SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cuddlyotter

Bringing bulbs back out of dormancy

cuddlyotter
16 years ago

Hello everyone:

It's been a very long time since I've posted here; it seems like I've missed alot.

I've brought my Amaryllis back out of dormancy and what I've done this year (contrary to what experienced growers might say) is pull all my bulbs out of their pots and wash away all the soil. I did this specifically to help rid myself of those pesky fungus gnats which I had last year. When I pulled the bulbs out for storage (sometime around late August), I noticed that some of them had lost a lot of their roots. I just stored them in a dark closet (I'm in an apartment and cannot give them the cool treatment :-( ) and allowed them to dry fully with their leaves intact.

My question is this. What should I do to encourage good root growth knowing that this will help spur lots of leaf development? I know I shouldn't be so gung ho right now to fertilize as the bulbs have to have a decent root system in order to utilize the nutrients.

Also, one other thing I noticed when taking the bulbs out of the pots is that some of the varieties had given me fantastic results re: LOTS of leaves. Some had grown up to 15 leaves after flowering! BUT, the size of the bulb in relation to the amount of leaves was very disappointing. What may I have missed there. I had the plants under my HID lighting but it was a Metal Halide light. I've since put back in my High Pressure Sodium light and will see if that makes a difference. The fertilizer I use during leaf growth is: 18-9-27.

Thanks in advance for all your good advice.

Gerard.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
More Discussions