SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michelleluvsirises

Caught InThe Act! Seed Snatchers BEWARE!

michelleluvsirises
14 years ago

Just wanted to share a funny experience that I had today to which, I am sure, many of you can relate. Two coworkers and I decided to spend part of our lunch break walking through a park not too far from our office. I noticed several gorgeous plantings of pink and purple Wave petunias that had waaaaay too many seeds on them. Since I really "need" pink and purple petunias for wsing this year, I introduced my friends to seed-snatching. I've been trying to convince them to give winter sowing a chance and explaining how easy and rewarding it is for several months. They seemed to really enjoy the brainless tedium of sorting through the flowers on such a beautiful afternoon. After we'd "liberated" all of the ripe seed heads that we could find, one of my friends suggested that we drive over to the other side of the park where they had some really bright flowers to choose from.

The second bed was also beautiful, it had bright orange and white zinnias surrounding really neat, almost berry-colored cannas. We were so engrossed in the lesson that I was giving them about identifying ripe seed heads and sowing methods, and weeding out a large patch of night shade that I spotted growing amongst the flowers that we didn't even notice a man with a camera taking our picture until he was very close to us. He told us that he was on assignment with the state's largest newspaper, trying to get pictures of people taking advantage of the great weather!! :-)

After a few seconds of intense mortification, I decided to enlighten him to the fact that we were performing a little community service while on our lunch break by weeding the city's flower beds. He thought that it was such a great thing for us to do, especially since we are all State employees, that he asked if he could publish our pictures with a by line explaining what we were doing. Before I could say "no, of course not!", my other friend decided to chime in that they were helping me to gather seeds for my own personal use and gave the reporter each of our names!! I'll find out tomorrow morning if I'll be famous....:-/

Comments (8)

Sponsored