SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

doing a winter garden?

First please don't treat me as stupid for asking questions. I'm very much a novice with gardening, and yes I tried to grow stuff this year; this year and season was really my first real experience with growing things. I don't know all of the information others have accumulated with gardening via experience, because I don't have a ton of experience with gardening. If I need help with something I'll ask. I don't think it's stupid to ask advice about something you don't understand; I think it's stupid to attempt to do something by yourself that you have limited experience with.

Basically I have a few questions about winter gardening. It's something I'd like to attempt and I'd like to try the hot bed method, which is basically just covering the area you plan to grow your stuff with peat and manure. I know that I'd have to plant veggies now because seedlings aren't hardy like older plants are. This brings me to my first question which is do the plants have to be at full maturity for a winter garden to survive, or can they only be partially through their maturity provided their not seedlings?

Also I know that most cold weather stuff is hardy. However I know that even cold weather veggies have their limits and some cold weather vegetables are hardier than others. Basically what vegetables are candidates for winter gardening? The only stuff I know of that can be grown in the dead of winter (the colder the climate, the more the flavor improves) are collard greens, kale, and parsnips.

The only other things I know of are lettuce and pak choi (baby bok choy), and that's because I grew and harvested them in the spring. I didn't even know if they would germinate because the top layer of soil I planted them in became half frozen. However I don't even know if these could be grown in the winter, because when I sowed them it was late spring where I'm at (mid to late April).

Would it be feasible to grow root veggies in a winter garden since the edible part will be underground or not?

I know with winter gardening you have to have some type of covering to protect the veggies. I've done a little research and you can make such a thing by using old window frames. Unfortunately this isn't an option for me. Can anybody recommend something easy to construct that is cheap for the cost of materials?

Comments (5)

Sponsored