SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bettylu_zone6a

WS containers - elevated or in contact with the soil?

bettylu_zone6a
14 years ago

While re-reading the instructions for WSing (since it is my nature to try to understand the how and why of everything) I noticed that the some of the pictures and instructions say to put the containers up off the ground.

Is there a reason for that? Or does it not make any difference, growing-wise and you all are just trying to keep the dogs/kids/? from messing with your containers?

I have also been trying to think of how I can take the best advantage of one of the few reliably sunny spots in my yard - the south side yard between the houses where I have a narrow raised bed against my foundation. Do you think putting the plants there would help them grow earlier?

Also, I bought a 3-shelf mini greenhouse that is deep enough to hold flats for $2 at a yard sale. It has a zippered clear cover that goes over the whole thing. Even though it was cheap, I don't know that I want to cut holes in it - so can I even use it to help with winter sowing? Or would I just use it without the cover?

I don't know what I am doing - I guess just thinking out loud and wondering if my ideas have any substance!

Thanks again!

BettyLu

Comments (13)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH