SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iiiitara

Sanguinea's.

iiiitara
15 years ago

It has been said so many times by people that they are discouraged from trying sanguinea because of the heat/humidity where they live. I always try to disprove that myth by stating that you can get them to bloom in areas where the temperature regulary exceeds 100Ë in the summer/fall, such as Southern California where i live. You just have to wait for fall or winter. Also I think another common problem a lot of people have is overwatering. I know I did with these plants when i first tried to grow them and gave up on them 7 or 8 years ago. Good thing I decided to disprove the myth to myself last year.

You can grow them people!!!!!!!!!

I am.

{{gwi:447675}}

{{gwi:447677}}

Comments (35)

• karmahappytoes
    15 years ago

iiiitara, first you need to take a serious look at those leaves and go to ABADS to check out the virus page, please.
    Sorry but I can't email you direct as there is no email in your profile.

Secondly, if one does attempt to grow them please read the brug/datura bible. These do need special conditions.

• iiiitara
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Karmna, I know this plant is Virused. It contracted it from ' 621 ' which i believe all of them in this country are virused now. I do not keep my Zunacs at this location.

These virused plants are used for breeding, As I believe all of the yellow sanguinea's in this country are virused as well. I believe as a general rule seed should not transfer the virus. Especially if the seed coat is removed and then the seed is soaked in a mild hydrogen peroxide solution.

All seedlings will be grown out at the location far away from these plants, and once I can get back to plants that are identical to the originals, these virused plants will be destroyed.

I have plenty of access to the mother of this plant. So I can always gain clean cuttings in the future. But right now it is pointless, because I am trying to breed for a new '621' look alike and a new yellow sanguinea so I have to maintain these virused plants.

Also, these plants have not been fertilized for two months because it has been so cold, and growth has kind of slowed. But, now that the temperatures are getting back to normal I will put them back on heavy fertilization, and the viruses will not show.

I am not selling these to anyone. So please don't worry. I know what I'm doing.

• Related Discussions

Sanguinea versus Mutabilis

Q

Comments (6)
    Maurizio, very interesting discussion. I just wonder, though, what proof we have that either of these roses is a "pure" anything. We have no knowledge of the hybridization that went into the breeding of these roses, and what crosses were made. The speculation at least for Mutabilis is that it's not a wild rose. We don't have any idea about how old Mutabilis is, so what can we say about how it was created, and what went into the making of that creation? I'm not a rosarian, so this is not in any way a learned speculation on my part. I just wondered whether we needed to take into consideration that either or both roses have mixed parentage. Ingrid
    ...See More

Brugmansia sanguinea on a cloudy day.

Q

Comments (6)
    Brug "Charles Grimaldi" is the largest and most fragrant that I know of. Easy to grow..just stick a cutting in the ground and water. Easy as that. The B.sanguinea is tricky to keep. ONE drying out and its done for. And over 85-90f can do them in if not just about soaked in water. But,its a beauty.
    ...See More

Restrepia sanguinea

Q

Comments (2)
    The whole plant. Second year blooming, has 8 flowers right now. Nick
    ...See More

'Miss Lowe' or 'Sanguinea' -- how to tell them apart?

Q

Comments (24)
    Perplexing isn't it? I can show you the rose I have as 'Bengal Crimson' which is the same as grown in the Chelsea Physic Garden, if that's the same one as your supplier Rose Petals has. I see on the link they state that's where it came from. I've had this rose about 15 years covering two gardens, but it seems to me that I get both the larger growing 'Sanguinea' and the short growing 'Miss Lowe's' on the same bush, all according to how I cultivate it. In the first garden it grew just 2 to 3 foot tall without ever getting any bigger, that was in full sun on dryish soil and was there for several years, a group of 3 actually. The same plant grown in deep moist rich soil in my 2nd garden here [a small creek runs under the bed], the rose shot up to about 8 x 4 and wasn't stopping, everything about it was larger, I wasn't expecting that, and I had to move it, and now it's back in another dryish spot, less rich. I did cut it back to about 2 foot at the move, and it's stayed that way ever since, I feel it's reverted back to 'Miss Lowe's' type again, and smaller in all its parts. The blooms, foliage everything.. I'm still waiting, and hoping it goes back to ''Bengal Crimson'/Sanguinea' type again, but I'm not sure it's going to do that. No sign so far, and it's in bloom right now, as is typical of this rose at this time of year. Make of that what you will. It's just my observation. If it does decide to shoot up to 8 foot again I'll let you know Christopher.. 'Bengal Crimson' in rich conditions [the creek flows under] ..the same, as a climber through Ceanothus, it got twice this size before I had to move it. ..after the move, and it's had about 18 months to recover. Maybe not long enough, but as of now it still looks like this, about 2 foot and in bloom. To me this is measly, grumpy 'Miss Lowe's'. I do wonder if whether she grew it in dry soil in her garden in South London, one of the driest parts of this country, probably similar conditions to mine away from my creek bed. At RHS Wisley in Surrey, I saw it about 3 foot, not much more.
    ...See More
  • iiiitara
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did a side by side comparison of your orange sanguinea, and it looks like the flowers about the same color.

I just posted this so that people know they can grow them in areas where it gets brutally hot in the summer. It makes a nice winter bloomer, when all your other Brugs are dormant.

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Could you please post a picture of a yellow Sang? I would love to see one...Thank you

• karmahappytoes
    15 years ago

iiiitara, please do not compare a photo with a live plant.
    Your photo appears more orange and not the yellow ours is but again that is just looking at your photo on the computer and not the real thing?
    It is my understanding 24 feet is to close? I would love to hear your input on the distance that is what you keep them and are these in an enclosed area? See it's learning that is important.
    It's my understanding that a mild hydrogen peroxide solution isn't enough? Thank you for sharing as some folks wouldn't keep a virus plant to hybridize. It's interesting to here this added information.

Again I'm just a simple housewife with a passion??

• iiiitara
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well....

My zunacs are kept at a location with no other solanaceous plants on the lot approximately 3 miles away. I would assume that is far enough.

But I think the most important question here is, Is it your understanding that all Brugmansia's carry a virus gene? And if so..... I would assume that means all plants are potentially at risk for showing the virus, and how would you keep the virus at bay?

Thanks.

• karmahappytoes
    15 years ago

iiiitara,
    It is my understanding and a published fact that they do all carry a virus gene and the only way to make sure this doesn't come out is with proper care and keeping the critters at bay in order not to spread the virus from one plant to another. It is also my understanding if there is a virus plant one can only protect ones collection if those that are virused are put in what they called a contained environment. Then there is the watching how one moves in and out of this area, and the only equipment that is used stays in this contained area. More can be stated but to some this would be considered a no no and we really shouldn't be giving newbies stuff as some take this as gospel.
    Also it's getting to the time and place where I'll only be in here first thing in the morning and it's really hurts when I hear voices (ya I'm gifted) calling from the greenhouse. So that you know I'm getting really busy and will only be here once a day until fall. This way I don't wear out the wrist sooner than the Dr. want. I can be reached by email if it's important as that is left up all day, this goes for everyone.

• grrrnthumb
    15 years ago

There has been some speculation that type of mottling on sanguinea leaves is perhaps cureable instead of a virus, and perhaps more related to growing conditions; warmer than thier ideal.
    Tonny-Surrow Hansen's new "E-Book about Angel's Trumpets" goes into that some.
    - Tom

• karmahappytoes
    15 years ago

grrrnthumb, so this would be simular in what we are seeing with some of the double and triples? As Calla was suggesting a long time ago? Sorry but those of us that aren't at ABADS or at BGI any more don't get this information and for one of us to say this since we are not experts would sound crazy?? I have suppected this for sometime, do thank Tonny for this. Now back to rubbing Brug juice on the wrist.

• knotz
    15 years ago

Ok, I'm confused by all this since I'm a fairly new brug grower...I'm just gonna sit back and watch my brugs grow and smile at their beautiful blooms and wonderful scent :)

I'll leave all the "complicated" growing stuff to you experts...lol

knotz

• iiiitara
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I saw that in Tonny's book. Then I skipped to another part, then i went and did something else and forgot about it. The problem I have with this is that there are plenty of sanguinea's around southern california here that do not have that mottling even when it is warm. And some of these grow in worse conditions than my backyard. I have seen the mother plant so smothered by spider mites that it looked like there was one giant spider web over it. Still... No signs of virus. This plant seemed to only contract it once i put 621 in the ground next to it. I admit, they do not show any signs if you take care of them well. But, that would mean that the virus could be transferred regardless of whether the virus is showing or not. Of course That is if it is a transferrable virus and not a virus gene.

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Dont worry knotz I am still waiting for the yellow sang picture... Not to be a smart a%% but would like to see one..

• iiiitara
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rosepedal. There are plenty of pictures of yellow sanguineas in the ABADS species gallery. I believe grrrnthumb posted a link in karma's newest vulcanicola thread.

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

I dont belong to ABADS. Thank you I will check Karma's website...I dont understand why we cant have a picture of it here for all of us to enjoy on GW...We are a small Brug community eventhough there are three major groups! It would show some cooperation between the groups to share as you have done with your knowledge and I do appreciate that. I hope to acquire the orange sang to see how it does in my environment. With my science degree I can appreciate the details required in growing it and respecting the environment that is required. I look forward to learning more as the same with adeniums. Thank you for coming over from BGI to share with us other brug growers... :)

• daniellalell
    15 years ago

Rosepedal, you dont have to be a member of ABADS to see the gallery, here is a link....

Here is a link that might be useful: ABADS GALLERY

• daniellalell
    15 years ago

lol, I forgot to say..diseased, virused or not..she's purdy!
    and congrats on getting her to bloom! Someday I'll have a sang...someday...

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Daniella, Lol I would love to learn more about growing her out without the disease. It is being said on a different forum that it might not be due to disease but the actual growing requirements that the plant is growing in. ie. winter, no light and no feeding. I would love to see if the leaves can become physically able to show no deformities as Karma has so nicely stated (diseased). Why would we want to grow a plant knowingly that has been contaminated with a disease? What is the point? Just to say we have it in our possesion. Whoopy te do da day. I have a rare daylilly that is rare to me LOL. Give me a break. Grow the plant and gather seeds in a proper environment and start over. No disrespect here. Please just making my own comments on the subjest. Sometimes we wrap our heads aroung something that is just not so important and than we lose respect from our collegues. And everyone here (family) knows I cant spell but damn good at math. I encourage knowledage and arguing that is how are country was made believe it or not. Men fighting for their opinions to win. Let keep this scientific and not opinions...Send it to a lab pool your money and find out what the disease is...If there is one...Barb

• iiiitara
    Original Author
    15 years ago

rosepedal,

If most or all Brugmansia are inherently virused, as stated by Karma, then keeping this plant around would not be a bad thing because it could be brought back to ultimately healthy conditions. However, as stated before, I keep these virused plants around to breed for new virus free plants of the exact same appearance. Then I will dispose of the virused ones. I do not keep these plants just to say i have them in my possesion. But they are special plants nonetheless, and I would like to preserve their appearance in new virus-free plants in the future. Unless of course all plants are virused inherently. Either way. You will see in a few months after I start fertilizing again regularly and the nights warm up a little more.

The new growth on this sanguinea does not appear to be virused, though I know it is hiding in there because of the appearance of the older leaves.
    I promise, heavy fertilization will make it appear normal.

I will post a pic of the younger leaves tomorrow when I can get my camera working.

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Thank you for responding I appreciate that. Thank you for stating that in Gw forum and not being snied. I believe being from a scientific field we should learn what is causing the leaves to deform (looking diseased). I am having problems with orange infusion. Is it because we crossed the breed so much? Like dogs or what. We will not know until there are actual lab tests performed before we make conclusions. The scientist will tell us.

Here we have this remarkaable plant in our possesion lets work together and figure out the problem. I dont understand pardon my ignorance how can we propagate a plant for breeding when we dont know what is actually causing the deformaility, I am really not trying to be mean. I think you are lucky to have been given this privelage along with Karma to have them. Lets be responsible and send some leaves to a lab..Come on guys lets get with it here....And please any advice on orange infusion is greatly appreciated. We are all having problems with this great Brug we all love....May I ask Your first name mine is Barb

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

I also wanted to say a warm friendly welcome to BGI Members joining us. I see there is no activity on that site... Finally we are together as one...Brug lovers unite! Happy Martin Luther King day....

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

I would appreciate you hybridzers share a picture with everyone on the yellow...For everyone to enjoy! Why be so quiet about it.It will be on ebay soon..Thank you for being a part of a global community where everyone can enjoy its beauty.. :)

• iiiitara
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Disclaimer:

The point of this thread is not to discourage people from growing sanguinea, vulcanicola, etc. !

The point of this thread is to encourage people who think they can't do it, that it is possible.:

• karyn1
    15 years ago

I've been trying to get sangs to bloom for about 7 years so far with no luck but I keep trying. lol Every year that I don't get a bloom I say that I'm going to get rid of them but then a little voice says "maybe next year". I do hope I can get blooms on my Culebra and Vulcanicola. Those seem to be growing much better here then the sangs ever did. Hopefully I'll see blooms this coming season.

• lopaka_mikale
    15 years ago

iiiitara... You have been successful growing in extreme, dry heat, there in Southern California. What about the humidity? We have about 7 months of high humidity, with temps in the low 90's, here in South Florida. An experienced grower in North Carolina, tells me he loses Sanguineas by July, because of the heat. What changes to the typical Brugmansia care would be necessary to give Sangs a fighting chance here?

Thanks,
    Bob

• coleus23
    15 years ago

o.k. I have red sanguinea.I started them in from seeds in the late summer.They are about a foot tall. They are slow growing.They have beuatiful green leaves,they look fine.So I'm confussed about this viruses thing.Should i be worried . I live in south florida.And it does get hot here.Will it really take forever for them to bloom. Are they worth keeping?

Denise

• karmahappytoes
    15 years ago

iiitara, no need for larger print if you want folks to continue the discussion. Honey is much better, please. I know you can do this and you want folks to try them.

lopaka_mikale, humidity is a big concern and there are things one can do. Our weather last year was extremely dry and not our normal. One thing that can be done is placement on the north side or shady side of the house.
    Do make sure there is plenty of air movement, maybe even a small fan set on low? You want to have air flow, wind gusts. Do not crowd these and watch to not to allow them to dry out to the point they droop. We only used rain water and didn't fertilize them, the pots were half sunk so they got what then needed from the soil.
    Yes, I would at least try growing one to see what you can do with them. Remember these do grow slower and allow them to do what they want is the best method we have found with them. More from our research will come this fall as I don't think one year of research is an honest way to do business.

• iiiitara
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think one of the biggest problems people have is overwatering. You have to remember that just because you see a plant drooping it does not mean it needs water. Sometime it can mean it already has too much water.

Also, If you have black pots in the sun It can really heat up the root ball and that is a big No No.

Also, as Karma said in her recent vulcanicola thread. Sun until about one in the afternoon then shade is a really good piece of advice.

• karmahappytoes
    15 years ago

Hey iiitara, that is a great point about the black pot. In our cast in the circle bed with the soil higher, and the plants in tree sleeves we would always note the dryness and the drooping so we did know it was time to water. Being one with a plant is hard to relate to other growers and knowing what signs to look for, one only has to learn by growing one. This year we will be sliding them out of the tree sleeves and putting them into pots that have no bottoms, then in the fall they will be going into the pickle buckets. We did this with the Mom plant and I'll tell you wow did she do well. These too I'll not do the pot in a pot method. Thank you for the discussion.

• grrrnthumb
    15 years ago

Barb there is a nice yellow sang grown by Dr. Alistair Hay of ABADS at the link down below.

Karma sorry I don't know the details, I'm just not a disease expert by any means.

Matt one thing to keep in mind is that it doesn't have to be a virus to be contagious. Fungal, for example, could be fully cureable, and only show up on some of the less happy plants. A super-rough shortcut with brugs is to be most worried about potential possible virus problems on the trunk & stems, and slightly less about leaves.

-Tom

Here is a link that might be useful: sanguinea_Midas

• iiiitara
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Tom,

I know that if there is a problem on the stems they're pretty much done for. That's why originally I gave up on this sect. before. My original inca princess back in 2000, gave it to my charles grimaldi and both promptly died. Then I received a horrible sanguinea in 2001 and it had the worst stems I have ever seen. It promptly died. But I know I also overwatered the potted ones, and underwatered the ones in the ground back then as well. So that helped kill them I am sure.

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

iitara, thanks for posting your beautiful pictures of your sangs! I am in the SFV, do you think they would make it here? Tom, that is a beauty of a yellow sang you posted, thanks.

• karmahappytoes
    15 years ago

iiiitara, when I read posts like the one above it scares me to death!! Honestly here what are you doing to protect ones collection when you get new ones? Were these in the soils and what did you do with the soil or were these in the ground? If in the ground what was removed?

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

Karma I know what you mean. When I had the SB brug last summer and it was in the ground around a old tree. I knew right then and there that I will never plant another brug there again.

Lucy

• iiiitara
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Don't act so terrified.

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Thank you Tom for the picture! It is beutiful.... :)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths