SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jodik_gw

My Spiritual Renewal - Minerva 2

jodik_gw
11 years ago

As some of you know, I experienced a terrible NBF infestation that left me, and my Amaryllid collection, rather devastated. I lost interest in sharing, lost interest in collecting, or even caring for the plants I had left. I had been so happy and proud to go from a one bulb person several years ago, who knew next to nothing about the science of container growing... to a fairly well educated grower with an extensive collection of one of my favorite plant types, tender bulbs.

And then, the unthinkable happened. Somehow, the Narcissus Bulb Fly got in and ran through my bulb collection at will, without my noticing, and destroyed much of what I'd worked so hard at growing. I might not have found the culprit, but a Eucharis suddenly went downhill, and I sliced into it to find out why. That's when I saw the maggot... and I knew.

I was so depressed. I already fight daily with a plethora of issues and results of poor luck. As many of you know, I have Lupus, and am partially disabled due to injuries sustained in an auto accident. Growing my bulbs and gardening really helped me keep my spirits up, and helped keep me moving...

Within the past week or so, I finally got up the nerve and the will to go through every single plant and pot in my indoor growing area, and get everything cleaned up, thrown out, pots washed, and salvaged plants re-potted into new medium.

The most difficult part was tipping the pot containing Minerva and disposing of her remains. I almost cried. I'd had that bulb for almost 15 years, or thereabouts... a long time to grow and enjoy consistent blooms from a $3 bulb.

I promised myself that if I saw a reasonably priced Minerva this year, I'd get it. But the local stores are carrying Apple Blossom, Red Lion, and Star of Holland as their mainstays this season. I was out of luck.

I mentioned in passing to a friend of mine that I was determined to locate one, and if the price were right, I would consider it a replacement, and continue the tradition with Minerva 2.

Four days later, I received a small box in the mail, and upon opening it, I wept for joy... inside, nestled in tissue paper and packing was the largest, most beautiful, healthiest Minerva bulb I've ever seen in my life! I quickly called him and left a mostly unintelligible, tear filled message of thanks, urging him to call as soon as he could so I could thank him proper!

Here she is... with heartfelt thanks to Mike and Mom... I give you... Minerva 2 - the tradition continues!

{{gwi:434730}}

And so, with a new found, rising spirit for that which I fell in love with many years ago... namely Amaryllids... I begin my journey once more. I can't promise that I'll post every single day, but I will make a concerted effort to share in the joy we all know as the lovely Hippeastrum, and the friendships found and forged through the love of these plants.

Thanksgiving Day couldn't be a more fitting day to introduce something I'm so thankful to have received from a pair I'm more than thankful to call my close, dear friends.

Please enjoy her with me! Happy Holidays, everyone! :-)

Comments (9)

Sponsored
More Discussions