SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lantanascape

Have you started any seeds yet?

lantanascape
13 years ago

Who's starting seeds already? I'm sure folks in the southern states already have tomatoes and everything started, for which I'm just a little bit jealous.

I have a ton of seed, some of it from '09/10, though I did a fairly big order from Pinetree of everything I'd need for this year. That old seed keeps tempting me into starting more than I can handle. It will be our second year in our house, and I basically need to start from scratch with teh garden. Last year was a total flop with the basic toms, peppers and squash I put in. Hopefully I'm not starting more than I can make beds for by planting-out time! Luckily, I bought a little tiller, and will have that mechanized help for the first time ever. I will need it to handle the 12-yard pile of composted manure that is out there waiting for me to till it into the beds.

This week I started broccoli, lettuces and other salad greens, collards, cabbage, kale and Swiss chard. In about three weeks it will be time to start the tomatoes and peppers, and seed out the root veggies. After getting no garden veggies at all last year, I am salivating at just the idea of home-grown kale and lettuce, much less vine-ripened heirloom tomatoes.

How are everyone else's spring garden preparations coming?

Comments (30)