SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pamelia00

Veteran wintersowers - What containers are you using now?

Pamela Church
15 years ago

This will be my third year of wintersowing and it seems that I change my method every year. The first year, I used a combination of milk jugs, 2-liter bottles, and plastic cups in clear storage boxes. Last year, I used aluminum steamer pans with clear trash bags almost exclusively. The plants did well both years, but I wasn't satisfied with the amount of watering needed or the ease of getting them out. The smaller containers needed more tending as the weather warmed (which it does here early) and the pans didn't hold the depth of soil I wanted (I like it deep to get the good root development and to reduce the amount of watering needed before planting out).

This year's method is thanks to an auction my hubby and I attended yesterday. There was a pile of plastic plant pots (probably around 500 or so) that the auctioneer gave away. Since no one else was interested, I took most of them. I think they are quart pots, about 6 inches deep, and 5 inches wide. My plan is to fill the individual pots, them put as many that will fit in the steamer trays, and once again used the clear trash bags. I also plan to be a bit stingier with my seed, and plant lightly, but we'll see how that goes, especially with the itsy bitsy seed, lol!

What containers and methods are you planning on for the coming season of winter-sowing?

Comments (23)

Sponsored