SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jodik_gw

A Word Of Caution On Neglect...

jodik_gw
14 years ago

As many of you know, we've been working hard to start a small plant business, our niche being hardy roses. In the interest of getting it off the ground, I've been devoting most of my time to working outdoors... planting roses, setting up new garden areas, and all the work entailed in getting the landscaping done and the beginnings of the business moving forward.

In the interim, I have grossly neglected my bulbs. I had planned to re-pot many of them this past spring, but the time got away from me. I have many bulbs planted in my new custom mixed medium, but I still have some languishing in the old potting soil I used to use. As I was watering last night... and I know night time is not the best time for watering, but it's about the only time I have... I decided to check a few bulbs that weren't growing a little more closely.

I had thought two of my Red Lions were simply dormant... but it turns out they were incredibly dead! They were just hollow, dried husks sitting in the pot. Every single root was rotted, and there was no life left in either bulb. This is the same thing that happened to my Apple Blossom. It just got smaller and smaller, and then turned into a dried husk.

I immediately checked out some of my other bulbs that weren't in green growth, and I definitely have a few problems! My Nerine was dead... a Sprekelia was dead, but its baby was alive... and I know there are more.

The bulbs in my new medium are all doing well... but almost every bulb I neglected to re-pot is a mess. Luckily, most of them are just cheap, common varieties... the Red Lions, the Apple Blossoms, the garden variety sold as whites, pinks, or reds... but even so, I'm very disappointed... at me!

I'm angry at myself, because this is all my fault! I should have been paying closer attention! I should have been actually feeling each bulb to check for plumpness... and I should have taken the time to re-pot everything... not just some! I've been very slack in my grooming, too... and that would have helped a lot!

And so... today, I'm devoting time to my bulbs. I'm going to tear apart the entire jungle and un-pot every single bulb I have. I'm going to re-pot everyone, groom them all, and make sure they are all healthy, or on their way to becoming healthy.

I guess my words of caution are mostly for myself... but if anyone can take something out of what I write, I'm glad to have shared my story.

I just hope I have enough granite chips and pine bark to make the amount of medium I'll need!

On a happier note, my tiny little Peach Blossom bulb is finally waking up! She has two beautiful little green leaves coming up!

The moral of the story is... a hands on approach to indoor bulb gardening is the best!

I wish you all Happy Gardening!

Comments (21)

• rosco_p
    14 years ago

Jodi: Sorry to hear of the desssimation of your bulb collection. I guess we all learn from experience and also from the tales and experiences of others that awaken us to check our own more closely. Thanks for sharing your story and also thankyou for sharing all the pictures of your gardening experience that you do. Ross.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    14 years ago

I know the feeling Jodi. I have lost only a couple this year, but there's nothing like that feeling of surprise when you look at a bulb that's gotten shoved to the back and, as you said, it's nothing but a dried husk. This year I lost my Grand Cru (from WalMart) and my Rembrant van Rijn (from RC....whaaaaaa!!!). Now whenever I am checking bulbs, I do reach all the way back and feel the bulb for being solid. Since I am using the systemic, haven't had any soft bulbs...and losing a couple from rot (even though they were cool bulbs) isn't the end of my world. I'm not happy, but definitely a teaching moment. I've been pretty good about placing bulbs higher in the pot and this fall, as I repot everything before they go in the greenhouse will give me a good chance for further inspection.

Kristi

• Related Discussions

A word of caution out there!

Q

Comments (2)
    Sorry to hear that. As we get older it especially important to take precautions. Yes. kick backs came be bad. I always pull the rope until the engine reached the compression stroke then give it pull. Even small engines like grass trimmers, small chain saws can kick back. But, the smaller ones usually don't hurt you. Notice I said usually?. Larger engines like your 12hp with large piston and weight can break even arms. Big old chain saws use to be really bad, new engines with compression releases usually iliminates kick back problems.
    ...See More

A word of caution about the plants at the big box stores

Q

Comments (13)
    As Silvia mentioned they have thorns.....and we are not talking about blackberry type thorns we are talking about huge curved talons. In an urban landscape, a manicured yard they would be a problem but for those of us with a bit more elbow room they pose no real problems. I planted them in partial sun and gave them 40 feet X 10', liked them so doubled their space allotment and they seem to like the spot. Behind them it gets shadier and shadier as the big live oaks start and they can spread that way as far as they can but my guess is they won't. They did get nipped a bit by the cold this last winter. The key with them is mulch to keep the soil moist and adequate water. By the look of the initial burst of flower buds it is a 20 fold increase over last year. Last summer they stopped at about 6 feet tall and dime sized canes..this year the first canes are already twice as thick as last years so I know I will need to trellis them and prune the tips as they get to 6 feet tall or so. The trellising really helps to control them and make the picking easier and allow more plants to get better light. Far as keeping it in check....it gets mowed around and so far has behaved. The critters have not bothered it much at all but they are welcome to a few if they would like. I don't think the squirrels will brave the thorns and if they are that brave they are welcome to a treat. I love that it produces fruit all summer long after the other berry plants are done.
    ...See More

A word of caution Greenhouse Fever...

Q

Comments (4)
    How is your greenhouse doing this year? Did it survive the entire year and this winter? or did you take it down? We've moved to Delaware from PA & I'm loving it! I can't wait to hear the chatter of when to plant! It may be too windy for a greenhouse where I'm at... but maybe a "small" short cold frame type of set up... yes... that may work. :)
    ...See More

Off topic Word of Caution

Q

Comments (12)
    Since I'd had so many problems receiving e-mails from this site...I went in and amended mine too. So thanks, Carol, for the heads up. I'm posting to see if the changes help my page..we'll see. I sure HATE that the moderators here can't help us with this problem since their garden gnomes seem to go haywire wayyyyyy too much.
    ...See More
  • holantina
    14 years ago

Dear Jodik,

So sorry to hear about your bulbs. I know the feeling...
    But, please do not be so hard on yourself. A day has only 24 hours, 8 of which we already spend sleeping. That leaves us just 16... And you were so busy! Come one.... is it not your fault!
    I've also lost a few last season. Because of lack of space i had to bring them outside. It was not such a good idea after all. On the other hand, the did get the sun they so much needed, but they got all kinds of pests. For instance woodlice, because my garden is very humid. It gets just a few hours of sun a day in the summer and it rains really A LOT in Holland. There were also a lot of snails, more than other years .... and earwigs. The affected bulbs survived, but some bulbs (among "Aphrodite" and "Naranja") had a hole just above the basal plate, where the bulb curls into the basalplate. Inside the hole i always found one single brown fat larva, around 7 or 8 mm long. Probably a narcisus fly? I still hope it wasn't that. I was very sad, since Aprodite & Naranja were completely lost. And those were my favourite. I love Naranja! It looks like its petals are covered with myriads of tiny diamonds. Really a stunning cultivar. I was so sad i could cry. My husband saw me standing in the garden and even came to me, thinking i was feeling ill. But i was just very, very sad.

I wish you a lot of strengh and don't beat yourself like that, just buy new ones and begin again with the experience you've gained.

Big hug,

~Lourdes~

• phoenixryan
    14 years ago

Jodi, so sorry to hear about your losses. I think the real trick is to find the perfect balance of attention so as not to smother or neglect.

I had been neglecting my Emerald bulb which was planted outside. I lifted it yesterday to divide the babies, and was shocked to find the basal plate was over a half inch thick! You could see all the layers of previous growth that had died and composted away (the bulb was healthy with no signs of rot), but now I understand how the bulb literally was lifting itself up out of the ground! I'll try and remember to post a photo this evening. Its just the funniest looking thing I've seen on a bulb.

Phoenix Ryan

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, all... it's my pleasure to share pictures, stories, and everything I do with my bulbs... in the hopes that maybe someone can use a bit or two of the information, or smile when they see a particular flower they like, etc...

I should have been paying closer attention to them, so it is my fault. I figured they'd be fine until I could get around to re-potting. I'm not going to beat myself up over it, though... these things happen.

We live and learn... it's part of the process. And really, there is a bright side... I now have room for a few new bulbs!

This past spring and summer just flew by... I was so busy outside that I didn't have time to do much but give a quick watering now and then to my bulbs. The funny thing is... after checking the bulbs I have in the north facing window, those are plump, green, and growing huge leaves! And there is no supplemental lighting in that area... I wonder why those are doing so well? They're still potted in yucky old potting soil. They all bloomed earlier this spring, too.

I keep wondering if some bugs got in here and might be responsible for some of the issues... but I don't see anything other than a few fruit flies and a few of those orange ladybug look-alikes.

In any case, we're going tomorrow to get more granite chips and pine bark, so it looks like I'll be devoting time tomorrow to re-potting my jungle.

Thanks again for all the good thoughts... and I can't wait to see your funny looking bulb that pushed itself out of the ground, Ryan! My Minerva is doing that, too... between her and her baby, they've got a good sized pot filled, and then some! The bamboo hoop that was helping to hold up their leaves is half out of the pot!

• snowdogmama
    14 years ago

I feel your pain. Last November I broke my ankle and wasn't able to get to the greenhouse very often until the end of January. Didn't dare try to walk thru the snow. I lost a few plants and a few amaryllis. The amaryllis I lost were mostly newly planted hybrids. Just be grateful that you now have extra space for more plants :)

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow... breaking an ankle could really set back a greenhouse... I'm always hoping I remain in tact, even though I'm terribly clumsy! So far, so good! :-)

Oh, I am thankful! I've made a short list of varieties to be on the lookout for... I hope our local garden center has a couple of them this year!

• snowdogmama
    14 years ago

I was pulled down by a very large dog that was in labor. She didn't want to go to the vet and get checked. I have only been out of the soft brace for a few weeks, and some days it still hurts. Definitely not fun. What varieties are you looking for?

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What breed of dog, mymimi43? Speaking of dogs in labor, my little Maia was just determined to be pregnant! Puppies soon! We haven't had little ones in the house since she was born... it will be kind of nice! :-) We're retired breeders... I sort of miss the occasional litter.

I'll be on the lookout for Apple Blossom, for one... I just haven't gotten a strong bulb, even though this is a rather common variety. I'm sure to find one locally... every store carries this one around Christmas. I'm waiting for our local garden center to get their selection in... they usually have around a dozen varieties, or more... nice ones, too!

I hope your ankle gets better... it's no fun walking around in pain. Take it from me, chronic pain sufferer! And winter is so much worse for bone pain! Take it easy... keep that foot up!

• beachplant
    14 years ago

Oh, your poor bulbs! We've all been there for one reason or another. We had just gotten the garden back in shape from Ike and the 4' of salt water when the roofers burned the house up. So the garden has been totally ignored for months. We lost a few things including a couple of Jims bonsai and other stuff needs a machete to get through.
    Such is the life of a gardener. I just look at it as an opportunity to BUY MORE PLANTS!
    Tally HO!

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, yes... I now have room for a few new ones, and I didn't expect that! I have so many bulbs that I'm almost glad the weaker ones showed themselves with a little bit of neglect. Now, I can replace those.

How's the yard coming along, Tally?

• snowdogmama
    14 years ago

dogs......... giant alaskan malamute. appleblossom shouldnt be to hard to find. have swine flu, dont feel like posting. will return in a couple of days.......

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, no... I hope you feel better soon. Any flu is horrible, but this is supposed to be the worst. Do take care of yourself.

An Apple Blossom should be easy to locate... once all the stores get their bulb displays up. I can't wait to go bulb shopping!

• ninecrow
    14 years ago

CONGRATS on Maia being determined to be pregnant!!!! Ummm This was a Planned Litter, Right???? ***Smiley***

I'm Sorry that You've lost some of Your Bulbs

• Noni Morrison
    14 years ago

Jodi, Congratulations on the coming puppies! Our GOrdie baby, Shan, is now 4 months old and growing so fast! It must be the switch in puppy chow, LOL. Well, I sure know what you mean about being a bit overextended on the summer gardening and not having time for the amaryllis. Fortunately mine rather liked the neglect aside from the Narcissus bulb fly attacks.

Just got diagnosed with metatasalgia yesterday after limping around for 2 weeks. I am wearing a "Boot" for the next 6 weeks.(Comes from overworking the tendons, go figure!) Good thing the summer garden is about done. I am worried about getting my 1000 new daffodils in and all the other bulbs, minor and major. Most of the tulips go in crates. They will do OK if I can get them in by Jan 1, though so not panic time. We are supposed to have a warmer and dryer winter this year then usual. IF the "dryer" part is true it could be quite nice.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you! Yes, Maia's litter was planned... we've had people begging us to make a breeding, so every pup she gives birth to already has a home. I suspect she won't have enough to cover the "wanted list". I am eager to see how well she produces, though! I just might keep one for myself... depending on how many she has and what they look like. If they favor her, I'd definitely want one... if they favor the sire... well, it would be a nice dog, but not the body style I prefer.

It seems like only yesterday Maia was a baby... yes, these little balls of energy and fur sure do grow up fast!

The surprising thing about the bulbs I lost is that they were all common varieties from the cheaper kit purchases I made... Red Lion and Apple Blossom. I'm not sure why... weak genetics? Are they being over-cloned/over-produced? I don't really know what to think, but there it is.

Lizalily, I hope your foot heals well and fast. Be careful of not overdoing anything! I've been in sad shape on and off all summer... I keep over-working myself, and then I suffer... it's my own fault, but there's so much to do! I really can't afford to take too many rest days!

I'm not sure what sort of winter we're in for... I hope mild and dry... that would help immensely! We had so much rain this past spring and summer... a mild winter would help everything survive, and it would sure make me feel better!

Thanks for the good wishes... I'm on top of the bulb thing now, and plan to finish up the re-potting as soon as I get a new supply of granite chips and pine bark in. With all this to do, all the tulips and daffodils that need planting, all the winterizing I need to do in the gardens, and Maia getting ready to give birth... it's gonna be a busy autumn and winter!

• radagast
    14 years ago

Ouch... my sympathies!

I recall the worst case of neglect on my part: it was near the end of college and I was really busy with school-related tasks, so my houseplants were somewhat neglected at the time. A bunch of spidermites set up shop in my ivy plants and stripped half the leaves off of them before I caught it - not fun!

Lizalily and Jodik, please take care of yourselves and don't overdo it.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ah yes... spider mites! I had a bad infestation this past summer on an order of miniature roses we got in. They set up house before I realized it, and I ended up spraying the whole lot with a miticide. Nasty little buggers! They love warm, dry environments.

There are actually a type of microscopic mite that can harm hippeastrum bulbs... I can't even pronounce the name, let alone spell it... but I'm sure someone here knows the mites I'm talking about. They cause red streaking on the leaves and scapes, and also distortions in the leaves. I've used a 3 in 1 insecticide/miticide/fungicide on them with good results.

School is important, so I don't blame you for neglecting your houseplants in favor of getting your work done. It's disappointing, though, when you realize that your neglect caused the loss of some plants... or in my case, bulbs.

I'm trying to take it easy... but today looks good for getting some tulips planted out there! So, I'm off to see how dry the ground is... I hope it's ready! I'm so behind schedule!

• Noni Morrison
    14 years ago

My tulips have not arrived yet. Which with my foot out of action is just as well, but October weather is so much better then November and December for working outside. But with the bulbs will come all my amaryllis. I want them now. They always cheer me up when I am recovering from something! Fortunately I still have half of my Australian ones to go.

• wesley_butterflies
    14 years ago

Good luck on your new rose adventure. My Mrs. suggested I get one of them Ammerillis things so I did. I guess she thought I was bored growing some roses I promise you I was not. At any rate I would carry it out while working on the roses and let it get some air during the later part of summer while growing rather fond of it. It has yet to flower for me but I will say I did learn alot about this plant from history to propergation all of which is very interesting. It's a grand adventure for me with just the one. I do hope you enjoy all of yours as much as I do mine.

See yah in that other forum

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, it turns out the ground is still too muddy to plant fall bulbs... I took a shovel and two bags of bulbs out to the front rose beds, and though I did manage to get in about 20 bulbs, the soil was clumpy and wet... not quite right for bulb planting. Today was sunny and windy, so hopefully that helps dry things up a bit. I'd love to spend the next few days bulb planting and getting things ready for winter.

Thank you, wesley... the roses have been quite an adventure so far! They're one of my very favorite outdoor plants... the variety of color, shape, and scent is so incredible! I'll spend winter making permanent metal tags for each rose... and hopefully, by spring, we'll break ground for a new greenhouse to propagate cuttings. We've jumped in head first, and I still have a lot to learn... but what could be better than making a business out of something you love? We've already been invited to be on two different garden tours, locally. That should be interesting!

With the proper care, your bulb should bloom sometime this coming spring or early summer... you'll enjoy it so much, you may even begin collecting... as most of us do!

Lizalily, I hope you are well enough to plant everything when it all arrives! Rest up! :-)

Sponsored
More Discussions