SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aseedisapromise

What should I do with these begonias?

aseedisapromise
12 years ago

Here are a couple of photos of begonias that I have. I can't remember the name of the red one, and I never had the name of the white one, which was some cheapie I bought at KMart three years ago

{{gwi:438695}}{{gwi:438696}}

The first year I had the white one, I rotted the root by keeping watering it in the fall, when I think maybe it really wanted to go dormant. I am pretty ignorant about all this, but I saved the plant because I could root a cutting of it easily. I have done this several times. It kind of gets really long stems after a time, so I have done this a lot. I can't remember for sure, but I think the next year I successfully got the cutting to go dormant, and took some other cuttings of it, and the root or corm or whatever it is did grow again in the spring, and I had the cuttings too, but I can't remember for sure, or what I did. It doesn't show any inclination to go dormant so far this year. The photo was taken back in July, so the stem with the flowers is about twice a s long now. Before, when it was going dormant, I think it would sort of abandon stems, and they would kind of shrivel, but this plant right now is blooming off of new growth it just put on after I moved it to our new house.

The red one I know I did get it to dry up in the fall, and then it did grow again last spring. It too is happy in our new house and not really showing any signs of going dormant. Our new house is warmer and better insulated, and they were outside where it was getting cooler and brought it to where is was warmer.

So my question is, can I just quit watering them to get them to go dormant? Do they need to be cold to get the idea? I just don't think I have enough sunny spots for all the things I need to overwinter in the new house. Also, it is now freezing some at night, so I don't want to put them outside much. I do have a three season room that isn't quite freezing yet, and I could put them there if needed. What do you think should I do with them?

Comments (10)