SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ambbutterfly

Butterfly Bush dilemma

ambbutterfly
16 years ago

I have a few bushes here that I've been keeping deadheaded the last few years because I thought that would help them to get more blooms. Little did I know that my deadheading them was keeping them from becoming invasive if what someone told me is true. Someone recently emailed me saying that his yard is registered as a National Wildlife Federation yard or however he worded it. He had noticed my post on another forum where I said that I have been propagating some butterfly bushes to give away as gifts, and he doesn't think it's a good idea. He mentioned that the plants have been becoming invasive and asked that I not promote them as being a good plant to plant for the butterflies because their being planted would be bad for our native species. So now I don't know what to do. I had been planning on planting more of them in our backyard for the butterflies but am afraid that I won't be able to keep up with deadheading them. I live in PA, and I'm not really sure if it's a problem in my state or not with the butterfly bushes becoming invasive, but I don't want to add to the problem of the native species getting displaced if my planting the butterfly bushes could cause that.

Even if I wouldn't be able to deadhead all of my butterfly bushes and the seeds of them would drop to the ground, I don't think that they would be able to get very big with our mowing around them. I'm wondering, though, if the birds eat the seeds and they'd get distributed that way? I guess not every state has a problem with butterfly bushes getting out of hand, and I'm thinking that even if there isn't a problem with them being invasive in our state (I'm not sure either way), maybe they could become a problem in the future.

At first I was a little insulted when I got that email, thinking that guy really had the nerve emailing me and telling me not to plant butterfly bushes and not to promote them because I'd just be adding to the problem, but then after thinking about it awhile, I was wondering if I maybe am doing the wrong thing. What do you think?

Comments (18)

• bullthistle
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You might want to read this article then use your own judgment. In NC they don't live very long, five years has been my experience, and you are in PA so.

Sometimes "scientists" like to scare the "uniformed" to feel important.

Buddleia davidii, native to China, is a large shrub with colorful fragrant flowers that is
    cultivated as an ornamental garden plant in temperate regions of the world, and is often
    planted to attract wildlife, such as butterflies and hummingbirds, which readily sip nectar
    from flowers. B. davidii is known to spread from gardens and has become invasive in
    Europe, New Zealand, Australia, and parts of the United States (Binggeli 1998, PLANTS
    2002). B. davidii spreads in disturbed areas by numerous wind and water dispersed seeds
    from plants that can reach maturity in less than one year (Binggeli 1998). In invaded
    areas, such as New Zealand, B. davidii quickly colonizes riversides, facilitates
    succession, and has aggressive growth that out-competes colonization by native
    vegetation. Studies of B. davidii infestations in New Zealand have found that B. davidii
    is relatively short lived with the greatest infestation densities occurring in the first 10
    years (Smale 1990). By the time the stand is about 15 years old, densities of infestations
    lessen. As this happens, native tree species eventually become dominant again. Because
    of this, along with widespread distribution that gives high re-invasion potential, New
    Zealanders have taken a strategy of ongoing management focussing control in natural
    areas where new infestations are found. In cool regions of the United States, including
    states in the northeast and Pacific northwest, B. davidii is increasingly being recognized
    as a potential pest plant and is currently on several invasive plant watch lists (O'Neill
    1998). Though known to spread in several states, the full pest potential of B. davidii in
    natural areas of the United States is not yet known. In Hawai'i, B. davidii is commonly
    cultivated and has occasionally escaped from gardens in cool upland areas of Kaua'i and
    Maui (Shannon and Wagner 1996, Wagner et al. 1999, Starr et al. in press). The full
    invasive potential in Hawai'i is also not yet known, though from what has been gathered
    from known invaded ranges elsewhere, it is presumed that on Maui, this attractive shrub
    could potentially invade disturbed areas of mid elevation shrubland, roadsides, pastures,
    gulches, open areas, and perhaps some woodlands. Due to the plant's popularity in
    landscaping and widespread distribution on Maui, island wide eradication would take
    large amounts of resources. However, B. davidii will only become more widespread and
    costlier to control in the future. Perhaps the best strategy at this time for B. davidii on
    Maui would be similar to that of New Zealand, where B. davidii is discouraged in
    landscaping and detected and controlled in newly invaded natural areas as early as
    possible.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

• ambbutterfly
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bullthistle, Thank you for all of the information about the butterfly bush and also the link. Where did you find the information? I wondered just in case I decide to email that person back and he would ask where it came from. I'd like to have a reputable source since I guess it might be hard to argue with the National Wildlife Federation? I know I can't argue with them as little as I know about the plant. I just know that I like to have butterfly bushes in our yard because they attract tons of butterflies, but I just wish I knew if I'm doing a responsible thing for the environment by having them here. I still don't really know. I'm reconsidering planting the dozens here that I was going to plant someday because I know that I couldn't keep that many deadheaded.

• butterflyalley
    16 years ago

here is a link about alternatives to invasive plants,
    http://www.wildflower.org/alternatives/index.php
    I think , but can not remember if it was here,they list what states list species as invasive. In searching butterfly bush on the native plant index, it is not listed as invasive. They do not escape cultivation in this area, 8b, as far as I can tell because mine die after 3 or 4 years without reseeding.
    A note on the National Wildlife Federations backyard habitat certification, all they look for is if you are providing the requirements for supporting and sustaining wildlife, I have never seen mention of discouraging or encouraging specific plants. you can check out their site and get your own certification right now, more than likely.

• bullthistle
    16 years ago

http://www.hear.org/starr/hiplants/reports/pdf/buddleia_davidii.pdf. Sometimes the "experts" grasp at straws, like the the problem with honey bees and no one yet has the definite answer. Scare tactics always work with the wannabes to get noticed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

• tdr4
    16 years ago

I am in zone 9 and mine have not spread any. Most died. I only have one living.

• parrothead_fa
    16 years ago

Well, they certainly wont have to worry about it becoming invasive in south Florida. We're lucky here to have it reach 20" tall and be able to put out a few weak, pathetic stalks with blooms before the summer heat and humidity does it in.
    Dave

• Michelle Reynolds
    16 years ago

hello
    I have had butterfly bushes in my yard for over 7 years now I planted 4 and I still have 4, no babies popping up everywhere. and I don't always deadhead at the end of the season, I just let them die back. I think the envasive one is a wild type not the more cultivated hybreds.
    I will keep mine, the number of butterflies and hummers they feed is amazing.
    micyrey

• ambbutterfly
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to all of you for your comments. I've decided that I'm going to keep my butterfly bushes here and if that person has a problem with it, it's his problem. I don't like people telling me what to do to begin with and when it has something to do with butterflies, I get defensive. :) Mine also get tons of butterflies. The butterfly bushes, purple coneflowers, tithonia, V.bonariensis, and zinnias are the biggest draws here, and I really would hate to eliminate any of them without VERY good reason. So far I don't have any, so they will all stay!

• Fledgeling_
    16 years ago

Thats good, ambbutterfly. I said deadheading can prevent reseeding, but also said it was not a problem in your area to begin with. The seedlings would not be able to live with you mowing them, anyway. The guy who emailed you has some nerve and should know how things preform in the area in question! Water hyacinth is invasive, but as it does not survive the winter in my area (and there is no possible chance it can) I can enjoy this interesting plant. And my own butterfly bush.

• terrene
    16 years ago

Actually according to the USDA Plants database, Buddleja davidii has been classified as a noxious weed in 2 states, Washington and Oregon. There is also one note that states it has a tendency to be invasive or weedy. So it is definitely a problem in some areas of the US and obviously other parts of the world - maybe it has the potential to be a problem in other places?

That said, I have a couple Butterfly Bushes, but I live in a zone 5 location and they are borderline hardy here. A neighbor and someone at the nursery both told me that many people lose their Butterfly bushes during a harsh winter around here.

I deadhead them regularly and use mulch. I have never seen one seedling. However, if they started to spread into the fields across the street, I would have to think about yanking them. I take the issue of invasive plants pretty seriously.

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA Plants profile - Buddleja davidii

• dizzy45
    16 years ago

Keep your bushes!! I live in a zone 5 have 5 bushes they have never been invasive and I have never deadheaded them please don't anyone yell at me LOL but they still bloom every year so I guess mine like the way I do things.

Carol

• butterflymomok
    16 years ago

I have been reading this thread with interest as I am a Butterfly bush collector. I have one volunteer BF bush that came with me when I moved some plants from my other house. Apparently the seed was in the soil as I noticed the BF bush growing up in the day lilies. It's the only volunteer I have ever had. I transplanted it to a better spot. It is a smaller bush with light purple blooms. The flower stalks are shorter than my named varieties.

I have lots of other BF bushes that the butterflies enjoy tremendously. Last fall, my Honeycomb bush was covered with BFs and moths. The bicolor was also a big hit. I don't think the bushes are going to become invasive around here, but I know that I wouldn't be without them in my garden.

Sandy

• rjj1
    16 years ago

This has been an interesting thread. It's nice to research things and form your own opinion based on hopefully informed unbiased info that is not politically motivated.

Nut cases spouting misinformed uneducated opinions are a dime a dozen and a big turnoff. Their sphere of influence ends at my property line.

The USDA is not immune from criticism either. They have probably done more to negatively influence native species and habitat than the private sector ever has. The introduction of Tamarix in the Grand Canyon for erosion control is a perfect example. It's now out of control in many western states and threatening water supplies because it's such a water hog.

randy

• Fledgeling_
    16 years ago

I would disagree with the statement that the USDA is often primarily responsible, though they continue to compound the problem by spreading weeds. In other countries over 70% of invasive weeds were originally garden plants (New Zealand http://www.doc.govt.nz/templates/summary.aspx?id=33500) so gardens can be a major source for invasives also.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    16 years ago

hi folks,
    I hope I'm not sticking my foot into a bear trap here but there really is some basis to NOT planting a whole lot of butterfly bushes.

First let me say a few things. I have a BF bush, I took cuttings last year and hope to have a few more this year... also I have seen them reseed here in PA but only a few and only when the seeds fell on bare ground (even though on a trip to WA/OR I saw them growing thick along the highways as a weed). So I guess I feel safe growing them here and will most likely always have a few in my garden (and I deadhead for more blooms, not because I'm worried about the seeds).

I think the point for not growing too many is based on something that I would guess almost everyone on this forum already knows. When you grow BF bushes you are attracting them to your yard but you are not really giving them a home. In order to give them a home they need host plants to lay their eggs on.

Here's something from "Bringing Wildlife Home" by Dr. Tallamy from the U of Delaware: "...not one species of butterfly in N. America can use buddleias as larval host plants. To have butterflies, we need to make butterflies.... Instead of building a butterfly garden with aliens (plants) that will make no new butterflies, use native species that serve as hosts for butterfly larvae as well as a supply of nectar for adults."

He also goes on to recommend buttonbush, "butterflies fight to gain access to its nectar, and it serves as a host plant for 18 species of Lepidoptera in my neck of the woods" (Eastern Pa I think)

So I guess I'm planting BF bush in order to SEE more butterflies..... I'm planting milkweed and violets and wild cherry so that there will BE more butterflies..... and I think I want to add a buttonbush.

• rjj1
    16 years ago

You may be right, but I think if we expanded the conversation to impact to habitat by the USDA dropping the ball with imports, I would be much closer to right. I would have to research the subject more, but do remember more than one story where wood used to make pallets in countries like China were infested with borers and or beetles that are now ravaging specific species of trees on the east coast.

randy

• Fledgeling_
    16 years ago

MMM, I think that has more to do with international trade. It was my understanding that the fumigate incoming wood shipments, but there is a huge volume of international shipping that goes through our ports, and they may not do it all thoroughly. I dont believe that is under USDAÂs administration, but donÂt quote me on that. What USDA does do is continue to plant weeds for soil stabilization like smooth brome and crown vetch. We spray to get rid of them and the plant them right back X(

• rjj1
    16 years ago

They play a roll in quite a few things that come to our shore. I import seed and plants of a specific species of tropical plant and all of those must go through a physical inspection by the USDA. In my case it happens in Humble Texas.

I know in the 90's a shipment of Crape Myrtle and Chinese elm went through USDA inspection on the east coast sitting on pallets. The plants were fine but the wood the pallets were made from were infested with both borer and beetle insects that then spread into the countryside and is causing major problems in many states. I was familiar with the company in China because I sold many of their pots back then.

Before 911, your baggage coming into the country was inspected by the USDA for various reasons. Now its TSA.

randy

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting