SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wildebloem

New member introduction

wildebloem
16 years ago

I am a new member who has read several of the threads with interest. Lots of great information about one of my favorite subjects.

--- I too have had problems with Elvas - in fact, I have yet to see a bloom from a bulb I bought several years ago. I bought a second bulb this year and wish I had read the thread before I did!

--- I found the thread on bulb sizes interesting. I believe someone mentioned the Veronica Read book? It has extensive information about bulb sizes I found helpful.

--- I have had very good results with Scheepers bulbs for several years and I have found the people easy to work with - but then, I have not yet needed to resolve a problem.

--- I have not had opportunity to check out the photographs. I am a photographer and always photograph each plant as it blooms, so I am really looking forward to seeing the visuals.

I grow most of my collection of about 100 bulbs in a mixed (mostly citrus trees and other tropicals) greenhouse I keep at 50-55F minimum in winter (which often also is the maximum during our colder time of year). Every year, I also grow some large bulbs in the house, but most of these are on marbles in the bottom of large glass cylinders. After one round, I grow them on in my usual manner (soil in terra cotta pots) in the greenhouse.

I have not tried to force my bulbs, I just let them grow and bloom when they choose. Some bloom several times a year, others bloom just once. I am allergic to pollen of just about anything, and with the relatively low greenhouse temperatures, I have refrained from trying to get them to bloom in winter (I have to remove the pollen from any bulbs I grow in the house). I intend to check out the posts and see what all I can do to encourage winter bloom under the conditions I have though - maybe grow them on the dry side through their cycle?

Comments (37)

Sponsored
More Discussions