SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aquilegia6

If you had access to a greenhouse, would you wintersow?

aquilegia6
15 years ago

I've recently moved back to my parents' neighbourhood and purchased a house on acreage where I have grand plans for my gardens. My parents have a lovely little glasshouse which is unheated except for a bench with bottom heat. They start all their tomatoes, peppers, and other veggies in there and the plants do really well.

I had been reading about WSing so I decided to try an experiment with some seeds from trades that I had lots of. I started them on the same day both in the greenhouse and in WS containers (in late Feb). So far, NOTHING has sprouted outside, but the following have been up for a few weeks inside and are growing beautifully:

Crocosmia 'Lucifer'

Malva moschata

Aquilegia

Penstemon 'Husker Red' (I think - there's only one and it could be a weed)

Plus I have a whole bunch of other things that I started inside and didn't bother WSing. The one thing I'm really hoping for in a WS container is Primula japonica, because it needs cold and can be very tricky. I put half in the fridge for a cold treatment, and WSed the other half. We'll see which works better.

So... what do you think? I love being in the greenhouse on sunny days when you can almost watch the seedlings grow. But there is limited space - I only get what's not taken up by the veggies. Should I keep WSing? Will I get sprouts in my WS containers? I'm beginning to wonder...

Comments (12)

Sponsored