SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeep461

New Comers

jeep461
16 years ago

I just bought some Country Garden Brugs to cross on "spot" I like that name. Those of you a little older will like "spot" LOL We had to read about Dick, Jane and Spot in the 1st and 2nd grade. I liked spot.

MISS EMILY MACKENZIE

Temple Goddess

Autumn Treasure

Velvet Rose

Serendipity

Comments (35)

• lovelyiris
    16 years ago

Hey I'm jumping in line to get some cuttings when you get them going. LOL
    Marian

• plantlover49
    16 years ago

Hey,Jim good to see your.post.tell me something please? how do you cross? do you mix pollen I have only been growing brugs for about 4 years. I have learned to braid & root them. after many failures of trying.I would like to learn more.I bet you have been at this many years, from the look of your nice brugs.do you have any buds. I am happy to report I have one in my basement.Have to take a photo Thanks plantlover49

• Related Discussions

hedge suggestion for new comer

Q

Comments (2)
    hi, i'm just learning about bamboos myself. i recently planted both a runner and a clumper on my property. if you're interested in creating a hedge with your runner, i'm not sure if you should be using a rhizome barrier - as this will prevent the new shoots from spreading underground. in order to create a hedge effect wouldn't you want your bamboo to spread? ~bobby
    ...See More

New comers Photos

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi Clancy I apriciate your kind offer and i may take you up on that ,i will see how i go for time as the Bromeliad project is becoming quite large ,have around 100000 seedlings in all sizes to take care of , as well as adult plants , but the Hippies are just so lovely ,i noticed that in my white and pink crosses you would always get a quantity that germinated with white or pink leaves ,the grow normal green leaves but these always gave the better coloured flowers , i will post some other piccies but they are downloaded from colour prints so they are not great or clear but will still give a idea ,most are on 35 mm slides and that makes it a tad difficult ,but will try .when using Papilio ,its always best to use it for a pollen parent , much better results in colour and pattern , Jack
    ...See More

A couple new comers

Q

Comments (6)
    Hi Mike, good to here from you. These conifers came in this week from the nursery I buy most of my conifers from. I did not special order these but I do occasionally special order certain conifers I want to compliment my garden. The buyer for this nursery a conifer collector also and I got to be friends with him when I worked part time their to pay for my conifer addiction. I don't know where there is a nursery that compares with this one in a 400 mile radius of KC. Many rare and unusual conifers for sale. The Pinus p. 'Hagaromo' is a very slow grower and fits into small restricted areas well. I am always looking for those hard to find offerings and the 'Blue Tear Drop' is one that a true collector never passes up. It speaks for itself. In Kansas City it was 68F. yesterday and 63F. today. I have moved out of the dreary confines of this house into the outdoors. Hopefully Mike you won't be far behind. Things look like they have wintered over well and I plan to do some serious butt kicking in the garden this year. Had all winter to think about it. Going to be fun. Dave
    ...See More

New Comer Here - Great Forum

Q

Comments (1)
    Herb, I'm guessing that most people here use or decorate their gourds so that's why you haven't had any replies. Sorry.
    ...See More
  • jeep461
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am a newby, I have been at this a little over a year. MEM MISS EMILY MACKENZIE I have been after a while. Still hunting MM Mountain magic. If you can paint you can cross. Much easier than raising all parents.

• chena
    16 years ago

Best of luck Jim.. You bought some beauties.. MEM is one that I lost.. I hope to find one come spring...
    Kylie

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Plant lover you can order pollen and when your flower begins to open you paint it on the stamen with a clean paintbrush then mark it with a tag with the name of the the pollen parent and tie it shut so that no other natural pollenators such as bees puts in more pollen from a nearby blooming one. Then you hope for a pod. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

• daniellalell
    16 years ago

O I can't wait to try that!! hehe!! what do you mean tie it shut Kristy? Like, close up the open end of the flower? with what?
    I was thinking more long the lines of maybe bagging it with cheesecloth? That's just how I assumed it would be done, and had planned on trying it.

Jim, nice ones ya got there! I am working on getting the 'Autumn Treasure' along with the 'Amber Rose'. My girls' names, Amber & Autumn Rose, so I HAVE to have them!!
    They will def be my first purchases come this spring.
    Good luck, I know you'll keep us posted!
    BTW, I remember learning to read with those books in first grade. They were good books to learn to read with. It's a shame they don't use them anymore. I think the books they use for beginner readers in the schools now are too hard for the lil ones. hmmm..Now I am thinking maybe should go on ebay and track some down for my 4 yr old.
    thanks for the idea!
    Daniella

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

F4F - BGI - taking pollen off the anthers of the first flower and applying it to the stigma of the second flower.

I thought I recall someone saying you remove the anthers of the flower you're pollinating also. . .I just can't remember though.

What's a pistal?

Sheesh. That's so far past me - what these guys do - I wouldn't know and anther from a stamin from a stigma.

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

I may have the anatomy parts messed up. Pistol and stamen I think. I haven't gotten that far yet. I got pollen because I only have one blooming size plant but it was too late by the time I got it all the flowers were open. I was told to tie the bloom shut with twine. This is meant to be very basic instructions. You need to read one of the other website for details. If you have both plants blooming that you want to cross then you don't need to get pollen from someplace else obviously.

• jeep461
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yall just tickle that long thing with some of that dust with a paint brush. Then close the door.

Pretty easy, I guess you might want to remove the anthers and wait a day if you were afraid of the pollen contaminating your pollen brush. What my concern is a way to store your brush without loosing all the pollen. I am going to try a micro tube and freeze or a smaller brush.

• pagrdnr
    16 years ago

Wow those are some nice brugs Jim. I was also thinking about getting MEM and Temple Goddess but will have to wait a while as it is way too cold to ship antything here. Plus I am going to be placing orders from several companies for seeds and I am ordering 2 brugs to ship in the spring: Miner's Claim and Inca Sun, so that will be enough $ spent for a while. Has anyone here grown Miss Emily Mackenzie and experiences 20" blooms?

• rigo74
    16 years ago

When will the maadness stop!!!
    First the cutting's, then the seed's( which I started a week ago). Now cross pollen Brug's.I guess once your hooked on Brug's their is no stopping.LOL
    Reading all the post on how to cross pollen brugs. Reminds me of Dr. Frankenstien(Evil Grin)Reading this book by Dean Koontz(Frankenstein)(Evil Laugh!HAHAHAHAHAHAHA)kind of like cross pollen a brug to see what you bring to life....
    Rigo74

• gottahosta
    16 years ago

Jim

I received 4 pollens from the BGI pollen bank (I also received 5 packets of brugs seeds and one pkt. of datura) and what I'm told is that the pollen is dried thoroughly and stored in these small (carefully labeled with name and year) plastic vials with a hinged lid that snaps shut. Collectors just harvest the whole anther. I have counted 4-5 anthers in each vial. I am keeping the pollen frozen until next summer/fall, when I will use it. My understanding is that brugs don't pollenate themselves- is this true or not?

You can "order" pollen and seeds every 3 months from the seed and pollen banks as a member of BGI, and there are some excellent discussions on hybridizing on their forums.
    They had Vixen pollen when I ordered mine.

Some members are getting pollen from eBay!

Brenda

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

I forgot about why you remove the anthers from the mother plant. It is for not contaminating the pollen you are introducing I believe. Still have a lot to learn myself, lol.

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

LOL F4f

I can't remember either - but then again - I'm not going to try to hybridize. That's too far past me.

And my luck - I'm such a dufus when it comes to this, I'd come up with a purple and have no way to tell anyone how to do it. (grin)

Yea, well, I took pollen from this one, then ran to take a phone call, forgot which brush I was using, might have been a morning glory, then used this brush and pollinated that brug, then used the same brush and pollinated this, then went and got a sandwich, it was bologna, think that matters? And then . . . . . (sarcastic grin)

I'm gonna let people who know what they're doing handle the crossing and hybridizing. I just like the flowers. LOL

Did you know arboreas are self pollinating? Think I read that on BGI the other day. . . .

• jeep461
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Arboreas- hmmmmmmmmmmm, sounds like I need one I love fuzzy plants. Bugs do not like them either. Anyone know where to buy them?

Now on those anthers I did a little reading. Their removal as far as I can tell is only to use or store the pollen. I did see where many of the people hybridizing cut slits and pollentate before the flower opens and some do remove the antheres green and it will fluff in a day on paper for collection. Saves closing the flower and gives I guess close to 100% accuracy.

Sorry I am a tinkerer. If it works just fine I will try to make it better. I am careful as I grow older so I am cautious in my tinkering.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pollentating movie

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Lol, Dweeb if you get a purple brug I don't care how you did it just send me a cutting and a bologna sandwich, lol. Jim I can't watch that here at work. Will check it out at home tonight. I must not have the right player on this computer.

• jeep461
    Original Author
    16 years ago

arboreas perked my interest and they were fuzzy. Smaller flowers last better here cause it is very windy most of the year. Thanks

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Neat little video Jim, thanks.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Brenda how long does brug pollen last and does it need to be kept in a sub zero or will a regular freezer do? I already have some P. alata pollen stored. Why not add some brug pollen as well. I already have a fridge in the garage that I use to store my seeds. I wonder what DH would do if I said that I need a freezer for pollen? lol
    Karyn

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

SJN told me its good for a year. I have mine in the regular freezer. Hope hubby doesn't try to eat it, lol.

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

LOL F4F

"Honey, this spice doesn't really add anything for flavor. As a matter of fact, I'm not feeling too well. . ."

LABEL it! (grin)

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Its labeled, lol. If someone else looked in there they might wonder about those little vials and think I was hiding drugs. What a dissapointment to a burglar looking for a buzz, lol.

• karmahappytoes
    16 years ago

You guys just make me laugh to find out I'm not the only one that has 'angel dust' in my freezer!! I have been asked to get the hybridier information up on the site but I have been so stress on the fence deal. Give me a couple days and I'll get this up and we can start hybriding here!!
    I don't recommend using a paint brush, sorry a lot can go wrong. No mixing of the pollen and yes this can be stored for I believe 5 years. If my memory serves me the B. arboreas are the only one that is self pollinating.

• jeep461
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lions, Tigers and Bears. Some really nice new comers they were welcome to a nice warm home after their long cold ride from Florida. All I can say is I am impressed.

3 are fuzzy.
    {{gwi:453140}}

MISS EMILY MACKENZIE

Temple Goddess

Autumn Treasure

Velvet Rose

Serendipity

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Wooooooooowwwwwww

Oh man are you going to have some real beauties this spring!

• davidwv
    16 years ago

Hi Jim,

You got some really good brug cultivars there. I have heard a lot of very good things about MISS EMILY MACKENZIE.

I would like to give you some information on Autumn Treasure. This cultivar is one that I hybridized a few years ago. It is a pretty good brug. It is a vigorous grower, has large waxy blooms, that can last several days in the right conditions. The fragrance is a nice citrus.

There is one negative attribute to this brug though. And that is, the corolla (bloom) does not open up fully like the vast majority of brugs do. But those who have grown this brug for me did not mind that at all.

Below is a comparision picture of the color of the summer blooms versus the color of the fall blooms. But remember, the bloom color of any brug can be affected by many things. Such as temperatures, fertilizers, time of year, the ph and hardness of the water, etc., etc.

I am sure you will enjoy it though.

{{gwi:453143}}

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

That's a beautiful bloom. How interesting the variations in the colors.

• karmahappytoes
    16 years ago

davidwv, great to see you!! Nice colors and to see the differences that late is cool.

• davidwv
    16 years ago

Hey Karma, I am still alive!! LOL!!!

I just don't visit any of the forums that much anymore.

Is it not amazing the difference in the blooms colors from summer to fall? That is the reason that my wife and I chose the name Autumn Treasure, because the blooms turn that wonderful deep orange in the fall.

I have two more brugs from the same seed pod that Autumn Treasure came from that will be released later on this year, should everything go as expected.

One of them is an absolutely bright, clear yellow. If it holds true to color it will be released sometime in the late summer or early fall. When I have the time I will start a new thread with photos of my expected new releases for this year.

• jeep461
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Dave, I have been after Emily for a while. It is cool that Autumn Treasure was one of yours. It is always nice to see something you have started grow. I am not a real picky brug person they just need to handle the heat and bloom.

I love the color changes with the time of the year. I appreciate the pictures and keep us informed on your releases it is always nice to see what is coming up.

Thanks,

Jim

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

YaYaYa, JIM JEEP! That Autumn Treasure is a beaut. I think you are my best Friend (heh, heh, heh) and friends share cuttings, no? (more ... hehs!) Just kidding (maybe)Good luck with those Brugs. An impressive list. Keep us posted on your progress.
    DAVID WV: Congrats on one lovely looking Brug. Can't wait to see the others you will post. Thanks for the beauty on such a rainy day!
    Gloria

• karmahappytoes
    16 years ago

Hey davidwv, it's great news on the updates!! I can't wait to hear about the others. It's just amazing the fall color she throws off, when we all know that we shouldn't relie on fall months colors?

I'm hanging here when time permits, this AM we are watching the coming and goings of the snow falling on the valley floor. This weather is so strange!

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Nice new plants Jim! I have a small cutting of Autumn treasure. It was one of my first and is growing very slowly. I'm sure it will do better when I can get it outside. I can't wait to see David's new releases also. I was so happy to get the autumn treasure and hope I get to see it bloom this year. No pests on it either.

• pagrdnr
    16 years ago

Wow those are some nice sized cuttings. I will definately place an order with them in the spring. Hope my 2 brugs I ordered from other companies look that good.

• chena
    16 years ago

Hey Dave!!! Nice to see ya around here.. I didn't know that AT was yours.... You did a geat job. I have one that should bloom for me this yr.. I look forward to seeing what your new addition has to offer.. How exciting,, Congrats!!!!
    Kylie

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths