SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

Human casualty of Ike

I just received word that a friend of mine was killed by a falling tree during hurricane Ike. Sandy Tykol (Huntsville, TX) was a Master Gardener and she and I had exchanged many cuttings, etc. She even offered a safe home to a dove that I had handfed in her heavily wooded acre on Elkins Lake. "Dovey" spent many seasons on Sandy's land and was easily recognized by the bald spot on the back of her neck, so Sandy would often report to me that she had seen Dovey.

Sandy was killed as she slept in the early morning hours last Saturday as the storm raged on. Authorites say that she never knew what happened as the tree fell very quickly. Her husband was seriously injured but he is recovering. I find it ironic that someone who loved and nutured her landscaping was taken out by it. Her obituary said that she is now tending God's garden in heaven.

To make this list related, Sandy grew several beautiful varieties of amaryllis as well as other bulbs. I didn't take as much interest in them as we both also grew orchids, and I hadn't been to her house this year when my interest in amaryllis really bloomed. She had a beautiful greenhouse that was accessible from the house and walking into it was like walking into another world.

Just goes to show you, each day is a gift...that's why it's called the present.

Kristi

Spring, TX

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions