SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

How I earned a "free" bulb!

Last weekend I flew to Sacramento for a conference, but was able to start the trip with a visit with the best college roomie ever!! As we were sitting out on her back porch, no doubt drinking wine, I noticed that she had a huge pot of amaryllis. I went over to look at it and found a huge pot of healthy bulbs so crowded that they were growing on top of each other with no place to go.

{{gwi:431894}}

When I asked Jean what color they were, she replied "Red and white", and so I thought that they must be a vigorous clump of H. Minerva or maybe H. Vittatum. She said she thought she probably should split them up, but it really hadn't been a priority. The next morning she showed me a cell phone photo that she had taken. This is a photo of that photo (sorry for the poor quality!). Yep...they were H. Papilo. Guess what? I told her it should be a priority and we decided we would tackle this on Monday morning, before the temps hit 100!!

{{gwi:431896}}

So, come Monday, dress in grubby garden clothes, we assembled shovels, pots, hand trowels and lots of soil! It was pretty easy to tip the pot over, and the tug-of-war began with her holding the pot and me pulling to separate the clump from the pot that had been its home for 10 years. I did some quick math and thought if a bulb put out 3-4 offsets once it got big enough (after 3-4 years) we could be dealing with a lot of bulbs. I hoped that Jean had enough pots!!

{{gwi:431898}}

After a very long time, and only 3 casualties that might make it in the end, we had 66 bulbs. We sorted them in the following group/size:

7 bulbs that would go back in the pot as "mother bulbs". These were about the size of baseballs if not bigger. We did find the original mother bulb in what remained of a plastic pot sunk into the huge pot.

{{gwi:431900}}

Then there were the rest. The top row are about the size of racquetballs, and what you would expect if you mail ordered an H. Papilio. All the bulbs under the top row varied in size...from medium to small size. There were even bulbs growing off the underside of the bulbs that had never seen daylight! Those are the white misshapen things.

{{gwi:431902}}

And here are the 3 that will need some TLC:

{{gwi:431904}}

So, after we got those all potted up, we returned the 7 extra large bulbs to the pot and called Jean's husband out into the yard to help us move it! That was a very heavy pot, but it looks great!!

{{gwi:431906}}

Oh, Jean and Jim have very green thumbs. They have a Eureka lemon tree. Jim says it's a freak because it puts out football sized lemons. This photo has not been altered in any way. I made lemonade out of it!

{{gwi:431908}}

Jean gave me a medium large bulb to bring back to Texas and I will think of my pal every time I look at it!

Kristi

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services
More Discussions