SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
green_101

Non-invasive Shade Tree?

green-101
15 years ago

This seems to be a great forum for garden questions. After 3 weeks of combing nurseries, books and the web, I still have not found the right tree for my yard.

Two years ago in Gilbert, the top half of my beautiful 8-year old Ficus Natida froze. I was tempted to trim and let it re-grow but the roots were shallow and headed for the sidewalk, and the side opposite the exposed roots was top-heavy and leaning toward a neighbor's house.

I would like to find a shade tree that can safely be planted within 4-5 feet of a sewer line on one side and almost as close to a sidewalk on the other. The perfect tree would be evergreen or, if deciduous, have large leaves that all drop at once and not produce noticeable pollen or seeds. I prefer dark green leaves and good shade (south side of the house) but hopefully not so much shade that grass won't grow under it. A good size would be 20-30 ft. tall and wide and it should require minimal trimming (the kind I can do myself).

I've learned a bit about how to stake, and when not to, so shouldn't have the leaning problem again. As much as I enjoy the lawn, I can take it out if necessary to get deep rooting on a good tree.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Comments (5)