SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
molanic

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail Host Plant Help

molanic
12 years ago

I would like to try raising some eastern tiger swallowtails because for part of the season they are the most numerous butterflies in my yard.

I don't have any room to let the tree host plants mature. I did get some tulip tree seeds in a swap and have wintersown them. I hear they are fast growers and would like to try to keep them in a container and pruned to keep it manageable. Has anyone done this successfully? If so how fast do they really grow? I am somewhat concerned that I might get eggs on them when they are still seedlings and not be able to feed the cats.

I noticed in the FAQ that the magnolia and rose family are also listed as host plants. I have a rugosa rose and a small unknown species of magnolia tree as well. Has anyone here raised them on these species?

The magnolia is definitely not a sweet bay magnolia. All I know is that it was probably planted in the 70s, hardy to zone 5 at least, and was severely stunted and spindly from being planted under two silver maples with western exposure. All I have is pictures of it in blossom in mid April, if anyone can id it.

{{gwi:452490}}

Any advice is appreciated.

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022