

Annette: Sorry to repeat what you already know and posted (Egyptian Onions) Duh. Was reading too fast and brain was not engaged!
    Brenda: Territorial Seed Company in Oregon seems to have a vast assortment of herbs in their catalog. Worth a try. Gloria

• daniellalell
    16 years ago

Hi all...seems like forever since I have been on here..too dang busy!
    I have alot of seeds going..too many i think, lol. I don't have much space inside..and yet I keep starting more seeds and expanding my set up. Just expanded again today, poor puppy's crate got moved into the living room lol..so I have a lil more room, and I am going to start some more dat seeds tomorrow among other things. Out of all the dats I have sown already only 2 tatulas have come up. I'm hoping they are just late poppers.
    I am trying eggplant for the first time this year..gonna start them in a couple weeks. Also some watermelon and tomatoes, but I don't know what kind they are. Thinking of doing cucumbers also.
    Too many flower seeds going to even start naming. I'm not going to attempt brugs from seed till this summer, (hopefully I'll have some money by then, lol) then I'll keep em goin indoors over winter. I need more room in this house!!

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

LOl Daniella:

Glad to see ya here! Yep - I'm gonna have to add another rack - I'm running out of space. And some of the Brugs need to be upped to another pot from the cups - so I'm definately out of space.

Can't wait for spring. Seems so far away with wind chills of -25 today

• daniellalell
    16 years ago

they must be growing fast Annette! How do I know when to up them from cups to pots? I have some I started in pots and others the plastic cups. I like the cups better cuz I can actually SEE the roots. But I don't know when to up them to pots? How many roots are enough? Should I wait till it's a massive amount? Mine don't seem to have a massive amount yet. I had figured I'd wait till I could see them through the slits at the bottoms of the cups, but that hasn't happened yet...can just see them through the sides. I don't like the pots, not being able to see the roots.
    I am tempted to go to the dollar store and buy a butt-load of plasticware and turn them into pots so I can see the roots, lol. But, then again there is lack of fundage for that venture, lol.
    OMG Annette, I could never survive that weather. Jersey is too cold for me as it is. If it's lower than 60 I am pretty much hibernating.
    Keep warm!!!!

• chena
    16 years ago

Fortunately Karyn has done most of my shopping as well..LOL. Thanks for all the seeds...I have gotten some veggie seeds.. we try to grow all of our own produce.. I love growing herbs also.. here is a link with just about everything you could want..and they are organic seed.. which I like..

Here is a link that might be useful: Horizon Herbs

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Oh No! Why did you post that site! lol Looks like they have some really interesting seeds.
    Karyn

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Daniella - I'm trying to follow the advice - keep them root bound. I don't want to up them to pots.

But some are in those clear cups - and a couple are almost all roots - they wilt if they're not given water every two days. (at 72-75 degrees) - to me - that's telling me - oh ohhhhhhhh - need more pot room.

Here's one for you gurus out there. Soem are in dark green tumbler cups, and others int he cheaper clearish cups. Not that I haven't lost some in the clear ones - but the roots - and those in the "clearish" cups - seem to be doing better. Does that have something to do with the roots receiving some light? It's just something I'm noticing.

Is it just a coincidence? There are those int he green cups doing ok - but right now - as they're trying to get going - it seems the "clearish" cups - those are doing better.

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

Annette: Years ago on one of those "Garden" shows, gardeners were warned NOT to use GREEN plastic pots ... small as well as those xxGal. sized. Something in the plastic compound not good for plant growth. I plant all my Brug cuttings (rooted and non-) in those 32 ounce clear plastic cups. I get them real cheap at the rest. supply stores. I like them because:1) Being all the same size, I can fit the cups on shelves or in my Raccoon-proof boxes, better than assorted sizes. 2) I can watch the root progress. 3) I can leave them in the cups to root bound until ready to transplant. 4) I use the cups to water root the difficult cuttings and when ready to plant, I burn a hole in the bottom of the cup and plant. I Like getting twice the use out of these cups! Gloria

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Gloria I've never heard that and have been using mostly green nursery pots for at least 10 years with no problem. The majority of the 4 and 6" stuff at the farm is in green plastic pots.
    Karyn

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

Karyn: Lots of people and places do indeed use green plastic pots. Don't know the rationale behind this idea, but do know I've had better and faster results using black plastic pots instead of the green ones! I think professional growers can use anythng becuase of expertise, and growing methods that are maybe not conducive to home gardening!! ;0( Again, have no good reason other than than what I read. I believe it was Thalassa Carouso (sp) and I can't recall the name of her book. It was in the late 70s. Gloria

• karyn1
    16 years ago

One reason that you might be doing better with black plastic is that it retains more heat. I use black plastic nursery pots for plumies.
    Karyn

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

Sounds logical! I think I will start putting the plumies in black plastic pots, too. Right now they are looking terrible! Have turned them all on their sides so they don't drown in this rain we've been having! Some of the newer growth had already been knocked off by my "clumsy" (don't tell her) cat! So no leaves, just stalks. Found 4 on clearance at Walmart for $5 each. They are nice and big and firm ... no branches. But I'm sure they will start growing as soon as our weather dries and warms! Gloria

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Gloria, I never got your address. Email me with it.

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Hmmmmmm - the green tumblers are the green on the outside - white inside. They're not clearish.

I just thought it odd that some in clearish cups were doing better than those in the opaque cups.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES