SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njbiology

Advice: Soilfilled Bog; conflicting techniques & misc. questions

njbiology
19 years ago

Hi,

I want to surround my entire pond with a soil-filled bog garden, using 45 mil liner.

I have two questions, which are both related to overwintering of the garden [depth & drainage].

As for depth, some say: 10-12" is fine for most plants, while others say NO less then 2 feet in depth.

1.So, the questions is: in the winter, since the ground freezes [where i am, zone 6b] many inches down, if i make the bog only 12", wont all of the plants freeze solid and die.

For bogs 2 feet in depth, i read a recommendation to *have the walls of the liner stop almost a foot BEFORE ground surface so that the water that saturates the very base of the bog where the roots are wont freeze solid and all of the soil between the ground level and 12" down will slowly drain away. This sound like a good idea. However, will it basically retain no water, since the upper 12" of bog soil is not confined by the liner? [i dont want to pierce holes in the liner for drainage, as roots will eventually expand those holes with time]

2. For pickerel plant, iris, sweetflag, and marsh marigold, wouldn't 12" be as far down as their roots go? If this is true, i wont make my bog 2 feet deep.

thanks,

steve

Comments (5)

Sponsored