SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kqcrna

How's your Yvonne's salvia doing?

kqcrna
15 years ago

Mine are about the same size as last year, the tallest about 50 inches. A few are positively puny. Hurricaine Ike blew over some of the plants, and some were so badly damaged by the storm that I'm yanking them.

I did collect some more seeds today. Ike also stole some of my seeds. On many stems the pods were just blown away and I'm left with bare stems. I definitely won't have as many seeds to share as I did last year, so I hope others are saving their seeds.

Anyone else harvesting these seeds?

Karen

Comments (30)

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i am harvesting some seeds, this is my first time with this plant thank you very much!! i got the seeds from you i believe :') mine are about a foot this year. at first i wasn't sure what the heck it was, all my markings got faded. but now, i'm soooooo happy!!! everyone wants those seeds!!! LOL i am happily getting them proper homes!! LOL ~Medo

• terrene
    15 years ago

Mine are about 4 feet tall and blooming prolifically! They are really pretty, so bright and colorful. I saw 2 hummingbirds fighting over the Yvonne's Salvia a couple days ago, just as they were fighting over the Lobelia cardinalis when that was in full bloom, so they must really like them.

I just collected a few seeds this morning from the first few seedheads that have dried up. I don't know how many seeds I'll end up getting, as they don't have too much more time to mature for the season.

{{gwi:366981}}

• Related Discussions

Have: Yvonne's Salvia & Echinacea tennesseensis

Q

Comments (5)
    This offer is now closed. I have sent an email to the 4 people above. Thanks and have a great day. jim
    ...See More

Question about Yvonne's Salvia

Q

Comments (6)
    Token I am very jealous that yours are 8 inches tall already. I haven't even sown them yet! Yes, I think Yvonne developed her own cultivar of a tall Salvia splendens. Just as the short bedding plants were cultivated to be short. How fun! :) My Yvonnes grew 3-4 feet tall and they even had some afternoon shade from the humongus Mammoth Sunflowers that grew 10-11 feet tall in the next bed. That wasn't really planned and it wasn't a great idea, letting those sunflowers (which were self-sown) grow in the middle of a sunny area, but I didn't think about it. This year, the Mammoth sunflowers are going in a sunny corner at the back of a tall bed (where everything's going to be 3-10 feet tall).
    ...See More

Yvonne's Salvia question for Token/Tom

Q

Comments (12)
    I wintersow and allow reseeds to grow and transplant them where I want them. You just have to wait until most of the frost has passed to wintersow them. And mulch around where the plants were to get reseeds. They don't like cold at all. And not all the seeds ripen. I probably sowed 50+ seeds, I got 30 plants. I sowed twice since the first batch was hit by some cold and just never took off. My latest batch has been repotted to give them time to grow since the slugs seem to love them.
    ...See More

How do I harvest Yvonne's Salvia seeds?

Q

Comments (2)
    If you look up inside the flower, you will see the seeds. When they are black, they are ready for harvest. You will see little white seeds too, they are not mature yet. After the top of the stalk is no longer going to bloom, I carefully cut the stalk and lay it on a paper towel. Some seeds will just fall out (black ones). Be careful because if you jar the stalk, many seeds just fall out before you get them to the towel. You may have to tear open some of them to get the seeds out. If there are any of the "internal" blooms at the top of the stalk, I don't cut them. These are the blooms the hummers go for and they are migrating now.
    ...See More
  • PVick
    15 years ago

Mine got a really late start this year, and are only about 1-1½ feet tall, But they are beginning to bloom like mad. Last year, they bloomed well into October and I got a good bit of seed. This year, might not be so lucky; the few seeds that have started to form have been blown away - very windy up here. I've still got seeds from last year, though ...

PV

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

terrene: Those are beautuful! Last year mine kept going through the first few very light frost or two, so they might surprise you.

I'm still hoping for lots of seeds, but I don't think I'll have as many as last year. But I'm collecting them in a big Macy's shopping bag so it's possible I have more than I think.

Karen

• northforker
    15 years ago

I received seed from you last year Karen and the plants are growing very well. Not quite 4' but very full and lots of blooms. I've not had any complete flower stalks "go dry" yet, but I did see some dried flowers on the bottom of a stalk and the seed looked ripe (dark) so I harvested those. Is that right? I am afraid if I wait till the whole stem is faded and dry, the seeds will all blow away.

Nancy

• medontdo
    15 years ago

yes, how do you all harvest the seeds without losing them? some of mine are gone when i get there. :'( which is ok in one way cuz i know there will be some plants there next year!! LOL but less to trade or give away!! LOL i do know next year, no dang angels trumpets next to them beauty's!! LOL
    ~Medo

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I usually harvest a stem when most seeds look mature and black. If a few at the top are still white, I just break those off and discard. I do find that the plant usually holds on to the seeds pretty well, they don't drop as fast as some others, like coral nymph.

Now that fall is here, seeds seem to mature faster than the first early flowers.

Karen

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

Mine disappeared. I have no idea what happened to them.

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That happens to my plants a lot, bakemom. But hearing those words from a pro make me feel better about it.

Karen

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

Oh honey, I am no pro, just very enthusiastic. The loss of the salvia vexes me b/c I was looking forward to them and they germinated just fine. Critters? Kids? Walkers? I have had it all.

Strike one.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i know, i go out ther and look and half of mine are gone, i looked down and couldn't tell, but i thought well, maybe the birds took off with them. at least they'd be making the area beautifull!! LOL i'm thinking next year of putting something down so i can catch them all. and then collect them later. maybe some of my tons of plastic i have!! LOL ~Medo

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bakemom: If we held a vote, you would indeed be deemed a pro.

Karen

• shasta_2008
    15 years ago

Mine are doing well, they are blooming like crazy now. I'd take a pic but it's dark already (8:15) I'd say mine are between 2- 2 1/2 ft. Next year I'm going to plant them in a heap of my compost maybe they'll be nice and tall like Yvonnes were!

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

I didn't get mine planted until very late so they are short but in full bloom.

• muttilili
    15 years ago

Mine are very short. Maybe 8 inches max- one has a bloom. THanks for the seeds Karen. I think I sowed all of them, so if anyone is willing to trade I would love to try again.
    Thanks
    Lisa

• duane456
    15 years ago

Mine got a real sssllllooowww start. They are about 3-4 feet. They got well over 5 feet last year in the same place in my garden. Flowering nicely, though.
    Duane

• tracey_nj6
    15 years ago

I haven't had good luck wintersowing them for the last 2 years. Instead I had sown them directly, in purchased manure. Mine only got to about 3', but are blooming beautifully, just in time for the frost around the corner, LOL...

• tndandelion
    15 years ago

Mine didn't get as tall as I would have hoped but they were still beautiful. I would guess about 3.5 feet? I may trying planting them in a different location next year. One plant was affected by aphids a bit but only a few blooms were ugly. I don't spray much so she had to tough it out. I didn't keep any of those seeds, though.

I don't know what it is about my area but everything gets huge around here but the Yvonne's Salvia wasn't as tall as I expected. My husband complimented me on it, though, and he really only comments on plants he's impressed with. Flowers are flowers to him, yanno? lol

I do have a few seeds saved and may be able to offer some out on SASBE soon.

• shasta_2008
    15 years ago

Here's mine! Not as full as some others but I tried. I don't know if they bloomed late because I was slow at getting them in or if they are indeed late bloomers. I will be saving seeds.

{{gwi:434816}}

• northerner_on
    15 years ago

I am so glad I saw this post because I am really enjoying my Yvonne's Salvia now. I got only ten seeds and they all germinated, but the plants stayed small soooo long. Then in August thy took off, are now all about 4 feet tall, and in full bloom. Must post a pic. At first I was disappointed with the first small blooms on the central stalks, but then I noticed all the shoots with flowers coming from the lower nodes, which grew to be about 10-12 inches long. And a pair of hummingbirds have come to them quite a few times. I guess it's just a late bloomer this far north. Thanks for the seeds Joe!! I hope I can collect some seeds for next year, and have some to share.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i went to my mom's today, and the salvia we got at the store for really cheap marked annual, and just "salvia" i noticed is the same as mine. yvonnes salvia. it has the same funny top when its starting. and the same 2nd red thing coming out. i thought that was funny!! and so neat!! but it's planted in the shade. we'll have to do something about that!! *grinn* ~Medo

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm glad that many have had pretty good success with them. It definitely seems like a plant that does better when started early indoors, like Yvonne's and Emily's. Mine haven't come closed to rivaling those in the 2 years that I've grown them. Still, they are the prettiest annual salvias I've ever seen.

Karen

• northerner_on
    15 years ago

Here's a pic. of mine taken early this morning. I wanted to get in the blooms, which are 10 - 12 inches long. The entire plants are between 4 & 5 feet tall.

{{gwi:434818}}

• terrene
    15 years ago

Lovely pictures! Yvonne's is such a pretty plant and I never get tired of looking at it. It has been a real high point in the garden.

Medo - Salvia splendens is a popular annual and looks very similar to Yvonne's - comes in pink and white too. Yvonne's looks like a taller cultivar of Salvia splendens to me.

I made a bouquet the other day for an older lady in the neighborhood. Yvonne's makes a great cutting flower. This picture is a little dark and doesn't really convey the colors!

{{gwi:434819}}
    Yvonne's Salvia, Physostegia virginiana (Obedient plant), Blue Wood Aster, Verbena bonariensis.

• bluesky_girl
    15 years ago

Mine did pretty good for having these for the first time - about 3 feet high. The hummingbirds loved the flowers. They are now re-blooming again after the first burst but I was glad to hear from the pro bakemom that she didn't know what happened to the seed. 'Cause I'm having a hard time finding the seed too. The brown shells left are empty for me. What is the trick to saving the seed - what's the signs that the seed is ripe? Any advice is welcome. I think I still have some seed left (I got mine from Emily) but I wanted to start learning how to save the seed from year to year.

• caroline_2008
    15 years ago

Karen , I am sorry to report that my Yvonne salvia did
    not make it, I winter sowed them , all the pics on here are
    just beautiful, I will try starting them in the house this
    spring. I planted all my seeds, but prob can get more some day. I did find one pkg of "Bonfire" at the ACE
    hardware store, this past week, all the box store and
    more have stored theirs away. :( One pkg was all
    they had. Not very many seed to a pkg. One of the plants
    that I winter sowed that I really like is the cosmos.
    First for me and they are still blooming great. Happy
    gardening , caroline

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

Salvia 'Bonfire' is very nice. I have planted it for several years but wasn't able to collect seed last year. Will be looking for seed this spring.

• liz_h
    15 years ago

Are any southern gardeners growing Yvonne's? It's beautiful and salvias in general do well here.

If you are growing it in the southern US, does it do better started indoors for you as well?

• medontdo
    15 years ago

from what i understand yvonnes salvia is a salvia that a woman named yvonne grew the salvia to be very large. she traded the salvia to another lady and that lady named them yvonne?? whne the lady had gotten older and couldn't trade anymore. something like that. but i don't remember the exact "brand" if she even named it. so it may be the same brand for that matter.it would be nice to have cuzins to the yvonnes salvia. i am getting seeds from the lady who traded with yvonne in the first place, she keeps all the letters that people send her. so the kids and i are going to write her. we have a soft spot for the elderly.
    i had forgotten that i got yvonnes from karen last year. LOL ummmm.... i call it beauty forget. LOL forget the beauty"s that you got!! Hee Hee. LOL ~Medo

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I started a new thread, with pictures, about harvesting the seeds.

Karen

Sponsored