SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
agirlsgirl

10 new ws'ers + 10 questions = 10 packs of seeds!

agirlsgirl
15 years ago

Hi! In celebration of my last SASBE/BEAP offer going so well,I would like to do another. But this one will be slightly different and I hope also more educational!:)

OK so here it is:

- Please only respond if you are going to follow through. Since this offer is only open to 10 people,if you commit and don't follow through,someone else will miss out on the opportunity.So if you have too much on your plate right now,wait for the next one!:)

-This offer is for 10 brand new winter sowers.

-Answer all 10 "questions" and receive 10 packs of seeds! It does not matter if you answer the question "right".Many of them dont have a "right" answer. I am hoping this will be not only fun, but educational. I invite vet ws'ers to jump in with any advice they may have on the topics that arise!:)

Ok what you will have to do is:

-Post here,I will send you an email.Please make sure your email settings are set so I can reach you. If you dont know how to do this,you can go to the bottom of the page,there is a green band with links in it. Choose the "Member Pages" link,there you will find several links that allow you to make changes. Select the one to edit your personal settings. On that page at the bottom you will see your email options.

-Send me a bubble envy,addressed to me with the following items inside:

*3 stamps for the return trip. 2 stamps will get it to me.

*A note with your email address and gardenweb ID.

*A return address label,with your address on it.I will put this over my address on the outside of the envy to mail it back to you.

*Please try to mail within the week of signing up. I would like to get your seeds to you in time to winter sow them!:)

The Quiz!!!

1) Name a preferred writing instrument for marking containers.

2) How many inches of soil is suggested for best results?

3) What website can you go to for the best info on winter sowing?(Other than here!;)

4) What product is most widely used for keeping containers shut?

5) What do you do to ensure good drainage?

6) What do you do to ensure good air circulation?

7) Name 2 types of containers that can be used for winter sowing.

8) What is the best lighting to place your containers in?

9) What does "HOS" stand for?

10) Name one great resource for obtaining seeds.

The Seeds!!!

1-{{gwi:358307}}

2-Strawflower,short pink and white mix

3-{{gwi:358308}}

4-{{gwi:358309}}

5-{{gwi:358310}}

6-{{gwi:358311}}

7-{{gwi:358312}}

8-{{gwi:358313}}

9-{{gwi:358314}}

10-{{gwi:358315}}

Every envie I receive within the week of sign up will receive a bonus pack of Scabiosa Mix!:)

I look forward to sharing with you!:)

Angie

Comments (58)

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This is so much fun! :)
    Like I said, I will be emailing all those that have signed up today later on with my address.So no worries you will hear from me!:)

Ok we have 2 more!!! :)

1-pulldownclaw
    2-kiddo_1
    3-retiredprof
    4-susantexoma

• playintheyard
    15 years ago

Wow Angie great idea such a nice offer

• Related Discussions

have: 10 of 10 mystery sasbe

Q

Comments (13)
    Would I be #8? I am turning my backyard into a garden - rather than mow it all summer! I would like a mystery package - pretty much like mother nature! Thank you for the opportunity Tim
    ...See More

New here, 10 X 10 community garden potager ideas?

Q

Comments (5)
    ditto to the 2 raised beds, but not wider than 4'. The easiest beds to work for me by hand are 3'. It's handy to reach across & use fingers. Think about how you'll be balancing yourself to work the garden... Leaning over, standing up using a tool, on knees using hands? Fill the path with mulch material. (can be whatever you gather up & something different on top for looks -- cardboard, burlap, are good top layers if that's all you have) When you fill the path up, so it's no longer a ditch -- you can plant more closely to the edges of your garden & the mulch materials holds moisture. Plan how you'll water the plot before you plant. By hand with a bucket is manageable for your size plot, but plan on spending 1/2 hour doing it 2x a week or more depending on your summer climate/weather. A great watering tip for larger plants is to drill 2-3 small holes in the bottom of 2 liter soda bottles & bury them leaving the neck exposed so you have room to mulch, too. Then when you water also fill the bottle to slowly drip more water in your absence. It barely shows up once you're done with planting around it and once the plants grow will nearly be invisible. Plan ahead how you'll reach it. I like them at least 12" away from the stem of cucumber, tomato or squash. The roots will get what they need that way & I won't be disturbing them with bumping the bottle. Maybe even have that be your child's job to fill the jugs. My kids loved doing that when young. Another idea is to divide up the duties between the adults & child in your family. If you select some plants or an area to be yours to tend it encourages more participation because they own the area. Worked rather well when my children were young. Now hubby is helping more in the garden and selects some things to be his to tend. Makes it more fun for me, too! Someone is always -- in charge-- of the garden, so dividing up ahead of time can avoid some disappointment and arguments about how to -- work it--. Ask others at the community garden what they do -- should give you the local tips. Follow square foot gardening spacing & it will be easier for all of you to plant the garden together. OR just make short rows across your divided plot. Install the supports for your climbers (peas & beans) before you plant. Much easier that way. The simple supports work without breaking the bank. Scrap wood or tree prunings + brown twine can make beautiful supports once covered with beans no one will know you didn't buy the expensive obelisks. We don't bother to paint them because we don't want paint residues though our wood won't last as long. Even a wooden ladder can be put to use as a support. I use them and always get comments from other gardeners. The non-gardeners don't really like my repurposed materials and think of the rows instead of how I garden, so if you go that route be prepared for some comments from the other community gardeners. You don't list your zone. In my area we can grow a 2nd crop of cool season vegetables for fall - early spring harvesting. Very productive & less insect damage in the fall, plus the rain waters the garden for me. I wish your family the best in the gardening adventure. Remember that you will try some things this year, but you have next year, too. It takes years to develop your style & figure it all out to grow a lot of food for your family. When my kids were young we learned together. Then became teens & the garden was no longer an interest. Now my married daughter is growing a good amount of vegetables and fruits for their family. I would not have guessed she'd return to gardening when a teen. We had a lot of fun together as a family or just the kids and I playing games while we worked out there. Be creative with your child and they will work hard with you. I miss my little helpers now. Have fun together in the garden~ Corrine
    ...See More

NEW: May Seed Swap all will get at least 10 Bonus Packs

Q

Comments (33)
    Hi Everyone, I am closing this now so we can go ahead and get it underway. As usual, I will notify everyone as the packages arrive and again as they are mailed back to you. Please keep in mind that you'll be getting at least 10 extra packages back so please include enough postage. Also, I am hosting a month to month "Getting to know you swap" The details can be found at the Round Robin forum where this thread is located. It will kick off in the beginning of June. Your welcome to join us. Thanks, Kelly
    ...See More

Newbie seed project has begun 2014-15 10 pack ready

Q

Comments (23)
    I could really use some seeds as after I was here 3 or 4 years ago I fell ill and haven't been able to keep up. In addition, most of my seeds rotted last year that I tried to store, just wasn't up to it, went in hospital Thank you in advance. Micki777
    ...See More
  • syman
    15 years ago

If I am not too late, could you please count me in too...

1 sharpie with transparent tape over
    2 3-4"
    3 www.wintersown.org
    4 winter tape
    5 holes on the bottom
    6 lids off
    7 milk jugs
    8 Part shade, but not sure
    9 hunk-o-seedlings
    10 Prairie Moon

• User
    15 years ago

Oh, I hope I'm not too late. Count me in. I'm finishing dinner and will be starting on the hardy annuals that some of the nice people here have sent me. Here are my answers:

1. Pencil or Sharpie
    2. 3 to 4 inches
    3. www.wintersown.org
    4. Duct tape
    5. Drill holes in bottom
    6. Pokw holes/leave top off container
    7. Milk jugs and 2 liter soda bottles
    8. Dappled shade
    9. Hunk of Seedlings
    10. Generous people on this site who shares their seeds/Value Seeds!

• soonergrandmom
    15 years ago

Ooh, nice list.

1. Sharpie
    2. 3 inches
    3. www.wintersown.org
    4. Duct tape
    5. Poke holes in bottom
    6. Leave top off and poke holes in bottom
    7. Milk Jug and 2 liter bottles
    8. Outdoors (probably dappled shade is best)
    9. Hunk of seedlings
    10. www.valueseeds.com

• paradisa
    15 years ago

This will be my first time winter sowing I actually started yesterday with some daylily seeds, echinacea, and hibiscus. I'm in zone 5.
    Her goes my guess at the answers:
    1.Sharpie marker
    2.3"
    3.Wintersown.org
    4.Duct tape
    5.Poke holes in bottom
    6.Leave cap off
    7.milk jugs, juice bottles
    8.South side, sun
    9.Haven't O'nuff Seeds ????
    10.Gardenweb

• pitimpinai
    15 years ago

This sounds fun. :-) You are sweet, Angie.

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok! We have 8!!!! This is awesome,I wonder if we can get 10 by the days end? :)

1-pulldownclaw
    2-kiddo_1
    3-retiredprof
    4-susantexoma
    5-syman
    6-karenillinois
    7-soonergrandmom
    8-paradisa

Thanks Annette and pitimpinai,we have to feed the budding addiction!....lol...:)

I am going to wait a bit longer to see if anymore people sign up before I send the email with my address. For now I am making seed envies and will start packing seeds up tonight!:)

Thanks to all that have responded,I cant wait to discuss your answers! You all did a great job!:)

• dobiemom
    15 years ago

Thank you for this opportunity! I hope there is still a spot left. :)

1) Name a preferred writing instrument for marking containers.

sharpie marker
    2) How many inches of soil is suggested for best results?
    3-4"

3) What website can you go to for the best info on winter sowing?(Other than here!;)
    wintersown.org

4) What product is most widely used for keeping containers shut?
    duct tape

5) What do you do to ensure good drainage?
    poke up to 5 drainage holes in the bottom of your containers

6) What do you do to ensure good air circulation?
    poke holes in the top of your containers or use a bottle that has an open top

7) Name 2 types of containers that can be used for winter sowing.
    2 L pop bottle, takeout container

8) What is the best lighting to place your containers in?
    partial sun/shade

9) What does "HOS" stand for?
    hunk of seedlings

10) Name one great resource for obtaining seeds.
    seed trading

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Then there was 9!!!:)

1-pulldownclaw
    2-kiddo_1
    3-retiredprof
    4-susantexoma
    5-syman
    6-karenillinois
    7-soonergrandmom
    8-paradisa
    9-dobiemom

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

syman,you do not have any of your email settings set so I can contact you with the details for the offer. Please set your email preferences so I can email you or please send me an email,so I have your email addy! Thanks!:)

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok,I need one more....who will it be?:)

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have emailed everyone that has signed up so far except,syman!:)

Oh #10 where are you? :)

• moon458
    15 years ago

Can I be # 10??

My ansewrs
    1.China pen
    2.3-4"
    3.Wintersown.org
    4.Duct tape
    5.Poke holes in bottom
    6.Leave cap off
    7.milk jugs, soda bottles
    8.Dappled shade ??
    9.Hunk of seedlings ????
    10.Gardenweb/winter sowing

Donna Mae, who is a grandma to a baby girl, Today!!!

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Woo Hoo Donna Mae! And congrats on your new grandbaby!:)

Ok,the seed offer is closed,but the thread is wide open!:)

1-pulldownclaw
    2-kiddo_1
    3-retiredprof
    4-susantexoma
    5-syman
    6-karenillinois
    7-soonergrandmom
    8-paradisa
    9-dobiemom
    10-moon458

Answers to the questions:

Ok,here is the "key" to the quiz!:) I am by no means a ws expert,this is only year two for me. These "answers" are all observations, and some experience, of mine while reading here at this forum. I am really hoping other suggestions will be made by more experienced ws'ers. I would love this thread to be put to good use while you guys wait for your seeds!:)

1) Paint Pen ( My preference), Sharpie (watch can fade in sun), Aluminimum tape, pencil ( I tried this once,it did not last for me),china pen
    (*Note - I used Rustoleum brand paint pens last season,I salvaged containers from the previous years frenzy,well I figured I could use a bit of nail polish remover and wipe away what was marked,well it did not work! I would think these are very good paint pens!;)

2) 3"-4", I am making it just a bit deeper for perennials with tap roots this year.( I figure they will be in there awhile,I can not put them out there until they are larger here, because the pill bugs will get them!;)

3) wintersown.org....of course!!!! Thanks Trudi! :D

4)Duct tape is the most widely used from my observation,although people use other tapes and some use wire or string to tie them shut. There is also another method,were the containers fit together and stay together without any fasteners! (I cannot find the thread!:( )

5)Poke Holes and some suggest the "side bottom" also,just in case the bottom holes get clogged.

6)Leave caps off,poke holes in top of containers and making vents at the top.(I like the vents because you can control the air flow better)

7) If it can hold 3" of soil,you can see your finger through it and it has head room for your seedlings,you can ws in it! Some varieties are an exception to the soil depth and headroom rule,alyssum for instance, doesnt need the soil to be as deep and doesnt need as much head room.

8) Part Shade,Dappled shade is what I have seen suggested the most.Even full sun loving plants can fry as sprouts when inside a ws container on a warm sunny day.

9)"Hunk O Seedlings"...although I liked the suggestion of "Have 'onough seeds?"...lol...

10)wintersown.org,Seed Exchange,Round Robin,Various sites ( Be sure to check out GW"s "Rate and Review Vendors" forum.),bakemom,and other various SASBE offers......the woods,your local zoo...lol...JK!;)

All but one have been contacted. I will let you know when your envies arrive!:)

• ajpa
    15 years ago

What an informative thread!

The pen question interests me. I have so far tried masking tape cut into the number (too long to make), acrylic paint, and a laundry marker.

My first 9 jugs I used masking tape to coz I didn't have duct tape.

And I didn't know that rule of thumb in #7 about "if you can see your fingers through it". Cool -- as soon as hubby's lactaid jug is empty I will try it.

My jugs are on my deck which gets morning sun -- I'm hoping it's ok. It's a great spot in terms of wind protection -- last week when the wind was blowing off everyone's shingles not one of my jugs fell over.

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Maria,I am so glad you are finding this thread useful! :)
    The morning sun is fine for your containers,it doesnt get as hot in the morning,especially here in PA...lol..I keep most of mine on my deck also!:)

• paradisa
    15 years ago

I'm so excited about winter sowing. Was skeptical at first, but decided to jump right in.

I am using the milk jugs and juice bottles like the ones cranberry and grape juice come in, also have some arizona iced tea ones. My Question is if I leave the tops off do I have to poke more air holes in them too?

I have some small plastic hinged boxes that fruit(grapes) come in with the holes on the bottom and top. Can I use those if I tape up some of the top holes and around the edge where the top and bottom parts meet?

Also I was wondering what the advantages of winter sowing were versus starting them early inside or in a greenhouse?

I have winter sowed some seeds already. A very nice GW member gave me some daylily seeds that were starting to sprout - so I winter sowed them along with hibiscus, echinacea and gaillardia. I have them on my back patio in the full sun till late afternoon. I'm in zone 5. Should I move them or will they be alright till they sprout in the spring? Will the full sun make them sprout too soon?

Does it matter if the dirt and seeds in the jugs freeze? Or is that the point? We are supposed to get more snow thursday.

Anything else I need to do other than make sure the soil is moist once a month?

Is there a list of what kinds of seeds can be winter sowed? Can I sow tomatos?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I'm doing this right.

Thanks,
    Lorraine

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Lorainne! :)

Yes I would go ahead and some holes,or you could wait to be sure there isnt sufficient ventilation. I am a fan of a vent because you can cut it,keep it closed and when you need the air ,open it accordingly. Trudi assured me last year that I would know if I didnt have proper ventilation,and she was right. The vents were great because you can open them a little or a lot!:)

I didn't have great luck with those berry containers,they dried out very fast. Maybe someone else will pop in and say they had great luck with those,but I did not! I am glad I only experimented with 2 or 3 and used seeds I had loads of.Another issue is head room,some seedlings grow very fast.
    But when you are scrounging for containers later on,you may decide the extra attention is worth it.

WS plants do seem hardier and take more abuse,they are way better than any store bought plant and I think that is mainly because you are growing them locally. Starting under lights/GH is great for things that have a long time until maturity,some tender perennials may not bloom or bloom very late in the season if started too late. I had great results with both methods last year. Also remember you do not have to harden off ws plants!I think someone mentioned GH/indoors is fastest,ws is second fastest and direct sowing is last. The majority of my plants will be started via ws,but being a shorter season,there are a few I will start under lights! ;)

As for the daylilys,I sowed seeds last season using the ws method and had awesome results,but my seeds were not sprouted. I dont know if yours being sprouted will be a problem. If you do not get an answer on this thread,start a new one and ask that direct question,I am sure someone will be able to give you an answer!:)

Freezing is great!...lol..When the soil freezes it is the same condition the seeds would suffer in the "wild".Of course some seeds would not want to be frozen,but those are ones we dont ws!;)

You can find an awesome list of seeds that can be ws in your zone at wintersown.org,there is a great data base there. I printed out the data for my zone last year and found it was super handy!

I know many people here ws their tomatoes with great results. I start mine under lights because I am super impatient when it comes down to maters...lol..I am thinking your zone and how long of a growing season you have would come into play on that one.If you have a tomato that will mature in 80 days,you have that to think about that when sowing your seeds. Do a search of this forum for tomatoes,there are some great discussions on the subject!:)

Dont be sorry about asking questions,how else will you learn? :)

Please if anyone feels I have put out any misinformation here speak up! All views are welcomed,I think the more points of view there are the better these new ws'ers will understand!:)

• paradisa
    15 years ago

Thanks for answering my questions.
    I feel more comfortable with ws now.
    I received a few more jugs and if we don't get too much snow tomorrow will go out and winter sow some more. Would like to try some tomatos.
    Thanks again,
    Lorraine

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi! The first envy arrived today! I will post as they come in!:)
    1-pulldownclaw
    2-kiddo_1
    3-retiredprof
    4-susantexoma
    5-syman
    6-karenillinois
    7-soonergrandmom
    8-paradisa - Envy arrived to me today,Thank you!:)
    9-dobiemom
    10-moon458

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I received 5 envies today and sent one out!:)

1-pulldownclaw -envy arrived to me today!thank you!
    2-kiddo_1 -envy arrived to me today!thank you!
    3-retiredprof -envy arrived to me today!thank you!
    4-susantexoma -envy arrived to me today!thank you!
    5-syman
    6-karenillinois
    7-soonergrandmom - envy arrived to me today!thank you!
    8-paradisa - seeds are on the way!:)
    9-dobiemom
    10-moon458

• syman
    15 years ago

Sent my envelope yesterday,hope it reaches you quick...cant wait..

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Sy! Your seeds are all packed up and ready to go! As soon as your envy arrives they will go right out and hopefully be there to you within a few days so you can get them ws'ed!:)

• moon458
    15 years ago

Mine is on it's way...

Donna Mae

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I mailed more seeds today! :)

1-pulldownclaw -seeds are on the way!:)
    2-kiddo_1 -seeds are on the way!:)
    3-retiredprof -seeds are on the way!:)
    4-susantexoma -seeds are on the way!:)
    5-syman
    6-karenillinois
    7-soonergrandmom - seeds are on the way!:)
    9-dobiemom
    10-moon458

Donna Mae,I am sure it will be here by Monday,sometimes they take awhile. As soon as it gets here it will go right back out...with seeds in it of course! :)
    I hope everyone is having a pleasant weekend! :)

• User
    15 years ago

Hi agirlsgirl,

Just checking to see if you received my envie yet. It was mailed on Tuesday! I have my containers ready to go...
    Thanks,
    Karen

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I received 2 more envies today syman and moon458! Your seeds are in the envies and ready for tomorrows mail. I will email to confirm! :)

Karen,it hasn't arrived just yet,I bet it will arrive tomorrow. Sometimes it takes them awhile for some reason,I will let you know as soon as it arrives! :)

Here is an update:

1-pulldownclaw -seeds are on the way!:)
    2-kiddo_1 -seeds arrived!:)
    3-retiredprof -seeds are on the way!:)
    5-syman- envy arrived to me today!:)
    6-karenillinois
    9-dobiemom
    10-moon458 - envy arrived to me today!:)

• paradisa
    15 years ago

Angie,

I received your seeds today. Thank you so much!!! I am so excited. The only problem is what to winter sow first as I only have 4 jugs saved! I keep telling the kids drink milk!! drink milk!! I think It's gonna be scabosia, coreopsis, amaranthus, and malva. I'll have to make some calls for more jugs!
    Thanks again for the seeds - I love them all. I do have to look up Arcotis Venusta yet, I don't have a clue - but I'm sure I'll love it.
    I'll keep you updated on my winter sowing adventure.

Thank you,
    Lorraine
    Paradisa

• pulldownclaw
    15 years ago

Angie, got your seeds yesterday! Thanks so much for spending the time to enable us crazed noobs! ( : >P)

I'm now trying to figure out what to sow first, looking up the hardy annuals on Trudi's site, gonna sow tonight!

Thanks again!

-Noah (Pulldownclaw)

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi all!:)
    I got word of a few envies arriving safely at their new loving homes! Thanks so much for checking in with me,you guys have been GREAT! :)

Lorraine,uh-oh! You better find yourself some containers...lol..have any friends or family with kids? Neighbor? bakemom says she gets great containers from recycling night using the excuse "School Project" she suggests you have a kid tag along!;)
    Kris,kiddo_1, has adventured to larger scale "container snagging" by hitting the local recycling drop off bins! :)
    Don't worry you will find some!:)
    Here is some info on the Arctotis venusta,it is a great plant and so very pretty,it has a very striking presence! :)
    I would love to hear your updates! Enjoy your seeds! :)

Noah,you are so very welcome,I am so glad you like your new seeds! It is so fun looking up new plants and planning what you are going to ws,enjoy yourself!:)

I know I said they all were annual,but the Malva is ,Malva sylvestris 'Moravia' it is a biennial perennial,blooming prolifically in it's first year! :)
    This type of Malva is more commonly found as Malva sylvestris subsp. mauritiana.
    Sorry about that,I wasn't sure on that one until just recently myself! :)

Ok here is an update:
    1-pulldownclaw -seeds arrived!:)
    3-retiredprof -seeds arrived!:)
    5-syman- seeds are on the way!:)
    6-karenillinois
    8-paradisa - seeds arrived!:)
    9-dobiemom
    10-moon458 - seeds are on the way!:)

• soonergrandmom
    15 years ago

WooHoo - The seeds arrived today. Thank you so much for sharing with the newbies. I have just been out uncovering some of my things today because I have lots of sprouts. I think I am officially out of the newbie category now and have a pretty good stash. Only a few more perrenials to plant.......and then there are all of these annuals. I'm hooked.

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Awesome Carol! Thanks for checking in!:)
    Congrats on the sprouts,as spring draws near you will see more and more of them! :)

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

4-susantexoma -seeds arrived!:)
    6-karenillinois
    7-soonergrandmom - seeds arrived!:)
    9-dobiemom

• karendee
    15 years ago

What an informative thread. I have been debating wintersowing some seeds this year. I usually do not plant until after Mother's day here so I think I still have time.

I just need to get some soil and containers... Time to raid the recycle bin :)

Karen

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Karens envy arrived today!:)

6-karenillinois- envy arrived today!!!:D
    9-dobiemom - have not heard from

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Karendee! I am glad you have found this thread informative! Glad to hear you decided to join this madness! Good luck and if you need some seeds let me know via email! ;)

• karendee
    15 years ago

thanks agirlsgirl!

Karen

• dobiemom
    15 years ago

Wow I can't believe my envie hasn't arrived yet. :( I hope it gets there soon. If all goes well I will post some pics of the beautiful flowers I grow with your seeds in the summer Angie. Thanks again for offering to help out us newbies! :)

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

dobiemom ,I forgot your envy was coming from Canada,so I am sure that is why there is a delay! ;)
    I will let you know the moment it arrives!:)

I am excited for all of you,you guys are going to have such a wonderful gardening experience this year! Last year was my first season and I could not believe the results! I was a direct sower before ws'ing,so the idea of having sprouts earlier and the sprouts being protected from the critters and elements,was very intriguing to me. I am so glad I tried it,because not only did my gardens look better than they ever have,it cost me very little to accomplish it all! :)
    I wish you all a great first season,I look forward to reading your posts on how wonderful it has all worked out for you and of course to seeing pics of all the beauty you have created in a milk jug! ;)

Here is an update:
    6-karenillinois- seeds are on the way!:)
    9-dobiemom - envy is on it's way to me

• moon458
    15 years ago

My seeds arrived today. Yipee.
    I went thru the links of the pics these seeds that are at the beginning of this thread.
    I really, really like the ARCTOLIS VENUSTA. I have never seen these. I have an all white moon garden (the full moon in Aug will spotlight it best). These will fit nicely in that garden along with the poppies. Thank you so much Angie!!!

Donna Mae

• moon458
    15 years ago

Another ???

Can these be sown now??

Donna Mae

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Donna Mae! I am so glad you are happy with your seeds! I really like the Arctotis too. It is not only beautiful,but a really well behaved strong growing plant also. I had blooms from them from shortly after they were planted out, all the way into fall. They never stopped! :)
    I sowed mine in March last year and had sprouts sometime in April. I read that it is considered a half hardy annual. So if you get sprouts and you get really low temps you may want to keep an eye on it!:)
    Thanks for letting me know your seeds arrived,have a great first year ws'ing! :)

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oops! forgot the update! :P

10-moon458 - seeds arrived!:)

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Syman received his seeds! Thanks for letting me know they arrived Sy!:)

5-syman- seeds arrived!:)

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi all,Karenillionois has received her seeds. It was a few days ago,I didnt have any computer time to do an update sooner,sorry! I hope you all are having fun with your new seeds and thanks to all of you for being so thoughtful and prompt!:)

6-karenillinois- seeds arrived!:)
    9-dobiemom - Still waiting on the usps to deliver her envy to me,they are taking their good ole time!
    10-moon458 - seeds arrived!:) I also want it to be known that dobiemom did send her envy out in a very timely manner. It is coming from Canada and I am hoping that is why it is taking so long, and that the USPS didn't lose it out there somewhere! I am hoping it will be here by Saturday,so she can have her seeds before summer!:)
    Have a great day all of you! :)

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

6-karenillinois- seeds arrived!:)
    9-dobiemom - ENVY IS HERE!!!! :)

• dobiemom
    15 years ago

My seeds arrived! YAY! Thank you so much for the abundance of seeds... I was completely surpised and so excited by them all! I can't wait to see them all in bloom. I will definitely send you some pics once they have grown! :) I can't thank you enough!!

• paradisa
    15 years ago

Hi All!!!

It does work!
    Got my first sprouts on the first day of spring. Jug #43 Coreopsis! They are teeny tiny but I'm so excited.
    Thanks again Angie for all the seeds.

Paradisa

• dobiemom
    15 years ago

Some of mine have sprouted too! Thanks Angie!! I can't wait to see them when they're in bloom. :)

Sponsored