SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petrushka_gw

to pot up or leave bare-rooted?

petrushka (7b)
9 years ago

i stopped watering sep 15 and my bulbs were outside until a couple of weeks ago, when it dropped below 40s at night.
unfortunately we had a bad storm about oct 20 and my covers on 4 pots were ripped off by wind and they got soaked. i brought them in to dry up for 1 week indoors (68F-70F), as i was afraid of rot.
my pots are tall and narrow, about 5" by 12". after that i put them outside again in cool temps. when i brought them in i noticed that some bulbs started pushing out new leaves. i should've bare-rooted for storage there and then, but i did not realize that soil inside was still damp. so naturally they started growing! warm and lightly moist - just perfect!
now i pulled the largest bulb out and looked at what's inside: some very old roots are dried up (been 2 years in the same pot), no rot anywhere, new roots started growing (red tips), lots of good roots from this year all around. i have 6" leaf and two more starting.
i don't want to grow it now, i need to stall until mid-feb - since light until then is just too low here. and i do not have cool garage storage.
normally i put them bare-rooted near the coolest window on the floor under the shelf, in vented clam-shells and then in open narrow baskets laid on the side - so they are dry and almost dark. the temps are about 58F- 60F. and they are fine.
but now i have leaves starting and new roots going already - do i bare-root and stack for storage as normal? or do i at least pot them up into new DRY medium to prevent drying up of the roots, and leave them just standing like that at about 60F? in the light or in the dark?
or do i premoisten the medium slightly and pot up and leave them without watering until feb, with just what's in soil. i do that for calla lily and keep the pot in same 60F place, in the dark and it just barely grows roots there for sev months, producing shoots by march. but then calla corms are planted 3" deep and they get no light at all, where as amaryllis bulbs are above the soil and will react to light? i just don't want the flowers to shoots until feb at the earliest. and i want minimal growth on leaves. too much to ask?

i am keeping the bulb that i dug up in the narrow tall pot - so it sits snugly with bare roots inside - so i can wait a day or two to decide what to do.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz
More Discussions