SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dellis530

Show off your favorite pictures of your collections...

dellis530
12 years ago

I have been lurking here for years and love looking at other ppl's collections. I get lots of ideas for staging and I'm jealous of the collections that can be outside all year!!

This is one of my favorite pictures from a few years ago, I was moving the plants outside and put most of my smaller cactuses on the table temporarily. TaaDaa ! photo-op.

Denise

{{gwi:468598}}

Comments (79)

• flowerpottipper
    12 years ago

teatree,

Thanks, It's called Maraca Portulaca "portulaca molokiniensis" from Proven Selections (Proven Winners). If you go to Proven Winner's websight they'll give you a list of nearby nurseries that carry their brand.

-FlowerPotTipper

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Thank you! It's a gorgeously shaped plant, and loveliest color. Sigh, adding to the list... :) Its flowers are also pretty fantastic.

• Related Discussions

Show off your favorite fragrants!

Q

Comments (27)
    Wow! Can you hear that sound in the distance? Its the sound of my credit card melting! :) Its hard for me to choose what I like best on some of them the flower or the foliage! I'm pro-flower when it comes to hostas. Bee's and hummingbirds have to eat too! :) Thank you all for the photos. I might have to create a fragrant bed. Along with the beds I need to make for the 2 orders coming next week. So far that's the only fun thing about this concussion I totally forgot about Naylors order and proceeded to place one with Jeff Miller lol. At least they are all different plants, I'm on a streaker kick this week.
    ...See More

Tell Us About Your Favorite Collection...

Q

Comments (130)
    This is a great thread. We all love what we collect and isn't it wonderful that most of us collect something different? I collect blue and white Staffordshire Transferware from England, early to mid 1800's. I have over 100 Cup Plates, a little more or less than 4" diameter. They were used as a coaster with the handless cups with bowl shape saucer of 6" from the 1820-1850 period. Often confused with a child's plate from a toy tea set. I also have many patterns of dinner ware pieces of a specific potter E. & G Phillips, Longport England. American butter stamps, butter churns and English cream pots with dairy names stamped or transfered on the pot and numerous other things too many to list. I am just addicted to antiques and collectibles. I also clean and repair and resale and upgrade my English china. So my life is a constant buy, clean, repair, resale, collect more upgrade..etc. I tell my husband I am recycling and being green! I love,love, love what I do. I cannot imagine not ever being able to buy and also resale to share my knowlegde. I also have an extensive library of reference books and love researching everything.
    ...See More

Show me your favorite picture for over the sofa?

Q

Comments (56)
    Crazyone, there is still much to do in our living room (new carpet, lamps, end table, etc.) and I'm hoping to bring some color to the walls some day. There is an "Inglenook" (i.e., step down conversation pit) and fireplace just behind where I am standing to take my picture. It has colored walls and built in seating that I absolutely love. I just need to find another color for the sofa area that will compliment it. The wall opposite the sofa has a large, espresso color entertainment unit and a vaulted ceiling that needs some serious attention as well. So much to do, so little time. :-) Jodi-
    ...See More

Show me your (favorite) pendants

Q

Comments (12)
    Tech Lighting Egypt in Dark Amber w/satin nickel trim. Absolutely perfect for our kitchen. I fell in love with the mini-pendant four years before we started our kitchen remodel and then forgot about it. After three months of scouring every light store in Southern CA and many on the internet, looking at Murano glass and other materials I remembered the beaded pendants at The Great Indoors. We drove to the store, bought three and our illusive quest was over.
    ...See More
  • chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Colleen: I wasn't sure if I had sent you any Aeoniums - I sent another package of plants to another GW'er around the same time I sent out that first one to you. That must've been the one with the Aeoniums. (I sometimes can't find my glasses...when I'm wearing them. Or my keys...when I'm holding them in my hand.) Mischievous, me? :) Why, whatever do you mean? ;) I got the thank you card, btw. Thank YOU. It's lovely. I love the pressed flowers. And I'd kill to have your penmanship.

FlowerPotTipper: Fantastic specimens! You really should post more. :) (Ha! So say I, as I sit on about 400+ photos I have yet to get around to sharing...) I think I can ID some, but there are a few I want to ask about:

#'s 5, 6, 8 & 9. What are they?

#10, the smaller plant. What is that?

#11, that gorgeous pinkish-edged crested thing in the bottom left corner. What is that beauty?

Also, if you can tell me if I got any of these wrong, and what are the ones with the question marks:

{{gwi:468651}}

Thanks so much. Again, great photos! :)

*CG*

• flowerpottipper
    12 years ago

CG,

I'll give you the names on the tags... and we know how reliable those can be lol...

#5-Silver Ridge Aloe "aloe quick silver x rare flare"
    #6-Somona Karola euphorbia crown of thorns
    #8-Donkey tail"burrito" sedum hybrid
    #9-Kiwi Aeonium (trying to bloom so it looks weird right now)
    {{gwi:468653}}

#10-Crassula rupestris marnierana Baby necklace

#11- is called Alabaster Swirl, euphorbia lactea/cristata variegata, something my daughter picked out, she named it Billy...
    {{gwi:468656}}

and for the picture I have with a bunch of succulents are-

This one's tag just says "Aloe Hybrid, Aloe variegata x A. 'Johnson's Hybrid'
    {{gwi:468658}}
    Firesticks, euphorbia tirucalli
    {{gwi:468661}}
    Anacampseros rufescens
    {{gwi:468663}}
    Aeonium 'silver edge'
    {{gwi:468665}}
    Burgundy Ice Dyckia (I guess this plant is actually in the bromeliad family but is seen as a succulent)
    {{gwi:468667}}
    Echeveria "black knight"
    {{gwi:468668}}
    'Alpenglow'/'Vera Higgins" Graposedum
    {{gwi:468669}}
    Echeveria 'Frosty'
    {{gwi:468670}}
    Echeveria "plush plant"
    {{gwi:468671}}
    Pachyveria 'Blue Pearl'
    {{gwi:468672}}

I hope that covers it all, sorry if I missed any, let me know if I did.
    -FlowerPotTipper

• caudex1
    12 years ago

"Caudex, what are the 1st depicted plant, and the 4th called?"

1st is Cyphostemma simulans and 4th is Ipomoea bolusiana

How about a few cacti
    {{gwi:468673}}

{{gwi:468674}}

{{gwi:468675}}

{{gwi:468676}}

{{gwi:468677}}

• TT, zone 5b MA
    12 years ago

Keith-

What is the second to last plant in your last post? Looks like some kind of yucca?

That is such an amazing combination with that pot! You almost cannot tell where the pot ends and the plant begins...amazing!

T

• TT, zone 5b MA
    12 years ago

Great pics on this post, everyone.

Here are a few of my south window sunners...hard to pic favorites, though:

{{gwi:468678}}

{{gwi:468679}}

{{gwi:468680}}

{{gwi:468681}}

{{gwi:468682}}

{{gwi:468684}}

{{gwi:468687}}

T

• caudex1
    12 years ago

"What is the second to last plant in your last post? Looks like some kind of yucca?"

T,
    It's Leuchtenbergia principis and one of my favorite pot/plant combinations

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

FPT: Thanks so much for the IDs! You have some lovely babies there. :)

Caudex: Fantastic. Just fantastic. I need to have you do a few for me! :)

*CG*

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Tom: Ooh! Ooh! I am loving that jade in your last picture! Cuuuuuuuuuute! And your Euphorbia "Snowflake" is gorgeous! I have one, a small, solitary thing. Had another, but I gave it to a friend. Really, all your plants are lovely. :)

*CG*

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    12 years ago

Today is a bright day in Ohio. Most days aren't. Feel free to post pictures, so I can have something to look at.

• unprofessional
    12 years ago

I have a small collection which I grow in semi-hydro in our living room window. Pictures don't really show how nice a display they make. Each glass is about 20" tall.

I just put the mistreated hawarthias in this week - they'd been left in an abandoned house for about a year before I grabbed them. Hopefully I can save them.
    {{gwi:466877}}

{{gwi:468690}}
    {{gwi:466871}}

Did these ferocactus up today - will be interested to see how they do.
    {{gwi:466880}}

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

While I'm smart enough to know this kind of thread isn't for competition, I am almost fearful of posting to it because there are sooooo many beautiful plants, especially the caudex plants, some of my faves! And since I'm bad news when it comes to names and ID's, I sure wish there were more names with the pictures.... anyway, here are some of my plants from this past summer. I trust you'll enjoy them and thanks for looking.

{{gwi:468693}}
    {{gwi:468695}}
    {{gwi:468696}}
    {{gwi:468698}}
    {{gwi:468700}}
    {{gwi:468702}}
    {{gwi:468704}}
    {{gwi:468706}}
    {{gwi:468708}}
    {{gwi:468709}}
    {{gwi:468711}}
    {{gwi:468712}}
    {{gwi:468714}}

• TT, zone 5b MA
    12 years ago

A few from under the lights...

{{gwi:468716}}

{{gwi:468719}}

{{gwi:468721}}

{{gwi:468724}}

{{gwi:468726}}

{{gwi:468728}}

{{gwi:468731}}

{{gwi:468735}}

T

• TT, zone 5b MA
    12 years ago

...there are so many fantastic plants on this thread, it is just going to make me want MORE...

T

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    12 years ago

These picture threads are bad. They encourage me to spend more time and money tracking these incredible plants down.

Tom,
    Could you ID the plants in your last post? I'm really starting to like the thick caudex tree looking plants, and your look great!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

Beautiful photographs all of you. So many. Thanks for showing them .

I decided to stick with ones from past years since I didn't want to be redundant and depend on y'all not remembering these photos .

{{gwi:468738}}
    {{gwi:468741}}

{{gwi:468746}}

{{gwi:468750}}

{{gwi:468753}}

{{gwi:468755}}

{{gwi:468757}}

{{gwi:468759}}

{{gwi:468761}}

{{gwi:468763}}

{{gwi:468765}}

Oh dear,I am digressing into dangerous territory. It in the 70"s today. I should not even think about this.

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

ewwww...the ice is sending chills down my spine, but oh so pretty in its crystaline way. My "collection" has reached its limit and you've seen it! In April I will have reached my first year anniversary of owning succulents. We'll see how many have survived then.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Denise,

What a pleasant subject to ask pictures for - let me see if I can rustle up some San Diegan and Kamloopian plant pics....
    {{gwi:468766}}

{{gwi:468767}}

{{gwi:468768}}

{{gwi:468769}}

{{gwi:468771}}

{{gwi:73646}}

{{gwi:468772}}

• TT, zone 5b MA
    12 years ago

whip -

sure...

yucca endlichiana
    othonna arbuscula
    othonna herrei
    pachypodium inopinatum
    monadenium ritchiei
    aloe marlothii (with a commiphora monstruosa in the background...)
    bursura fagaroides
    pachycormus discolor

Tom

12 years ago

From San Diego,

{{gwi:468773}}

{{gwi:468774}}

{{gwi:468775}}

{{gwi:466348}}

{{gwi:464729}}

{{gwi:468776}}

{{gwi:468777}}

{{gwi:468778}}

{{gwi:468779}}

{{gwi:468780}}

{{gwi:468781}}

{{gwi:468783}}

Back to Kamloops - home's where the plants are, eh?

{{gwi:468784}}

{{gwi:468786}}

{{gwi:71702}}

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

DOC: Are those all yours? They're magnificent! I ask only because the photo quality looks almost like they were taken from a textbook. Just beautiful! The E. diffractens flower stalks (very first photo) just took my breath away. And the variegated Aeonium in the third - I've never seen them trunked up like that like that. I love it! Your Asterias and Gymnocalyciums I'm swooning over (I love globe-shaped C&S, they just so adorable!); likewise the Turbinicarpus. Huernia zebrina reminds me of a corpse flower (which I understand stinks to high heavens, but is just fascinating to look at). You've got some lovely specimens there, boss. Just beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

*CG*

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Holy helluva hold up & wait a sec! Too...many...awesome...plants! Can't...keep...up!

Denise, Cactus is right, this is a fantastic thread topic. Thanks so much for starting it!

Whip is also right - it's a bad, bad influence, it's making us all want to go out and get more! :)

Somewhere in some thread or other I commented that I had promised my husband I'd hold off on buying more plants for a while... It's a damn good thing I didn't make that a New Year's Resolution, cuz today we went to Lowes, and, well... You know. :) Will post pictures in a bit. :)

Ok, let's see. I want to address Tom's stuff, then Wanton's, then Cactus'. I have a feeling that by the time I'm done "ooh"ing and "aahh"ing over their plants, there will be more posted.

Which is, of course, never a bad thing. :)

*CG*

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Well. Where to begin? They all look wonderful. I love the tree-like shaping of most of them. If I had to pick a favorite out of the bunch, I'd say...mmm...*thinking hard*... the Pachypodium inopinatum. It's just so neat-looking!

But I do want to ask, how do you care for your Monadenium ritchiei? I got one within the last month or so, and it's dropped its leaves and lost its flowers; and two nodes now have completely rotted through. I cut them off, but the rotting seems to be coming from the base, and I'm worried it's only a matter of time before the rest of it succumbs. I think I may have watered it once when I first got it, but I don't remember. I put it outside in the day for sunlight (60s & 70s here in the day), and bring it indoors in the evening, as it drops into the low 40s at night here. I haven't repotted it since I got it, and I haven't dug it up to look at the roots. I've taken pictures of it when I first brought it home, when I discovered the rot, when I cut the first piece off, and when the "surgery" site had calloused over. I'll have to get those pictures posted, I think. What suggestions might you have on how to care for this thing?

*CG*

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Wanton: Love the purple Opuntia in the first photo. We have a lot of large Opuntia out here (well, in the more coastal areas). They're not indigenous, but they've naturalized, and they're all over the place. I have some photos somewhere... Is this one "Lucy?" I seem to recall someone having one of these, and they had named it Lucy. Cute beetles in the flower!

Also loving the cat. :) What home or garden is complete without a cat?

Now, all your Cacticus iciclius, how did they fare after such an ordeal? Those images remind me of living on the east coast. We had two ice storms blow through about 2 years apart. Ice coating everything. I seem to recall the Patuxent River or the Potomac River freezing over, or part of the Chesapeake Bay freezing over... Something froze over. I remember that in the second storm we lost power for a week; got down into the 40s in the house (it was actually warmer outside than inside during the daytime); we wore mad-crazy layers and huddled around the fireplace to keep warm; 100-foot-tall birch trees bowed under the weight of all the ice, hanging mere inches over the house - at night we'd listen as the "snap! snap! crack! pop! shiver-shudder-crash-thunder-BOOM!" would pierce the erie silence as, one by one, they'd snap like twigs and come crashing down; with each one, we thought for sure it would come down on top of the house and crush one of us in our beds. (Eventually my folks decided we'd had enough of that, and we packed up and drove a county or so over, where they still had power, and stayed in a Motel 6.)

Ah, fond memories of living in Maryland...

*CG*

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

OKAY!

First and foremost, love the kitties! The tortie munching on the aloe in the window, and the "shoulder perch." Love cats. Lived with them for 21 years before we finally had to put our last one down in 2009. (She was my baby.) My mother managed to go 2 years before she finally couldn't handle being cat-less anymore. (My poor father. He's allergic.) She she brought home two rescues, and all is right again with the world. (As for myself, my husband and I have a black lab, and we're fostering a yellow one.)

Now. As to plants. I have some ID requests...

You're first batch:
    - Photo #2.
    - Photo #3.
    - #4 - not an ID request, just a big thank you for posting us a Saguaro!
    - Last photo - the red-n-green spidery-looking aloe with the lovely yellow blooms, and the stalky Euphorbia-looking plant to the right.

Your SD batch:
    - 1st & 2nd photos - something you're trying to say? ;)
    - 3rd photo - ID, please! I have one of these, and I sent one to Teatree, and neither of us can quite pin down what it is!
    - Photo#4 - nice arrangement! I like the pot, and the stringy grass-tufts. :)
    - Photo #6 - Balboa Park, I take it? San Diego C&S Society, right? I really need to get in on that. Oh, & btw, next time you're in SD, let me know!
    - Photo #9 - I was so swoony over all those magnificent barrel cacti that I didn't even notice the braided head! A great contrast! What garden is that, btw?
    - Photo #10 - ID? Lovely flowers!
    - #11 - AWESOME. :)
    - #12 - Whoooo, how can I appreciate the plant when I'm so distracted by your infinitely more regal feline master? (You do know that they own us, right?) :)

And Kamloops:
    - #2, is that an E. "Black Prince" or E. "Black Knight?" Or something else entirely?
    - #6 - Love the combination of Haworthias, Aloe, and are those Gasterias?
    - #7 - Love it!

A nice showing, as always.

Y'know, I see a LOT of Alberta license plates out here in the desert during the winter. (Even saw Ontario the other day.) Maybe you should head this way sometime. At least hit up Anza-Borrego in the spring. The bloom period is stunning. Even after a single good rainfall, the ocotillo is just gorgeous.

*CG*

• TT, zone 5b MA
    12 years ago

CG -

M. ritchiei has been tricky for me, too! I have had mine for a while, but I can't say it really thrives for me. It flowers pretty regularly...but does not grow that quickly. Never leafs out for me, either.

I now keep it pretty dry under lights. 60-70F during the day, down to 50F at night.

Anybody with better experience on how to get these guys to do well, please chime in!

Thanks!

BTW - wanton...love your opuntia popsicles, too!

Everyone else - great stuff!

Oh, and Jeff...love the outlaw look!

Tom

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

That Burgundy Ice Dyckia is gorrrrgeous, FlowerPotTipper.
    Jeff's Gasteria and variegated Haws just kill me.

Snapped today in greenhouse.
    {{gwi:468796}}
    Aeonium arboreum luteovariegatum Of course, I think there's a crested A. 'Sunburst' up there that just puts me to shame all over, but damn if I finally didn't find a crested A. last month. I have a long waiting time for it to be fantastic.
    {{gwi:468797}}
    {{gwi:468798}}
    {{gwi:468799}}
    baby G. 'Fred Ives'
    {{gwi:468800}}
    My one Agave. Agave lophantha 'Quadricolor'
    {{gwi:468801}}
    Aloe aristata hybrid and baby
    {{gwi:468802}}
    Aloe nobilis var. 'Crosby's Compact,' or so was guessed
    {{gwi:468804}}
    Could never bring myself to remove the fern. Aloe sladeniana relative.
    {{gwi:468806}}
    little not-IDed Pachy
    {{gwi:468807}}
    and Graptoveria delight
    {{gwi:468809}}
    E. 'Black Prince'--always pretty
    {{gwi:468810}}
    Echeveria pulvinata var. frigida 'Frosty,' before bloom time in summer-- love that plant.
    {{gwi:468811}}
    E. 'Doris Taylor.' I refer to her as Doris and everyone's just supposed to know.
    {{gwi:468812}}

Colleen

• TT, zone 5b MA
    12 years ago

...love the fern. Don't remove it!

T

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

I love my surprise fern too. It sprouted up about a year ago, and I couldn't remove it then...and definitely can't now. :)

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Colleen: I had actually jumped to the bottom of the page and scrolled up to find where I had last read in the thread, and saw all these magnificent Aeoniums, and immediately started thinking of you. "Oh, Colleen will love these!" I saw the mystery Pachy and thought, "Ooh, ooh, maybe this person has an ID on this thing! Oh, nope. Man, no one knows what this thing is!" And as I got closer and closer to the top of the post, I started thinking, "Wait a minute. I bet this is Colleen." And sure enough! :)

Glasses on my face...keys in my hand... ;)

Very, very lovely plants. Each and every one of them a jewel. Thanks so much for sharing, they're a true delight!

*CG*

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Hahahaa. You could have e-mailed me and asked me for a possible trade for some of those Aeoniums to secretly send to me. ;) You would too. Haha, on a crappy day you crack me up.

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

All part of my charm. :)

• dellis530
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow I'm diggin seeing all these pictures. What good is a collection if you can show it off and brag a little amoung friends. Besides if you're like me and not good at very much, but your good at growing its nice to show your "work" Brag away!!!

WanderingWillow-whats that tall one in the middle, I'm blind, but it looks like a E.Ammak at the bottom and an Astro at the top?

CG-I would still rather battle the heat instead of the cold, its so sad when the season is over and I have to move them in. Years ago when I was here there was alot of ppl from your part of the world that used shade cloth and canopys. That might help in boiling weather.

Andrew- I remember seeing that cutting earlier in the message board (I read back far to catch up)you have a good chance for a nice thick trunk on that.

FlowerPotTipper - great pics, its nice to see that I'm not the only one tieing lights to shelves. You have alot of plants I cant seem to grow at all. Its nice to see someone else growing Dykias. Nice work!

Caudex - great job again, if memory serves don't you show these plants, they all deserv blue ribbons! I'd love to see where you keep thep off season (yes, I'm nosey)I don't have the nerve to chop or try to train my caudex plants, but I'm inspried now.

Tom-Great job on the Euphorbia "Snowflake" I always liked how they look in big clumps. I love your bonsai work too, how do you get the trunks so fat? I kill those, lol

Unprofessional-the terrariums look cool, but they dont rot from too much moisture? Do you fertilize? If they last in there I bet you could sell those.

Bikerdoc - Loved seeing the flowers esp. on a dreary day like today. I even got some ID's from your picks. That aeonium looks ancient!

McHarris -(Jeff, right?) I remember you from long ago, but I wasnt sure since I thought you were in California. I recognize some of your plants believe it or not. Did you get a greenhouse? Did you move? I remember the cats, lol. How did you handle moving to zone 5??? What is that variegated Agave 8th from the bottom, that one of my NOIDs.

TeaTree - Love the Aeoniniumums. I'd love to see a picture of your green house.

Denise

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

CG, yes, these are all mine and photographed this past summer. Your comments are wonderful.... thanks!

How do you attach a name (upper left corner) to each of your posts? While I do enjoy this forum, I must admit some difficulty using it because it isn't as "technically" friendly as some others (Orchids) I use.

This is a wonderful thread for all of us to share with one another.... just GREAT!!!!!!

{{gwi:468813}}

{{gwi:468814}}

{{gwi:468816}}

{{gwi:468817}}

{{gwi:468818}}

Ooooppppssss ... Oh well, some orchid pictures can't hurt too much... can they... :)

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Doc: Beatiful orchids. I'm not much of an orchid person, but these are exceptional. My husband, on the other hand, seems to have a thing for them. I keep meaning to get him some, but he's not actually one to keep plants/flowers. I'm afraid I'd be the one who'd have to care for them - and I've got my hands full with my C&S.

It's ironic - he was a Bio major and focused a lot on plants. I never really had much of an interest in plants. Now (years later) the only plant he seems to actually care about is the grass in the yard; and, well, you see what I've turned into. :) I'm actually planning to go back to school to get my degree in Bio with a focus on plants. (I'm starting a botany class this month.) Go figure, eh? :) (I just wish he hadn't given away all his undergrad textbooks.)

If you look at the field you're typing in when you leave a follow-up post, there's a field just above it called "Subject of Posting." That's where I change my headers. I've found that if I don't, sometimes the site rejects my posts.

*CG*

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

Yes , That is Lucy in her prime.. She is suffering now.Ahhh, Long of tooth. She did not take the 11 and 12 degree weather to well. She is still alive and was entered in an Ugly cactus thread earlier this season.

About the cactus icicles; The little round cactus ( a golden barrel) met it end but the others did fine and bloomed and lived on and died in the 11 degree cold front 5 years later.

• caudex1
    12 years ago

"Caudex - great job again, if memory serves don't you show these plants, they all deserv blue ribbons! I'd love to see where you keep thep off season (yes, I'm nosey)I don't have the nerve to chop or try to train my caudex plants, but I'm inspried now."

Thanks Denise! I don't do anything fancy, just keep things protected from rain....and yes, I do show. The larger plants stay in their show pots. Smaller specimens get pulled and put into larger growing pots.

You can see a tent in the background that I set up for the winter months
    {{gwi:468819}}

{{gwi:468820}}

{{gwi:468821}}
    {{gwi:468823}}

• ChemGardner
    12 years ago

Woolly Pocket fun:
    {{gwi:468825}}

Need some ID help here:
    Aloe arboresences (?) anybody know?
    Aeonium in the middle: my guess is Mint?
    Right and back left, aeonium Cyclops I think?
    Huernia spilling out
    Euphorbia Frost
    Bromeliad (first ever plant, it's a pup from an anniversary present from the wife)
    On left, some type of grapto

{{gwi:468827}}

{{gwi:468828}}

Furcraea
    Coleus
    Florida Gold Sedum, the only sedum that survived the 40" of rain we get in 3.5 mths here in SWFL.
    Fire sticks in background
    Devils Backbone far left and Senecio Kilimangaro peeking out (it hates the rain, I will bring it under cover next summer.)

{{gwi:468830}}

One of my new favorites: Dyckia Cherry Cola. It looks so alive, like it may start walking right out of the garden. It has two tiny pups, so it will be mounding soon.

{{gwi:468832}}

The flaming sword bromeliad planned its bloom according to our holiday schedule. How thoughtful:

{{gwi:468834}}

{{gwi:468836}}

It's about 4 ft tall after having grown about 14-18inches since June. I guess it likes rain, humidity and 90* temps.

{{gwi:468837}}

{{gwi:468838}}

{{gwi:468839}}

{{gwi:468840}}

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Beautiful Aeoniums there, ^ and I love the Dyckia 'Cherry Cola.' I have one 'Pineapple Dyckia,' and haven't spotted a single Dyckia around here since! Maybe in the spring I will. I want to snatch one up with some of those deeper hues. They're just stunning.

Denise, I think you asked about seeing the greenhouse, and I probably have a picture of the outside when it was first done and hardly filled (half is my mother's space for the winter...I'm always reminded of this fact, haha).

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:468574}}

• unprofessional
    12 years ago

No rot at all - perhaps it's just because none of the water actually comes in contact with the plants? It's very low maintenance and has made for some nice growth. Whenever any of them start to look a little dehydrated, I just put the top on for a few days to really kick up the humidity, and things just seem to do well. Looking forward to trying some other stuff the same way. Have one jade I'm trying to do as root-over-rock in the same way; appears to be working well so far.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Wow, awesome plants. Loved seeing them all!

This is a favorite scene of mine right now, first bloom on my Aloe ferox.

{{gwi:468841}}

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

These are all very amazing plants, thanks for starting it Denise.

@cactusmcharris re:Jan 8 at 16:03 post

- Bill Walton? A succulent fan?
    And where does one find that...what is it...Echiveria pulverizer 'Rodan'? I'd have to go to Japan I suppose.

tj

12 years ago

Love all of the pics sharing - since it's -8C outside (but very little snow), displays such as this keep me going, so thanks to y'all.

tj,

Yes, he is (he's got an ideal lot that borders on Balboa Park - he got some awesome landscape plants that day), and a more regular 7' former NBA star now star commentator you couldn't find.

• monabegonia
    12 years ago

@hoovb that garden is gorgeous! would love to see some more pics if you have any.

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

Amazing pics from everyone!

After several nights in the teens and over 60" of rain last year(2" this week) most of my plants are undercover right now. Here are a few pics that I was able to take.
    {{gwi:468842}}
    {{gwi:468844}}
    Last years photo!
    {{gwi:468845}}
    Most of potted plants stay in the building, here are a few that are inside the house.
    {{gwi:468847}}

Thanks,
    Chad

• Central_Cali369
    12 years ago

Hoobv! The color combination you have is amazing! I've tried the euphorbia 'sticks on fire' here many times. They hate our winter rain and end up rotting from the base. My ferox is still about a month away from flowering, but I also have those purple flowers blooming right now (I forget the name). I love the white/grey shrublet you have there as well. I grow mine alongside Mexican Feather Grass and Carex Testacea.

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    12 years ago

Keith,
    Could you post some close up pics of the big plants in front of the tent?

• caudex1
    12 years ago

whip,
    Will post what I can, some have been moved, repotted and one is at a university for propagation.

Cypho juttae, top shelf repotted
    {{gwi:468850}}

Fockea edulis, bottom shelf repotted (my Fockea angustifolia also)
    {{gwi:468852}}

Cypho currori repotted
    {{gwi:468854}}

• CorpsmanCooper
    12 years ago

My blooming pleiospilos nelii. I'm still very proud of it and I have a second one about to bloom as well!
    {{gwi:468856}}

My new Agave Montana
    {{gwi:468858}}

Fockea Crispa
    {{gwi:468859}}

And last but not least my Pachypodium Brevicaule. Believe it or not this one seems to be doing well! Flourishing even!
    {{gwi:468863}}