SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cactusmcharris

Cactus and Other Succulent Plants' Winter Show

So there's going to be a Cactus and Other Succulent Plant Show, put on by the San Diego Cactus and Succulent Society, on

Saturday, February 13, 2009, from about 10 a.m. to 5. pm..

I'm given to understand that this is the first year that it will (1) be judged and (2) sales tables will be placed outside the regular meeting room (Room 101), as the number of vendors has increased.

The admission to The Show is, as always, free.

For more information go to the San Diego Cactus and Succulent Society's web site - it's:

www.sdcss.net

Comments (39)

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Been there and done that, and it is always terrific, and I have enjoyed being there. I am so glad that you announced it Jeff. Norma

• bamboo_turtles
    14 years ago

I"ve been going to it for about three years , it's an awesome show !

• Related Discussions

Field Trip: San Diego Cactus and Succulent Society Winter Show

Q

Comments (13)
    Thanks tj, hanzrobo, and roro! It was a gorgeous day to spend in San Diego. Wish you all were there to share it with but alas pictures will have to do this time. Hanz...one of these days we will get you to a show. I think you would have a blast AND be broke, yes. The Central Coast Show is coming up in San Luis Obispo. Perhpaps? Roro - Jordy did have some entries even though he helped judged. I think that he just excludes himself from those classes for the judging time. Kelly Griffin was the main judge for the show. It was fun listening to the thought process of the judges. They were carrying around a mic to talk to the crowd as they judged. Yes, the size of some of the specimens were astounding! Are these the ones you were thinking of? Yes... Echeveria 'Ebony'
    ...See More

Sunset Cactus, succulent and bromeliad show

Q

Comments (4)
    Geoff, Ditto for me - some simply superb plants, and even not going I learned something about the variability of variegation (re the Agave applanata variegata). And the Dudleyas - like you, the finest I've seen, too. TFS.
    ...See More

Cactus and Succulent show and sale

Q

Comments (14)
    Plantermunn, I would guess you mean adeniums when talking about growing a caudex. If you send me an email, I'll fix you up with some seed from my plants. If you want to buy cactus seed, I would go with Mesa Gardens. If they keep rain in the forecast every day this week like it shows, you may want to pull those cuttings out of the ground until it dries out. If the ground stays soaking wet, they might rot. Ann, I tend to like to use thumbnails from Photobucket. I click the box under each photo I want to post, then go to the bottom right hand side of the page and click on Generate HTML And IMG Code. I then copy and paste the first box on the next page that comes up titled "HTML clickable thumbnails for Ebay, Livejournal, MySpace, etc. - recommended." I then paste that into my thread here. randy
    ...See More

Succulent plant cactus "show"

Q

Comments (2)
    Of course there's YuccaDo near Giddings. Don't currently seem to have retail hours, but apparently can still schedule individual or very small group visits.
    ...See More
  • dav4vid
    14 years ago

THANKS! I would not have known about this if you hadn't posted it. I will try to be there, if I'm not at work that day. In case actually show up, this is me:
    {{gwi:472537}}
    ...on my screen I'm life-size. Damn I'm ugly!

• nodakgal
    14 years ago

Oh I'd be in trouble if I could get there!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Norma, BT and David,

I hope I get the opportunity to meet you (the latter two) and Norma, be ready for a Canadian black bear-style bear hug, because, because, because, because I get to go to this one!

And for the rest of y'all that might find yourself in the area - I hope to meet you, too. Rosemarie - you simply must make yourself available, pretty please.

• rosemariero6
    14 years ago

I will try my best, Jeff...and just because you asked! :P

Is the Pres diff this yr in the SDCSS?

Original Author
    14 years ago

RoRo,

That's great news - I'm going to rename Graptopetalum paraguayense to G. rosemariensis if you'll give a little speech.....

Yes, Chris Miller is in her second year of her first term (I'd expect she'll be reelected later this year). I'll introduce you to her if you'd like.

• rosemariero6
    14 years ago

Oh Geeeeee, no fear of renaming THAT one! No speeches for me! Thanks, but I met her (Chris) at the SDCSS WAP picnic a few months ago. I was just curious whose generous hospitality was putting you up while you were in town! :) (as mentioned in another post)

I must go mark my calendar...so it doesn't get lost in these "crazy busy" times!

• dav4vid
    14 years ago

I have tried contacting SDC&SS thru their website but no one has answered. I want to find out what it will take to set up a sales table, as I have numerous rooted cuttings I can't seem to be able to give away on this forum. Maybe if I put a price tag on them, people will think they are worth something...

Does anyone know how to get in contact with whomever would be in charge of sales tables?

Original Author
    14 years ago

David,

I'd guess that the folks who check the website only do so several times a week - as it is in the middle of a regular working week, they may not be able to provide the response you're looking for at this time.

The last time I checked, in order to be a vendor you had to be a member and ensure that all of your plants looked good and were bug-free, . As for the percentage, I think it was 30/70 for The Society and vendor.

I'm not trying to discourage you from doing this (hey, if we get more people involved that's a good thing) but you might want to think about this - go there this time, speak with the vendors and get some of the benefits of their experience, and come away with some ideas. By the time your cuttings are young plants, it will be time for the annual Summer Show when we have thousands, thousands and thousands of folks pass through the exhibition hall and sales area during the 2-day event.

Again, this is not meant to discourage you; I don't know how much experience you have, but if you're still eager to sell you can PM me and I'll pass your details on to the appropriate people.

Original Author
    14 years ago

David et. al.,

It looks like it's getting planned and everything:

{{gwi:472539}}

• beachplant
    14 years ago

I wonder if I can get a flight....

David, if you decide not to sell those cuttings let me know, I'm always up for new plants!
    Tally HO!

• dav4vid
    14 years ago

Some of my "cuttings" are already small plants. Some are actually quite large. I'm definitely going to the show, and would most likely join the club; especially if that is a prerequisite for sales. I suppose I am a beginner at this, I've only been growing C&S for about 3 years now. Here is only some of what I have to offer:
    {{gwi:472542}}

{{gwi:472543}}

{{gwi:472544}}

{{gwi:472545}}

{{gwi:472546}}

{{gwi:472547}}

{{gwi:472548}}

{{gwi:472549}}

{{gwi:472550}}

{{gwi:472551}}

{{gwi:472552}}

{{gwi:472553}}

{{gwi:472554}}

{{gwi:472555}}

{{gwi:472556}}

I'll have plenty more after I clean up the mess made by these recent storms.

• cactusjordi
    14 years ago

David,
    Check out this Winter Show&Sale and see what's offered and how. Then become a member of SDCSS and you can be a vendor next Summer Show&Sale which is in July already.

Jordi

Original Author
    14 years ago

David,

Everyone starts somewhere - CJ's sage advice will help get you there.

Original Author
    14 years ago

CJ,

The month of the summer show (The Really, Really Big Show) has been changed from June to July?

• cactusjordi
    14 years ago

jh,
    I don't know. Maybe it's not in July but in June. I can't remember and tried to but couldn't find out in SDCSS's HP.

CJ

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Jeff they seem to be really testing the skills of the growers, it's really a winter show. How cold is it down their during Feb. and they are still putting the Vendors outside, I hope it doesn't rain. Norma

Original Author
    14 years ago

CJ,

I think it will remain the first full weekend of June - it seems to work pretty well before, eh?

Norma,

Growing these plants in the Southern California is not, I don't think, a particularly grueling prospect, if that's what you mean.

Yes, it's a winter show - that's what seasonal designation is used.

February can get cold, well, for San Diego - I think all the way down to freezing in the areas north, east and south, when you're away from the warming influence of the ocean. I saw temperatures as low as the high 30's, low 40's, but that's an anomaly.

I too hope it doesn't rain, but even if it did it wouldn't dampen my enthusiasm - a torrential downpour, however, might do so.

• PRO
    Kaveh Maguire Garden Design
    14 years ago

I think I am going to try to get down their this year. San Diego is amazingly the only city I have never managed to get to on the California coast despite being so close. For those that have been where is the best place to park to be closest to the building where this is being held?

Original Author
    14 years ago

Clemantis integrifolia,

I've never been able to grow C. well - you'll have to advise me, but enough of me.

Thousands and thousands of folks use Balboa Park every day - throw in various and sundry events on any average weekend (I'm sure the SDCSS Winter Show is but one of many going on) and you wind up with tens of thousands. Parking is at a premium inside the park - which has nooks and crannies, along with a few lots, of parking. We could also have the added benefit of young dancers and musicians in the floors above us hoofin' and blowin'.

If you can, I would suggest you park away (across Park Avenue or in the Zoo parking lot, which won't get crazy until later> and take a shuttle or walk the short distance.

If the distance between where you're parked is a hindrance to your anticipated joyful purchases, one of the sales folks (it could even me) will joyfully assist you.

In the map at the link, the building that The Show is in is marked #15 - the Casa del Prado buiding. We're located in The Hall of Goodies.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Jewel In The San Diego Crown

• PRO
    14 years ago

The Hall of Goodies? Is it really called that? lol

So parking at the zoo is doable then? Maybe I will just do that.

• dav4vid
    14 years ago

Clemantis integrifolia;
    If you arrive early enough, you should be able to find a spot next to the Natural History museum. There is another lot directly north of there, toward the zoo, next to Spanish Village. Both are accessed from Village Place. Another lot south of the Ruben Fleet Science Center is accessed from Space Theater Way. Also there is plenty of space along Park Blvd. All of these locations are closer than the zoo parking lot, which fills up rapidly. No matter where you leave your car, the key is to get there EARLY, especially on the weekend.

For those of you who have not yet seen it, you MUST cross the foot bridge near the fountain and take a walk through the DESERT GARDEN. It's very close to the show. There is another spectacular C&S garden behind the Automobile Museum on President's Way. It's a bit of a walk from where the show will be, but well worth it for C&S enthusiasts.

• dav4vid
    14 years ago

I just scored a whale-watching job on Saturday on a private yacht. So I need to do that. But if I finish early enough, I'll be at the show. I hope I can make it before everyone is putting all their plants away.
    {{gwi:472558}}

• rosemariero6
    14 years ago

Okay, DAVID...that's WAY off Topic! (Unnecessary photo and HUGE to boot!) Couldn't you have sent a private message instead? WOW!

Original Author
    14 years ago

I wanna ride the big boat!

• cactusjordi
    14 years ago

So we at least have one more parking lot available. Enjoy seeing the whales at the great weather wi'll have on Saturday!

jord

• bamboo_turtles
    14 years ago

Helew , I am going to the show on Sat morning since Sunday will be Vday and I will be taking the gf to the zoo for the day . I would love to meet some of the folks on this forum , how does everyone meet on here at the shows ? :)

Original Author
    14 years ago

BT,

I'll be wearing an SDCSS nametag - look for 'Gladys Slackhammer'.

Really, ask around for Jeff or Cactus Jordi - we'll be hanging around like_____________.

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

God Dave!

Beautiful plants! Why don't you have a sale at your home too? You could make a killing!

Thanks for the pictures. Ps. My mother thought you were cute, so no worries!!

Original Author
    14 years ago

Dave,

I'm sure the Society would like you as a member and a vendor - there's certainly a place for someone selling succulent-garden starter plants that are grown well and bug-free.

It's interesting that you also are growing Cistanthe guadalupensis - that's a great plant for the SouCal growing area and is underrepresented in San Diego gardens (Bonus! - Cistanthe-member plants are commonly known as 'pussypaws').

Coincidentally enough, there was a show last night on folks who dive with sharks - one of the best places to see great white sharks is off Guadalupe Island, which is where C.g. comes from (it and a few islets). They were diving from a boat, so my posting here is coming full-circle with your most-recent picture. Speaking of pictures, if you're judiciously posting off-topic pics (and large ones at that), you might want to put just a thumbnail up in the post, rather than the whole picture. Some folks here are on dial-up.

• rosemariero6
    14 years ago

I will be there...hoping to be early...hanging around Jeff ("Gladys" LOL) & Jordi (Jürgen), when not shopping, that is (look for me, with long, dark hair pulling a rolling crate-probably with camera hanging around my neck too)! Hope to meet some new folks from the forum! :) See you tomorrow! Can't wait!

bamboo_turtles, what's your name? Any way for us to recognize you?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Ya'll have fun...and please bring back some memorable pics!
    We'll be waiting...

Josh

• rosemariero6
    14 years ago

We had a blast! CactusMcHarris & I got to meet David after all! Recognized his mug right away! Lots of people, lots of plants, lots of pix, lots of FUN!

Sorry I didn't know who to look for, bamboo_turtles! If you went, hope you had fun too!

A few pix will be posted later-after I process 'em...and make my boys some dinner!

• PRO
    14 years ago

San Diego was beautiful. I'll have to go back soon to check out the rest of Balboa Park when I have more time and don't have a trunk full of little plants.

It was funny I got their early and quickly went to work filling up a box of plants at the outside tables. Then I asked where to pay and they told me I had to pay inside. I didn't even know there was an inside with tons more plants for sale (and a line so long I waited a half hour to pay!).

Bought 16 little plants. Lithops, Conophytums, Crassula, and Cheiridopsis for the most part. I'll probably be posting them shortly asking if there is anything I need to know to keep them alive.

• rosemariero6
    14 years ago

CI, sorry I didn't ask about meeting you...I recall reading your posts from long ago. It would've been nice to meet you. Sounds like you had a good time! Yes, the checkout line was long! Looking forward to pix.

• PRO
    14 years ago

No problem Rosemarie. I'm a bit shy. :)

• bamboo_turtles
    14 years ago

HEY ! Although not as big and overwhelming as the summer shows , BUT the winter show was absolutely incredible ! It was a refreshing event from all the rain and cold , I am so ready for spring ! I bought two Commiphora madagascariensis , two Raphionacme flanaganii , two Petopentia natalensis , and a Fockea crispa . The Petopentia has beautiful leaves ! I love the purple underneth ! The long lines were nice , it gave opprotunity to get to know a few people standing with you . The show plants were incredible . All around it was a fun ,refreshing show .
    As far as Petopentia natalensis , is there still a debate to whether it's Fockea tugelensis or Fockea natalensis ?

• caudex1
    14 years ago

The only debate is with those that still label Petopentia Fockea. Petopentia natalensis is in the Periploceceae family not Asclepiadaceae.

>>>>Eagerly awaiting photos

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company