SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lgslgs

OT: Fall clean up in Zone Lynda

lgslgs
14 years ago

Some of you are aware of the Zone Lynda master plan - giant flower garden in front of the house, seed save like a crazy lady, and then eventually direct sow flowers out in our 15 acre fenced "goatland area". I'm hoping that with enough seeds and enough time a few of those flower seeds will reach the bloom stage before the goats eat them.

The goats and cow have been clearing the woods over the past several years. That's taken out all of the understory growth. Now we are picking up sticks and harvesting leaves off of parts of our land that are currently deeply mulched forest floor.

The link will take you to a short video of an area we worked on yesterday. Once the sticks and leaves are removed the area is all bare soil with a scattering of little grass and weed babies. We'll continue to remove leaf from this area as it falls and then once Winter Sowing season hits I'll direct sow some of my surplus harvested flower seed into this area. Right now the idea is to just get something green started there.

Every bit of area we clean this way will start to green up and provide more food acreage for the goats and Connie the cow. If you want to see the goats or Connie, just check out the other videos in my photostream.

We also compost all of the leaf and that will eventually become potting mix for our vegetable buckets.

I'm really excited about opening up more growing space on the land. I really do think that we might be able to expand our grazing areas so much that the goats and Connie will overlook the occasional bad tasting flower.

Lynda

Here is a link that might be useful: Clearing new growing area

Comments (2)